Driving around Puerto Vallarta

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2007, 04:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I have a wedding to go to in december near puerto vallarta and we're just going to turn it into a week long trip. One of our favorite things to do while travelling is to rent a car so we can get away from urban areas. Can anyone tell me how feasible this is in this part of Mexico - driving in foreign countries doesn't bother me - I've done it in a number of places now.
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 08:22 AM

Quite simple. The "majors" in larger cities are still affordable.
Lots of neat areas N and S of PV.
Use any of the travel sites (Fodor's; Trip Advisor, etc.) for the overview and then go to each auto rental site to perhaps find a better deal.
M
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 12:30 PM

it's very doable, though taxis are reasonable and plentiful throughout the city. There's a lot of traffic, parking is tight, but no worse than most big cities.
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 01:47 PM

Agree with above, driving very easy around PV. Another alternative is for $100.00 a day, you can rent a driver in his car to take you wherever you want to go. One year we went North to Sayulita, Guayabitos and La Penita. Another time we went south. Thursdays are market (tiangas) days in La Penita. December will have pretty heavy traffic in PV. Be aware in & around busy PV on some streets in order to turn left you exit to a side road on your RIGHT where you get in the side road left lane, then there will be a left turn signal. Sounds more complicated than it is. I found my driver at the stand adjoining Langostinos Restaurant on Los Muertos Beach. Benny is the owner of the "tickets for sale" stand and he drove us.
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 02:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Blondlady:

Where have you been??? You haven't visited this board in a long time. I was worried about you: I read an obit in the Sacto Bee about a woman from Sac that had a place in Puerto Vallarta!! I am so glad it wasn't you!! Hopefully you have been in PV soaking up the sun.

Take care,

MY
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 08:17 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Renting a car is totally feasible to go north, south, and inland from Puerto Vallarta. Car might be more of a hindrance within downtown proper, but easy for all the outlying areas.
Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 12:03 PM

Thank you Michelle. Just returned from PV June 14, As Suze mentioned in another post, HOT HOT & HUMID. I have been going on the Pacifico bus ($14.00 round trip) to Guayabitos and La Penita. Found in Guayabitos a fabulous restaurant--Armandos. Just down from Tequila Wily's (South end) on the beach. WE drove to PV in April, was very easy but looooooong trip.