Search

Driving Through Mexico

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28th, 2015, 04:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving Through Mexico

I am looking to travel from Tucson, AZ through to Cancun/Tulum, then to Mexico City on my way to San Diego next December. I have two questions.

1. Is this a reasonably safe plan for two twenty-something girls to drive through Mexico? I have read mixed reports; I would be interested to hear any personal experiences that you have to offer.

2. We plan on three full days of driving to get from Tucson to Tulum, then two days from Cancun to Mexico City, then two days Mexico City to San Diego. Can any one provide recommendations of where to stop those nights?

Thank you in advance!
Old Oct 28th, 2015, 05:24 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Google maps gives the miles Tucson to Tulum as 2300 miles, 35-42 hours driving so your timeframe for the drive would seem to me to be an underestimate. And with gas prices about the same, if I recall correctly, as in the US, I think you could fly for about what the gas would cost and have at least a week more at your destinations. Use taxis and buses for local transport. Unless there's a reason you haven't mentioned for the very long drive, I think it would be safer in general and cost little or no more to fly.
Old Oct 28th, 2015, 06:33 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I live in Mexico full time and drive several thousand miles each year, though not in all of the areas you mention. So I'll post the following.
1. Never, ever drive at night. The reasons are many.
2. Stick to the cuotas, or toll roads. Access is limited and your car is insured against road hazards if you have your receipt.
3. Get a Mexican Sim card. The Green Angels offer roadside assistance by dialing 078.
4. Get Mexican insurance. Your US insurance is not valid. Period.
5. Bring several thousand pesos for gas and tolls.
6. However long you figure it will take you to get between two points, figure on at least 30% more, to be safe. Please trust me on that.
7. Lodging. Hotels along the main highways are rare. You'll most likely need to venture into the bigger cities enroute, causing further delays and confusion. You may come across some "motels", but be aware they are typically used by locals for an hour or 2, if you get my drift. But they can be clean and secure.
8. Plan on a number of military/civil protection checkpoints. They may ask you inspect your car; let them, no worries. How's your Spanish?
All that said, safety (as far as carjackings and the like is concerned) shouldn't be an issue. But like mme mentioned, you've drastically underestimated your travel times.
Old Oct 28th, 2015, 06:50 PM

Baldone's advise is excellent!
PS I dive San Francisco Bay area freeways often but I stopped driving in Mexico for the most part a decade ago. Now I am 73 so I like leaving the driving to bus drivers now.
Old Oct 28th, 2015, 06:52 PM

ERR that's DRIVE although I do still SCUBA on occasion. LOL
Old Oct 29th, 2015, 05:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your helpful responses!!

We are in the beginning phases of planning an extended road trip, and thought it might be fun to add a few weeks to visit Mexico. Neither of us have ever been to Mexico, and we don't really have our hearts set on any particular destinations. I thought Tulum would be cool to see; but we are also considering just going from Tucson to Los Cabos then back to San Diego. Would that be a better route? It's significantly less miles haha.

We will definitely add more driving time. Neither of our Spanish is great, I took a first year university course in Spanish and can understand some very basic conversation but that's about it.

Any advice you can offer is hugely appreciated!
Old Oct 29th, 2015, 06:20 AM

I know lots of people who have driven from US to Cabo with no problems but you should know that the highway is rather narrow by US standards & some drivers enjoy playing "chicken" with on coming cars.
Still a most interesting journey that I have done via bus.
Old Oct 29th, 2015, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

So, I think we're going to forget about Tulum/Cancun, as much as I'd like to go there; and instead do either Los Cabos or Puerto Vallarta. Does anyone have a preference of the two that they'd like to share (and WHY!)

Also, any info on places to stop over on our way from Tucson or back to San Diego would be awesome!!

Thanks so much!!
Old Oct 29th, 2015, 03:19 PM

Cabo is rather Americanized with prices in dollars & menus in English. Also few swimable beaches there. It truly is a lovely setting & great fishing.
If you stick to Baja I prefer La Paz with gorgeous swimable beaches in the area, great diving & truly a peaceful place.
PV while having lots of Gringos is large enough to retain most of it's Mexican flavor. Great food & lots of night life.
My major grip is the constant (and I mean constant) harassment by beach peddlers. Now some will say just say no when you are asked but you will be asked a number of times a Minute at the main beaches all day long. Some of the smaller beaches such as the one at the Lindo Mar have but a handful of peddlers & are much more peaceful. PV is a good first time destination for new Mexican travelers in fact my first 30 years ago.
Old Oct 29th, 2015, 03:51 PM

Sydneyy, is it my imagination or were you also considering driving to PV? I thought I read that? Anyway, I think a Baja road trip would be cool. For many people, might be a once in a lifetime deal. Driving to PV would send you into areas of Mexico that have some serious travel advisories. So, if safety is a concern, avoiding those areas would give you peace of mind.
Regarding Stew's comment, what often happens is that a 2-lane with shoulders becomes 3 lane as drivers straddle the center line to pass slower traffic, forcing you to the shoulder. It's common and you are expected to yield, to both oncoming and traffic from behind.
Lots of English spoken in Baja, and dollars are accepted in many areas. But pesos are better.
Sounds like a great trip, one I'll probably never be able to do.
Old Oct 29th, 2015, 07:26 PM

Why is it that I now see the OP's last post? Thought I refreshed the browser; guess not. I guess I saw the post on my PC, not my tablet.
Stew, like you, PV was our first exposure to Mexico, some 25 years ago. Good place for first timers.
Old Nov 1st, 2015, 10:09 AM

I drive all over Mx and can tell you that like any other country with different terrain, populations, areas that are questionable, traffic patterns etc that there is no blanket answer to your question.
Couple things;
Plan on the max amount of time to cross the border in the event that there's a back up (there usually is) or if you get red flagged.
Look into the best places to cross the border. Last I heard - Laredo Tx was the easiest to cross.
Plan on driving through the border towns as early in the day as possible.
Check out a website called Yolisto. There's a person over there (can't remember his name, sorry) who keeps an updated blog on border crossing. He also recommends places to stay along the way - there's many of them. Lots, too with chain hotel names that you'll recognize.
Lastly, you really aren't giving yourself enough time to drive through Mx. Most of the driving is decent here but do know that public transportation here is top notch. Inexpensive, very clean and comfortable and runs on time.
Good luck!
Old Nov 4th, 2015, 08:52 AM

I am a good driver. Have driven about one million kms. 600 000 miles. At least.
An European one, not a U.S. One who lazily drives on large roads.
I am a man. So a better driver than a woman obviously.
So I went to Mexico.
All baldone says is totally correct.
It took us much more time than anticipated. Especially in the Chiapas.

Besides the country is beautiful and the inhabitants charming - would be a crime not to stop anywhere.
Old Nov 5th, 2015, 07:07 PM

LOL, yeah "obviously"
Old Nov 6th, 2015, 05:23 AM

Politically correct has not yet reached old Europe

The day it does I will be in big trouble !