Domestic Flights in Brazil?

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 09:13 AM
Keely

Domestic Flights in Brazil?

I am traveling to Brazil Jan. 28-Feb. 14. I will be based in Belo Horizonte, but also traveling to Rio and Buzios. Does anyone know if I will have enough time to visit someplace in the Northeast of Brazil? And if I do, what is my best bet for cheap plane tickets (buy in US or Brazil)? Any help would be extremely appreciated!

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 11:05 AM
Bill

Depends, of course, how much time you will be spending in B.H. and RDJ/Buzios. You could look into a Brazil Airpass, but the value of it would depend on your other travel plans.

Brazil has it's lower-cost carriers (like VASP vasp.com.br), so I think that you might be better off booking that travel after you get to Brazil.

On the TAM website (www.tam.com.br), you could read about the Airpass ($530) and also check their Special Fares, for example:
R$217 each way B.H. - Rio
R$430 each way Rio - Salvador (up north)

Using an exchange rate of 3.5 to 1, that would be US$124 for the B.H. Rio roundtrip and US$245 for the Rio - Salvador roundtrip.

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 11:23 AM
liz

You can fly from Belo or Rio to Ilheus or Salvador in about an hour and a half. Here are some terrific resorts you could stay at:
Between Ilheus and Itacare
SUKHAVATI -- we just came back from 14 days there and loved it! Just 7 bungalows in front of the ocean, very much like Polynesia, gorgeous beach, good cooking, check out the website, about a 30 minute trip from the airport, the owner speaks 5 languages inc. English, lots of international visitors, very special and secluded.
TXAI -
A more expensive version of the above which also has a gorgeous 25 meter pool and slightly fancier cooking-bar service but otherwise is very similar, geared totally to couples, they will send a van to pick you up.
Above Salvador -
Praia do Forte -
A famous and traditional Brazilian resort on a lovely beach, again very Polynesia feel. The principal difference is that this more like a Club Med concept with lots of buffets, pool gymnastics, etc. The water in the ocean is very warm and there are lots of natural pools for looking at little fish. The lodgings are nice however in typical hotel like settings but all with balconies that open to beautiful landscapings. Very nice staff and cute town. About a 45 minute trip from the airport and they will arrange a van to pick you up. Geared more to families.
Any of these are doable as a 3 day trip, easily. Have fun.

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 11:25 AM
liz1

PS This is high season, the airfare to Bahia will run closer to US $350 round(Brazilian Real $1200.) It makes no difference if booked in the US or in Brazil but I would book immediately due to high season.

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 02:24 PM
Dilermando

In Brasil, there are a few low-fare aircarriers. Gol is the best one, it is safe, theirs is a fleet of brand-new airplanes. See website www.voegol.com.br/index_ie.htm for flights & fares. You may buy tickets by the web. If you can spare at least 4 days, go visit Salvador (state of Bahia, northeast): great city by the sea, great beaches, lots of historic / cultural / artistic attractions. One of our major touristic attractions. Should you need more information, just ask for. I wish you a nice stay in my country !

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 06:49 AM
E.BRAND

I am a travel agency in south of Brazil.
I recommend you buy "Brazilian Air Pass" in VARIG office in USA. If you want fly for exemple: Belo Horizonte to: Iguassu falls, Rio, Natal, Fortaleza you buy 3 tickets more 1 or more X will cost less. Consult VARIG AIRLINES CALL CENTER IN USA