Search

Dominical?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2004, 07:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dominical?

I was originally planning to stay at Hotel Villas Rio Mar in Dominical for a couple of days. An acquaintance who's familiar with Costa Rica mentioned that Dominical was dirty, lot of surfers and drugs, and suggested we avoid the area. Was this good advice? We will be staying in Manual Antonio for part of our 14 day trip, but would appreciate other destination ideas. Thanks
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 07:24 PM

We have been to Dominical twice and have not found it to be any worse than other tourist destinations. Yes, there are a lot of surfers there, its a great rivermouth break but they aren't all stoners! However, Dominical is a long bumpy ride from Manuel Antonio that I dont recommend unless you want to go further south from Dominical later. You might also check out Hacienda Baru, just a few kms. north of Dominical - very interesting, worth seeing.
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 06:16 PM

I agree that the road from Manuel Antonio is long & bumpy; however, I really enjoyed the area. If you go in January, you may be lucky enough to see whales at the Ballena National Park (near Uvita, south of Dominical.) What a stunning sight! There is a wonderful secluded hotel with stunning views nearby. I think it's called El Perezoso.

Audrey
Old Jan 11th, 2004, 08:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I'm considering Dominical as part of out itinerary once again.
Old Mar 20th, 2004, 04:19 AM
fay_rebuelta

Just got back from 9 days in Costa Rica, 4 in Manuel Antonio and 5 in Dominical. We love Costa Rica so much, that we're already planning to go back next year.

Our itinerary wasn't the best if you're trying to get away from tourists or other Americans. Since it was our first time to Costa and this was the shortest trip we'd ever taken, we allowed ourselves to take it as a lesson for our future travel there. And since it was our first and shortest trip to Costa, we didn't have the luxury of showing up without hotel reservations and negotiating prices(impossible to do in Manuel Antonio during this time of year, probable in Dominical).

MA is beautiful, but we will never go back again, as the prices were outrageous. Many people might find it reasonable if they're used to traveling to places like Hawaii or the party towns of Mexico. We did, however, stay at one of the best values (did a lot of research and compared other properties once we got there) -- check out my posting on Hotel La Colina from 3/19/04.

Dining in MA, if you're not eating at a soda, could cost about $35-$60 for two people with 2 drinks each, depending on where you eat. To me, that's a lot to spend on dinner each night in a place like Costa Rica, but some might not think so.

Domincal has a population of 700, but most are Americans, Canadians and Germans who came for vacation and never left. The surf is constantly going off and very consistent, so you get a lot of surfers who stay right on the beach to be able to check it from their window. You rarely hear any Spanish as you walk down the street. Everybody in the restaurants and shops speak English. It's kind of sad, b/c you feel like you're in a little America that just so happens to be in a small dusty town. There's nothing but tourist restaurants around. A few sodas are about, but if you're looking for culture, you will be deprived of it here.

Also, with all the surfers around, there is a vibe given off by year-round "locals" to "tourists" who come down to surf. Again, kind of sad and very ignorant (they obviously don't realize they are are not "locals" to Dominical and yet the real locals would never give off a negative vibe).

We stayed at Hotel Villas Rio Mar, which was great, but totally unnecessary. We could have stayed at Tortilla Flats or Cabinas San Clemente, which are right on the beach, but we didn't b/c the room cost $60 versus $80 at Rio Mar, and Rio Mar was way way nicer. So we figured we'd do it nicer. In the end, it would have been better for us to stay at on the beach, but we wonder what the vibe would have been like. Rio Mar is about a 15 minute walk into town, and with surfboards, that's not easy in hot weather. We got a surf package and the hotel actually had decent boards. Instead of providing either a short or longboard, they just gave us one of each! Ana at the tourism desk is extremely helpful -- with the varying tide times, she helped plan our other activities (canopy tour, kayaking, waterfalls - we didn't end up doing the waterfalls, b/c we rented a car instead) around appropriate timing.

Great service, but not necessary if you're just looking for surf.

Sorry to give a negative report, but I want to be honest with those people who travel differently from those who stay in the Best Westerns, Hiltons and Marriotts of the world or those who want to experience the real culture of the country they visit.

Even with this negative report, we still loved Costa Rica enough to go back next year (and we've never been to the same country twice), so that we can find some more untouristed parts of the country. Thinking about Pavones (Osa) and Mal Pais (Golfo de Nicoya).

Old Mar 21st, 2004, 08:35 PM

We stayed at Villas Rio Mar in July and had a great time. It was a nice respite from the busier, tourist-mecca of Manuel Antonio. One of the highlights of the trip was a horseback ride to the spectacular Nauyaca Waterfalls -- a total must-see.
The staff at the hotel was totally friendly. The road to Dominical was mess in the rainy season, but it's all part of the fun.
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 12:19 PM

Oh my Fay! Be glad you didn't stay at Tortilla Flats! It is so NOT worth $60, unless they have done a COMPLETE upgrade recently! I was there about three years ago and the place was faling apart! The outside looks fine but the room was awful and the bathroom was worse!

I agree with Nauyaca Falls, a MUST if in the area.

Regarding Povones, what a lovely place. NO one there but surfers though. It is not set up for tourism yet. Last I heard, about a year ago they still didn't have electricity in the area, but said 'it is coming'. We stayed in a great 'treehouse' totally screened, but still had some bugs. They had little car fans over the bed that ran on solar power, as does most everything in the area. And you won't find a bunch of Tico's there either. The "La Ponderosa" where we stayed was run by a couple young surfers from Florida. Great guys and a great place to stay, if it's still there. But you won't find any web sites for any hotels in Povones. It's a long haul to get there, too. If you want isolation, this is it...even more so than Drake bay/Cabo Matapalo area.!!
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 05:09 PM

We stayed two nights in Dominical at the wonderful Pacific Edge - four large casitas on a bluff high above the Pacific with million dollar views, not to mention toucans and flowers and a small, lovely pool. We loved it and hope to go back - it cost around $60 a night - breakfast was extra. We ate one night at Punta Dominical at a very good restaurant which was NOT touristy - they didn't speak any English. Another night at a great new Thai restaurant. If you don't need to be on the beach (and it's cooler up high) this place is great! I think the web site is www.Pacificedgeinfo.com
Old Apr 15th, 2011, 07:29 AM

Hello.

I think the hotel selection is important, there is a big difference between stay in Tortilla Flats and stay in Rio Mar, and the selection is more than select a Beach Front or River Front Hotel, the most important things are related with the quality of services, there is no discussion: Villas Rio Mar offer more than a simple room (Like tortilla), but in Dominical, ther are many other options (http://www.southerncostarica.biz/Dominical/cat-hotels/ ) that you could consider, many are in the middle of tortilla and Rio Mar.
Old Apr 15th, 2011, 08:54 AM

Why would you bring a 7-year old thread up to the top? Unless of course this is an attempt to get someone to click that link.