dental implants

Jan 1st, 2008, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

dental implants

I would be interested in hearing from individuals that have had or are considering having dental work, specifically implants performed in Costa Rica. I am a candidate, and am having such work done in Jan. Thanks for any replies.
Jan 1st, 2008, 02:48 PM

Hi, I am sorry that I am replying, but I just could not help myself. Just make sure that the implantologist has had training here in the USA, that he is using dental implants from a reputable implant company such as Straumann (sp)?, and that if you are going to have the implants restored here in the US, that the system used in Costa Rica, it's still used in this country. Infection control and follow-ups are things to be considered as well. I am sure the cost of the procedure is the reason why you are having dental implants placed in a third world country, but please consider all factors before deciding on having any type of surgery performed outside the US.
Jan 1st, 2008, 10:19 PM

I can understand the cautionary message by the above poster but although I have not had implants does in Central America a couple of my in laws have - in Cartagena, Columbia - and the work was second to none and very cheap by World standards. They have been checked by Dentists outside Columbia with no adverse comments and only positive ones, especially about the prices.
Jan 2nd, 2008, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both for your input.
Jan 2nd, 2008, 07:23 AM

Hello

I don't have knowledge of implants in Costa Rica sorry, BUT I am going out there this month and hoping to have high quality replacement porcelain crowns/veneers and also cosmetic dentistry work carried out as it is so much cheaper than the UK.

The trip was not booked because of the dental situation but I thought it great to have a vacation and my (not too bad teeth) fixed at the same time.

Am I being foolish?

Your advice would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks

Gem
Jan 2nd, 2008, 09:36 AM

I have topped a recommendation for a dentist in Panama. He is very highly regarded, fluent in English and experienced.
Jan 2nd, 2008, 03:03 PM

I have not had work done there, but would certainly consider it. On our flight to San Jose in November we sat beside a lady who had implants done in San Jose by someone that was actually recommended by her doctor in Florida. It was several thousand dollars cheaper, she got excellent care, they picked her up at the airport, took her to her hotel and she goes back regularly for other work and check ups as it is so cheap and she loves Costa Rica. One of our travelers also stays over each time for his annual checkup and cleaning.
Jan 2nd, 2008, 03:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your response, the more I read and investigate, the more assuaged I become. My trip for a consultation is next week.
Jan 2nd, 2008, 04:35 PM

Our neice has a friend who had a different kind of implants and she was very happy with the result and price.

MY
Jan 2nd, 2008, 04:50 PM
Original Poster

some more positive reports, I love it
Sep 13th, 2013, 08:07 PM

Anyone who has not been to the country or had dental work, so what if you dont think its a good idea. Many of us have and the dentistry and quality of work is outstanding, at 1/10 the price. If the dentist didn't charge 2000$ for implants here, maybe no one would--OR SHOULD have to go elsewhere.

BY THE WAY---just because they are trained in US means nothing. Many US dentists are horrible. Many are excleent. Just being trained here is of no consequence. Some of the best dr's in the world were trained elsewhere.
Sep 16th, 2013, 11:35 AM

Having read with interest the posts on out of country dental care,and having been in the profession for many years,(now recently retired),I might offer the following observations:
A number of my former patients have received dental care in other countries,most notably in Mexico-mainly for root canal and crown and bridge treatment-at a fraction of the cost charged here.Of those treatments,I would estimate about 80% of the work survived the test of time-ie 5 years or more-not bad.The other 20% not so good.For these sorts of treatments,failure meant retreatment,or at worst losing the tooth.Of course,correcting any complications with the work meant either a trip back to Mexico,or paying regular fees to have the work corrected.
Implant placement takes on a somewhat more complex set of circumstances-everything from analysis of the underlying bone that may accept the implant(often ridge augmentation is necessary prior to placement),medical health issues that may affect the integration of the implant-just to name a few .Then there is the restorative phase of treatment-Who is placing the bridge,denture, etc?-for proper success,this all takes time and multiple appointments in most cases.And is your dentist at home able or willing to get involved with any complications that arise?-I know I wouldn't!I suppose if you were an ex-pat living part of the year in the country,or could easily access the provider for followup then such dental care may make more sense.
As an aside,I know that Costa Rica has an extensive dental and orthodontic laboratory industry to supply appliances to North American dentists-probably due to much lower labor costs.
Sep 17th, 2013, 12:16 PM

Please note that Costa Rica is not a third world country! The literacy rate is 98-99%, they have universal health care for a very reasonable cost & they disbanded the army in 1948 to spend the money on education. I have been going there for dental work since 1993, & have found my dentists there to have all be very patient-oriented, well-trained & reasonable in cost. My current dentist, Dr. Telma Rubenstein , has the most well-equipped office I've ever seen anyplace, & has the lab right there next door. What would have taken months & 3 different dentists in the U.S. was done to perfection in 2 lengthy days. I stay in a cottage at a ranch that specializes in medical tourists & has nursing care. They make all the appointments for me & supply all the transportation, including to/from the airport. Just returned last week from getting final dental implants, so will be posting about it soon on my travel blog , along with some photos of the ranch. What I save on dental costs more than covers my travel expenses, plus it saves me a lot of time. Oh, & I get to zipline, sail & eat lots of Tico food! Check with your CPA, as medical/dental travel may be tax deductible for you.
Jun 26th, 2016, 05:31 AM

No doubt this old thread got topped up by a troll whose comment has since been removed. Having had extensive dental work throughout my life I find it interesting reading. Medical tourism is not for me, and I have such faith in my dentist I often joke that I would leave my husband of 47 years before I’d change dentists. However, it is good to know that less expensive options are available so those who can travel don’t have to put so much of their money where their mouth is!

Now, can anyone suggest a good country to get inexpensive quality hearing aids?

Search this Thread