Search

Digital Question

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2005, 03:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Digital Question

Just a quick question before we shove off out of the cold Chicagoland air for something better in Tico-land- We have a 5 megapixal digital camara. I have two questions- 1) how many photos will I shoot in a week (we have 3 children and are heading to La Paz, Arenal, MA and San Jose). If anybody would care to estimate I would appreciate it. I am thinking I'll be bored of shooting after 50 a day (350) total but I have never been there. Secondly, I am new to the digital camara world- how do the memory disks do through airport x-rays? Do I need special lead envelopes, etc? Mucho Gracias- only five more days!
Old Jan 28th, 2005, 05:14 AM

With a 35mm, we probably shoot in the neighborhood of 200 shots.

This is our first trip with the digital camera and are taking a 512mb card and a 128. I can't get a grasp on how many shots this 512 will actually hold. In talking to a salesperson, then reading the info on the package, the answers are far between.

Also taking a one time use waterproof camera and our 35mm for backup.

At least this year, I will not have to pay for developing 10 pics of the very same tree!

Yes as newbies to the digital world, we may get a bit carried away.

Don't forget extra batteries and your charger!
Old Jan 28th, 2005, 05:28 AM

Picture-taking varies from person to person, but I'd think 50 a day would be plenty. Keep in mind that you can erase photos that don't come out right at the end of each day.

We hooked ours up to the TV in our room each evening to review what we had--erased what we didn't like, and noted some that we would do retakes of.

No problem with x-rays.

http://digicamhelp.com/x-ray-and-pho...port-x-ray.htm
Old Jan 28th, 2005, 09:12 AM
lvk

Just something to look out for --Our 4mp Olympus had trouble handling the moisture. La Paz was our first stop and, while taking pictures of my kids near the waterfalls, it was exposed to the mist. It never performed properly after that, locking up on several occasions, and the flash stopped working. When carrying it around, it was always in a waterproof pouch. Some on this board have suggested placing silica packets in the case, others have had no problems at all.

The other big issue is battery use. Rechargables are best. My digital eats thru batteries at a rapid pace.

A couple of waterproof cameras are a good idea. We bought one for each of our kids, so they could take their own impressions of CR (cheaply developed at Costco).

Also, if you are going on a zip-line tour, I highly recommend buying the CD that some operators offer of your experience. The pictures on ours were of superior quality, and we didn't have to worry about damaging our camera while flying thru the rainforest.

Have a great time!
Old Jan 28th, 2005, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

How old are your kids IVK? We have two girls 10 1/2 and 8 and a boy 6 1/2. How old do you think kids need to be to zip line? Thanks for the camara tips-- DG,
Old Jan 28th, 2005, 09:53 AM
lvk

dineroguru,

My daughter is 11 and my son is 9. I've heard they take kids as young as 5. The exception is the "Superman" zip line at Turubari. There is a minumum weight requirement of about 100 lbs. They had to put this sandbag-type thing on my daughter's back to put her weight over the limit, but my son was too small.

On the regular ziplines, if your kids have any apprehension they can go hooked up to a guide. One guide asked anyone if they wanted to go upside down, hooked to him. My daughter did, and the pictures of her flying upside down over the river are priceless!

Your kids will have a blast!