Search

Day trip advice needed for CR ...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2004, 08:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Day trip advice needed for CR ...

Hi,
I am planning a trip to CR in Nov.- 1st time visit. I will be staying 3 nights at Peace Lodge, 2 nights at Tabacon, and 3 nights at the Paradisus. Now I am wondering what kind of day trips and tours I can fit in. This is what I am considering so far:

While at Peace Lodge- Poas and Doka coffee plantation tour on website, Sarapiqui river safari- NOT the rapids.

Since we won't be in Arenal for long with travel times taken into account- I am considering the Hanging Bridges tour offered through the hotel. I really wanted to do the Cano Negro wildlife tour too but I don't think that I can fit it in.....

Paradisus- I think I will busy with the hotel's offerings- horseback riding, sunset cruise, monkey park tour, and possible a trip to Tamarindo for shopping.

Any help would be appreciated. Is there anything like the Cano Negro tour anywhere else that may fit in to my itinerary??? I really would like to fit this in. Can it be done from Peace Lodge???

One final question- Some tour guides that I have read don't recommend this tour- Anyoe know why???

Thanks for your help.
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 08:28 PM

Hi Wolfiesmom,
Haven't heard from you in awhile! Sounds like you've got it nailed down pretty good! I agree that it would be difficult to work the Cano Negro tour in. We haven't managed it yet either, but someday we will! I don't know why anyone would discourage it.
Your Peace Lodge plans are good. You'll enjoy both Poas and the Doka tour. The Sarapiqui area is excellent.
Save time while at Paradisus to enjoy the pool during the day! If you can devote a day to just laying around, get out early and claim a chair close to the pool bar--preferably right next to the restrooms. The band plays poolside sometime between noon and 2:00 and they are quite good. Have a great time!
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 08:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Shillmac!!!! I thought I was the only night owl- but I guess you stay up late too, although I guess it depends on where you live. Here it's close to 1 am and I have to be up for work in a few hours.-- Oh well It's Friday!!!!

Thanks for your feedback- I really want to do the Cano Negro Tour so I am considering doing it the first morning and then doing the hanging bridges early on the day of our departure since there is an 8 am trip. It will be alot but since it is my first visit- I guess I can fit it in.

I'll have to confer with the others and see what they want to do. I think the consensus will be to wait until we arrive and then plan.

I just realized that the Sarapiqui is a raft trip and not a boat one like Cano Negro- I don't think that my parents will be comfortable with that so not sure what I'll decide.

I am researching to see how I can work it out.- Thanks again

Anyone else have ideas?????
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 08:57 PM
Original Poster

Ok- I think that I am confused.... Is there a Sarapiqui river safari boat and a raft tour???? I am interested in something like Cano Negro (boat, not raft or kayak) but accessible to Peace Lodge. Is there anything like this???
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 04:14 AM

Wolfiesmom,
There is rafting on the Sarapiqui. There is also a gently jungle cruise float trip that lasts about an hour. Your parents would like this. You go to Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui to do this one.
Comparing Cano Negro to this float trip isn't possible (I may have misunderstood). Cano Negro is a great spot to see wildlife, including all of the migratory birds--a big draw for some people. The Sarap. jungle cruise is just a gentle float down river and back (about an hour) to see a little bit of wildlife, iguanas, some birds, caimans, etc.