Dulce de Leche ice-cream anyone?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone: Perhaps, like me, you have been searching for some dulce de leche ice-cream since you have returned home from Argentina? I've been searching, but nothing has come close to Freddo's until I tried Talenti's Dulce de leche gelato. I found it at Whole Foods, but maybe other people have found it elsewhere. It's not cheap, but it is a lot closer than Freddo's. My taste buds may be out of touch with the real thing since it has been a year, but it is the closest I've come to the real thing. The other gelatos I've tried that claim that they are Argentine have been third rate. If anyone knows another brand they have enjoyed, I'd love to hear about it. Thanks.
Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 05:21 PM

I believe Häagen-Dazs sells Dulce de Leche ice cream in the US.
Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 05:28 PM

I found a dulce de leche pudding in the grocery store...Jello Brand, I think...but it was nothing like the Dulce de leche I have grown to love in BA....Also, Walmart sells canned Dulce de Leche..also disappointing...

I will begin my search of dulce de leche ice cream...

p.s. I cannot find good empanadas here in the USA either so my wife and I have been making our own...not bad...but very labor intensive to make the crust since we do not have pre packaged crust here....no rondos or tapas....
Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 05:38 PM
Original Poster

Hi AV: I have tried the Haagan-Dazs, but the only thing it had in common with Freddo's was the name. Very disappointing. The Talenti gelato bills itself as Argentine Dulce de Leche ice-cream. I thought it was pretty good, but then my taste buds may have forgotten how good Argentine dulce de leche really is!
Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

drdawggy: I found a Chilean import of canned dulce de leche (not the ice-cream) called La Lechera (a Nestle product) in the Hispanic food section of my local supermarket. Someone on this board, a while back suggested this to me, and I think it's pretty good over ice-cream!
Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 05:42 PM

Did I hear you say YOU have been making empanadas, Doc?

May I try them, when I get around to visiting the Lone Star State?