Definitely going on the Titi trail!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28th, 2008, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't know if anyone else has seen this today, but I have a Google alert set for "Bosque del Cabo".

This just came through today:

http://blog.laparios.com/2008/10/ema...m-juan_27.html

It's actually from the Lapa Rios blog - but it's free advertisement for BdC. A nice account of puma sightings on the Titi trail. I feel bad for the howler monkey, but that's nature.
Old Oct 28th, 2008, 06:08 PM

Wow, that's amazing! It would definitely upset me to see the wounded howler monkey, but you are right; it is nature and the pumas need to eat too.

I would be sooo excited to see a puma at BdC!
Old Oct 28th, 2008, 07:49 PM

Well, then, make your reservations for June, cam. Hip, Tully, and I are going to take tuna melts onto the Titi Trail and literally camp out. Hip is going to hold the melts while Tully and I observe from a safe distance. . .hey--it was her idea! LOL! Seriously, we are DETERMINED to see a puma!
Old Oct 28th, 2008, 08:38 PM

Well, if anyone can see one, you girls can! That's an amazing story and wonderful pic too!

My husband and I were watching wildlife specials one day, and they had show about a snow hare running through the snow desperately trying to evade a big cat that was trying to devour it. We were rooting for the bunny to run, run, run and get away. Then the next show came on, and it was all about a big cat with a litter she was trying to feed, and they were starving. She happened upon a bunny, and then we were cheering for the cat so the litter of babies wouldn't starve. Those shows are so manipulative!

I hope everyone gets to see a puma - take good pics for us!!
Old Oct 29th, 2008, 03:55 AM

Good example of perspective, volcanogirl!

Have you recovered from what's his name?

Tully writes that she is now at Iguazu. . .her word was "WoW!"

That was after her first 2 words: "Holy ----" after a long e-mail had disappeared!
Old Oct 29th, 2008, 03:58 AM

By the way, I just looked at Juan's blog--pretty cool. The only thing I found curious was Phil laughing about his chances of seeing a puma on the Titi Trail. Doesn't sound like Phil! He knows pumas are sighted on the Titi Trail with some regularity; never saw him scoff at it. The guy is always smiling, though. . .and who wouldn't?!
Old Oct 29th, 2008, 09:18 AM

shillmac, yep, we're all recovered. Houston did a great job getting back on track. The debris pile made our grass look like crap, but that's about it. We're all back to normal. I will never take Fodor's or my computer for granted again! And I wouldn't be surprised to see Mayor White running for governor and beyond someday.
Old Oct 29th, 2008, 10:23 AM

Juan was so lucky to have left and came back and still have all that time so close to the Puma! Thanks for posting plumboy. ;-)

shillmac -- You're too funny. There's no way I'm going to let you all cower behind me. LOL! I think maybe keywords here are "must not say a word". Now THAT may pose a problem. ;-)
Old Oct 29th, 2008, 10:49 AM

hip, don't let them trick you into holding a monkey carcass!
Old Oct 29th, 2008, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

It is a great account - but of course it seems to be pretty rare. But who knows! It does happen from time to time. It would be SO amazing.

A related question - if anyone knows. Say you are lucky enough to have a sighting of a puma or pumas. What's the wise thing to do (ie, so that you don't meet the same fate as the howler monkey)? I assume they really don't want much to do with humans - and I assume they have plenty of monkeys to eat around there (sorry!). So, I doubt they'd come after a human.

Just wondering if it's better to make clapping noises or something (hey, it works on my cats when they're doing something they're not supposed to!).

I'm sure it's a moot point, but in that initial little orientation tour do they tell you some basic precautions to take so that you don't end up a meal?

(Obviously, in addition to being excited, I have some anxieties about being in the jungle with large, wild animals!)
Old Oct 29th, 2008, 12:25 PM

They told us we wouldn't see any because "They see you long before you see them, and they don't want anything to do with you." So if you DO see one, I would think it would be best just to stay still and look non-threatening? Or maybe point at the yummy monkeys in the distance?

Our guide on the night hike in Monteverde said that one night she had a little older lady tell her that she thought she saw a puma, and they were all laughing at her, but she was right. It sat up in a tree, and they all just watched it for 15 minutes before it ran off. She said she's been a guide for 5 years and had never seen one before or since.
Old Oct 29th, 2008, 03:38 PM

I think I would feel nervous if I ran into a puma by myself, but in a group of people, not too much. I bet the cat would be startled and run away if you made loud noises, plumboy. I wouldn't do that though unless you felt specifically threatened. Chances are you would just observe each other for a few minutes and then the puma would leave (because they don't particularly want to be bothered by us tourists!).

It also seems that the person actually holding the tuna melts would be most likely to be identified as an actual meal. Don't worry, Hip. We'll take along some of BdC's walking poles to fend off the kitty if he tries to get too frisky with you!
Old Oct 30th, 2008, 06:17 AM

Very cool. Yes, nature can be brutal. I would love to see any wildcat while at Bosque.

Only thing strange is that the photo in that blog has a 2005 date on it. Hmmm.

Does Bosque still have that infrared camera on one of those trails? I wonder how often they capture cats on it?
Old Oct 30th, 2008, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

Hmmm... you're right - I didn't catch that. I guess that blog is probably a public relations kind of thing...

But I still hope I see a big cat!
Old Oct 30th, 2008, 09:51 AM

janie, when we were at BdC, they had taken the cameras away. They said that the tracking experiment they were conducting was over.
Old Nov 1st, 2008, 05:17 PM

plum I was told if you saw a puma you were to walk <i>towards</i> it. If alone, I highly doubt I would do that, on next trip though with some fodorites I will volunteer shillmac to try it
Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 07:23 PM

Okay, no problem; not only will I walk toward him, I'll even ask him if &quot;he wants a piece of me&quot;! I know you girls will have my back.

Welcome back, Tully!