Driving Guadaljara to Peurto Vallarta

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2004, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Six of us are flying into GDL next spring with our ultimate destination as PV. (The price of airfares really dictates that this is a wise choice!) I've found a couple of car rental agencies that offer minivans and the price isn't bad w/corporate discounts. My question is; has anyone done this? What was their experience? It looks like about 250 miles. I understand from reading the other posts that we should avoid night driving, buy insurance, be prepared for small monetary bribes etc. We're alright with all of this I'd only like to hear from someone who has done this same trip??
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 11:10 AM

We flew into PV in January, as the kick-off spot for trip to GDL, Guanajuato & Queretaro, all of which we did by bus. The ETN busline that runs from PV to GLD is a first class bus with big comfortable seats, is very cheap and if memory serves, it's about a 5 hour trip. I'd skip a rental car and recommend the ETN bus trip. Taxis are easy, cheap and plentiful in PV. Hope you make some time in GDL as it's a great walking- around city.
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 11:51 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Ditto above on recommending the bus. I'm pretty sure it's 4-1/2 to 5 hours max. And no need for a car once you arrive, if you are staying right in Puerto Vallarta.
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 05:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks much for your prompt responses. I was aware of the ETN bus from others - I need to check it out on the website. I'm wondering what the fares are for roundtrips (as we're also flying out of GDL)for six folks?? Also we're staying in Neuvo (sp?) Vallarta so we'll have to commute back north/west to our accommodations. Still, any drivers?
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 07:53 PM

While ETN and Primera Plus are VG, I suspect with six folks and luggage you would be better off with a rental van.
I have done rental cars, first class busses and "shuttle vans" from BJX to my home in San Miguel de Allende and found the shuttle most convenient for one or two. A rental car was better for local travel to Guanajuato, Dolores Hildago, Queretaro, Celaya, etc.
Driving in daytime and insurance are not a problem - your "premium" CC should cover what the rental company does not - however be sure to have "attorney care" in the worst case scenario.
M
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 01:37 PM

Driving from GDL to PV is very easy. First get your self a map. But the signs are posted and just follow the signs. No bribes to pay - just gas and tolls - need cash (pesos for both) as the gas stations do not take credit cards. Tolls will run you about $250.00 pesos once you hit the toll road. I drive roundtrip from Chicago to PV back and love the drive - very easy and definitely worth it. If you can read a map and follow the signs you will not have a problem. Write me direct and I can give the exact route to take. See email below.

Kathy
[email protected]