Reload this Page >

Driving in the Mayan Rivera-how safe?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 03:24 PM
beachbreezes

How safe is it to drive in the Mayan Riviera? Would it be better to take buses and cabs or rent a car?

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 03:42 PM
IslandAnne

I was there with another female a few years ago and we rented a car. We rented the car in PDC and stayed in Akumal. We drove all over and felt perfectly safe. It's much more convenient to have a car. On our return, we drove to the airport in Cancun and returned it. I don't know how much buses cost, but cabs would be quite expensive if you wanted to do much sightseeing. Have fun; it's a great place!

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 10:23 AM
arriba!

We rented a car several ago and drove from Cancun to Tulum and a little further, stopping to stay several days in whatever place looked good. We had no problems and never felt unsafe. However, we received several warnings about driving that road at night. At that time, the road was rough with potholes. Cows and donkeys wander into the road and some sleep on the pavement because it is warm. Also, the vegetation grows right up to the pavement and wild animals have been known to dash out in front of you. Also, you would not want to be stranded in case of breakdown--might not be so safe. We were told to stay put at night, so we did.

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 12:50 PM
Laura Fern

Hell-o beachbreezes,<BR>My husband and I were robbed in the middle of the day when we just stopped at the side of the road to look at the map going down to the Tulum ruins from Playa in our rental car! This was the second day of our trip! Needless to say our trip was ruined by this event! We had travelers checks, but we also had some cash on us and they took our rings, my necklace, and watches! We were terrified. We will never return to Mexico! The police did nothing to help...they were probably in on it. I don't know if I would travel by bus either. We saw people on the side of the highway waiting for the buses and they looked pretty rough too. Maybe a cab???<BR>L.Fern

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 03:15 PM
Jean

Myself and a friend (2 females) traveled by collectivo (van bus) several times with absolutely no problem. Most of the people who take collectivos are other tourists or people who work at the resorts.

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 07:04 PM
Vago

35 years ago, I drove from L.A. to Guatemala & back. The most problems I had was with soldiers, policemen, & paramilitaries. My car broke down four times, always in the boondocks, and, invariably I waited no more than 10 minutes before some generous soul stopped & offered assistance. In short, the people are great. Watch out for gun-toters.

Old Mar 11th, 2002, 06:25 PM
Bill

Watch out for the speedy drivers,day or night. We were there in 91 and the roads were narrower and jungle covered,not so in 2001, it's a good highway now. We stayed in Tulum and drove to different places to eat at night. We never felt unsafe, using the same caution we use where we live.