Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

drive time from san jose to nicoya be beaches?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18th, 2007, 06:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

fodor's has 4 1/2 hours for the drive from san jose to both tamarindo and samara. is this pretty accurate? (playa samara is 34 miles closer to san jose, so i thought it w/b less). are there any (decent)pacific beaches in nicoya that we can get to in less drive time?
Old Dec 19th, 2007, 05:58 AM

Samara is the closest and easiest to get to from San Jose. The road is well paved the entire way. I think it's more like 5 hours to tamarindo depending on road conditions past Santa Cruz
Old Dec 19th, 2007, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

thank you, sean. do you know the approx time to playa samara? is samara a nice beach and town? jack
Old Dec 19th, 2007, 05:00 PM

It's about 4 hours from Alajuela (where the airport is located)> The entire route is pretty well paved. Samara is a nice place to spend a few nights. The town is small but the beach is nice and there are some good restaurants and drinking spots in town. Definitely better than Tamarindo.

You could also spend some time in Nosara, 30 minutes north
Old Dec 20th, 2007, 09:33 AM
Original Poster

thanks again, sean! yes, i'd rather drive than fly. can you recommend any mid-range hotels on the beach in samara? also, i will be doing another post for tamarindo. if i can find a nice deal on a beach hotel there, we may go for it. i still am not clear on the differences of all the beaches. jack
Old Dec 20th, 2007, 06:44 PM

Samara itself is pretty small so just just about everything is within a few blocks of the beach. the only place that is right on the beach is Las Brisas which looks really nice but is a bit removed form town. I've stayed at, and liked Hotel Giada on the main street just a fee blocks from the beach. The rooms are samll but clean and comfortable and they have two pools and a good Italian restaurant on the premises. Friends have stayed at and recomended Hotel Belvedere and Casa Del Mar
Old Dec 20th, 2007, 06:47 PM

PS - I'd skip Tamarindo. Just last month the beach was closed there due to extremely high levels are disease causing bacteria. The town has seen a ton of growth in the past several years and there is no sewer system so overfilled sceptic tanks couldn't handle all the waste and it runs into the ocean.
Old Dec 21st, 2007, 06:21 AM

Hi bodhijack!

Samara is closer and much faster to reach from San Jose, go to www.yourtravelmap.com for accurate driving times and driving distances.