Search

Delayed Cancun Trip Report

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2003, 01:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Delayed Cancun Trip Report

Hi everyone! I've gained so much from using this website, I just wanted to give something back. Here is my delayed Cancun trip report...

My husband and I (25 and 23 years old at the time) took off in June for Cancun to celebrate our 1 year wedding anniversary. (We honeymooned at the same place the prior year, but were only there for 3 nights.) We purchased a charter vacation through Ryan Airlines using Funjet Vacations website, and the roundtrip nonstop flight from St Louis, MO to Cancun plus seven nights hotel stay AI at the Omni Cancun Hotel & Villas ran us just under $3000. I considered that a very good deal, being as how all our food and drinks were included.

We had beautiful weather the entire time we were there, just a few showers that lasted only minutes. The beach was perfect. The ocean is rough in that area, so we just barely got in to battle the waves instead of actually swimming.

The Omni Cancun Hotel & Villas is wonderful! There are three swimming pools, all very nice, but shallow. There is a wonderful huge hot tub where you can just lay back and watch the waves. They have what I'm told is the only beachfront jacuzzi bar in Cancun. You actually sit in a jacuzzi, at a bar, on the beach. It was usually crowded, so we didn't spend much time there. The restaurants at the Omni are very good. La Paloma is an indoor restaurant with a buffet or menu options to choose from. Da Vinci is by far our favorite, with the Italian food accompanied by the live piano music and excellent service.

We enjoyed numerous activities throughout the week. We went on the Maroma/Paradise Reef Snorkeling Tour. I got horribly seasick, so I didn't enjoy this as much as I had hoped, but I think my husband did. He had snorkeled once before in the Bahamas when he was 8 years old, and he said the Bahamas had much better snorkeling. I had never snorkeled before, so I was fascinated.

We went on the Senor Frogs Bar Leaping Tour. It started out fun, but we started wanting to leave about halfway through the night. We had heard so many good things about Sr Frogs, and we were both disappointed. My husband said that he thinks if we were 18 or under we would love it, anyone who's been to anything else before knows better. It stunk of beer, sewage, and vomit. I was actually feeling sick to my stomach by the time we finally left, just from the smell.

We went to tour the Chichen Itza. I had booked the tour online through Shore Trips, and we had only 8 total people in our tour, including the two of us. It was very pleasant with so few of us. We saw the huge busloads of people all over the place while we were there and couldn't believe the difference. The little bit of extra money was worth it in quality. We had a wonderful driver (quite the welcome change from the Cancun bus drivers that barrel down the street) and we had a very informative guide. We climbed the main building of the Chichen Itza. It is very steep. I climbed up and crawled down. It was hot as heck there, with no wind and the sun just beating down on us. It was educational and interesting, but by the end of the day I was ready to hit the beach. On our way back to Cancun, we stopped to swim in the Blue Cenote, which was very nice. It's 9 feet deep at the most shallow part, so be sure you can swim before jumping in. The future cliff divers of the world (the local children) were doing amazing flips from the sides into the cenote. All of the guests were amazed watching them. The temperature of the water is a "refreshing 68-70 degrees." Refreshing is the word to use instead of cold, because after as hot as everyone was, it felt wonderful to swim in such cool water.

We also went through the Interactive Aquarium at La Isla Shopping Center. It was nice and well done. We got to touch the stingrays, and I have always loved stingrays! We also pet a shark. Yeah, I know what everyone is thinking, how crazy can you be? The man working there was calling to all the senoritas (pardon my inability to properly spell words in Spanish) to pet the shark. Just a light touch was enough for me, thanks. I still have all my fingers for anyone who might be wondering! LOL!

I felt very safe the entire time I was gone. There were armed security around the shopping centers and at various points on the streets, just ensuring that everyone is safe. I felt much safer wondering around Cancun day or night than I do in some of the large cities in the US.

We both loved our vacation to Cancun, and I'm sure we'll be back again someday, staying at the Omni once again. It will be awhile though...there are so many other places we want to explore. Happy travels everyone!

Old Aug 18th, 2003, 03:32 AM

We'll also be traveling on Ryan Air for an upcoming charter to Cancun. What were your experiences with the airline?
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 04:57 AM

We traveled there using Ryan last year It was great!!!! After researching this airline I found out it belongs to an Ireland airline I think its Aer Lingus. Great service great everything!!!! Don't worry
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 08:38 AM

Thanks for the reply. What about seating...how cramped is it?
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

Ryan Airlines charter flight was very pleasant. The staff was very friendly and upbeat. They actually served food instead of just peanuts. The seating was just like every other airplane I've been on. Hope this helps!