Driving from Jaco to Tamarindo

Nov 5th, 2003, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

Driving from Jaco to Tamarindo

We have 3 to 4 days we could spend driving between Jaco and Tamarindo. Are there any suggestions for highlights and places we should stay along the way. We are interested in great scenery, hiking, volcanoes. I'm assuming the roads aren't great but any particular routes we should avoid? Thanks
Nov 5th, 2003, 04:52 PM

You could do that in about 1/2 day. Is there a particular reason for taking 3-4 days? A great side trip just a few miles from Liberia if you go that way to Tamarindo would be Volcan Rincon de la Vieja. Most of the main roads between those two places are pretty good. Watch for cattle on the road, pot holes, and radar.
Nov 5th, 2003, 07:05 PM

From Jaco drive to Puntarenas and take the car ferry to Playa Naranjo; it's a really interesting trip across the bay to the Guanacaste peninsula with sights you won't see anywhere else. From there it is an easy drive to Tamarindo. Check out the old city of Nicoya on the way up. Suzie's advice on driving is very correct.
Nov 18th, 2003, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

Whoops, I guess I should have mentioned that we want to head towards Arenal National Park - so we are planning on a longer journey with deviations for interesting places. It's the deviations I was asking for suggestions on.