Search

Darn those mosquitoes!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2006, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Darn those mosquitoes!

Going to CR in May. Itinerary includes La Fortuna canopy tour, hot springs, and the volcano of course then down to Jaco' for surfing, beach bumming, and nightlife.

I've read everything about Deet 30% to Deet 100%, Repel w/Lemon and Eucalyptus (which is what I'll probably use along with a little Deet), 3M's Ultrathon. Long-sleeved shirts and long pants near dawn and dusk, leaving the perfume at home, etc. But. . .do I need to get any preventative immunizations? I want to come back with good exotic memories, not bad exotic reminders.

We're getting closer to take off time, 38 days! Gonna get the family Easter celebration and last chick's high school graduation out of the way and then. . .CR here we come!
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 10:07 AM

We were in CR last month...In the Arenal area we did the zip lines and the suspension bridges, hot springs, national park and Cano Negro tour; went to MA and hung out on the beach in the National Park. I brought the bug spray with deet and never used it. Aong our family of 5, we came home with exactly 3 mosquito bites - I had one, my son had 2 and the other three in the family got none.
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 10:21 AM

I usually take 30% deet with me, but rarely end up using it. At least in my experience I never really had to contend with biting bugs, even in the Osa in shorts & tank-tops. Never got any shots for my previous trips, so don't know about that, other than a good percentage don't get them.
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 10:50 AM

Hi,

You don't need immunizations. I used 30% Deet, but unlike the others, I got attacked by mosquitos anyway. I had about 8 bites on my legs and arms from La Paz and Arenal.

My BF, on the other hand, didn't get bitten once, and he didn't use the Deet much.

No matter WHERE I go, mosquitos think I am rather tasty.
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 10:53 AM

Malaria meds aren't necessary -- it's not a problem over there and those meds don't protect you from any other mosquito-borne problems, so it's not worth the trouble. I've been bringing the same bottle of repellent to CR for years and I've barely used any of it. Bugs just aren't that bad there. Have fun!

Sandy
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 11:58 AM

kaudry, you're just sweeter than the rest of us!

Seriously, I was that way as a child. I'd be COVERED with bites and the rest of the family would have none.
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 12:01 PM

Up to date on Tetinus and Hep A is a good immunization choice.
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 01:00 PM

I know that others have posted here with the best of intentions, but it's no substitute for expert advice.

Go to the CDC site on Mexico and Central America for accurate information on health risks and preventive measures.

http://www.cdc.gov/travel/camerica.htm

For what it's worth, we recently returned from 2 weeks in CR. We did encounter some mosquitos in the Sarapiqui and Tortuguero areas, and none in the Arenal area. I can't speak about Jaco. Because of the malaria risk in the first two areas, we did take cholorquinine, and we did use repellent (30% DEET). Repellent and covering up is also the only defence against Dengue fever which is endemic to most of Central America.

You shouldn't be paranoid about tropical diseases, because a few simple preventative measures should keep you healthy.
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 03:43 PM

I guess my issue with the CDC is the incredibly broad range it gives, and therefore doctors dispense meds according to. For example, the CDC lists Alajuela province as a risk area. Now, from what I've read, the risk area is in that province, but in the area where it meets Nicaragua. So it's like naming Florida a risk area when the risk is really only in Miami. If I were to be spending a lot of time along the CR/Nic border or in certain areas on the East coast, I might consider it, but otherwise not.
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 04:59 PM

The first time I went to Costa Rica I asked the travel agent about malaria, telling her that the CDC said it was a risk. She said "We don't have malaria, and when I read the CDC report on America, I'm afraid to go there too!" She's right! We have all kinds of creepy things to worry about -- hantavirus, lyme disease, west nile, etc. Check it out: http://www.cdc.gov/travel/namerica.htm

Sandy
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 07:44 PM

Silly me. I should have gotten medical advice from my travel agent instead of from my local travel clinic.

Look, it's not a case of being afraid to travel or being paranoid about picking up some disease, but simply being aware of the risks and precautions, and I think that a travel clinic is best able to provide that information. My travel agent is a good one, from whom I expect to get the mandatory requirements for inoculations, but not health risk assessment.

In Costa Rica, we did stay for a number of days in areas where malaria is endemic (i.e. the northeast lowlands and Caribbean coast near the Nicaraguan border). Based on the advice of the travel clinic, we used repellent and covered up when mosquitos were about, and took anti-malaria medication. None of these measures interfered in the slightest way with our enjoyment of the trip, and I'd rather be safe than have the odd chance of coming down with something serious.

Old Apr 12th, 2006, 08:40 AM

Chill -- there is no need to defend your choice. You did what you thought was best and you were covered. Nobody is arguing with you. Of course I called my doctor too, who told me I didn't need them for CR. Many people here are very frequent travelers in the area and have friends who live there and we are making our choices based on that experience. It's up to each person to decide what they feel comfortable with.

Sandy
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 11:26 AM

Right--I'll stick to gin and tonic the next time (strictly for the quinine).
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies. I'll check with my doc, our local health dept was no help. The majority of you folks just go and use common sense precautions.

Thanks for reminding me about the tetanus and hep A.

My favorite recommendation was the gin and tonic.

This plan is getting better and better.
Old Apr 13th, 2006, 03:16 PM

Hi, being a nurse I also reccommend checking with the CDC before travelling. As malaria epidemics do move around. Having nursed patients with malaria I would always err on the side of caution. Malaria is one of top causes of death world wide. Also there isn't enough Quinine in todays tonic water to protect you. Many people also believe that you can't get Malaria if you in cities but only in the jungle. This is not true When I was in CR, San Jose had malaria but the rain forest didn't. It only takes one bite to transmit Malaria
Old Apr 13th, 2006, 08:01 PM

Although I haven't been to CR, I'd take chloroquine if the CDC site recommended it. Here's a link to the Sawyer's Time Release Deet that worked great for us (similar to Ultrathon):

http://www.sawyerproducts.com/sawyer...lent/index.htm

Remember that malaria can be a life-long plague; I watched my beloved Uncle Chuck who contracted it in WWII suffer from periodic revisits of it until he died 2 years ago - not something I'd wish on anyone.
Old May 14th, 2006, 09:56 AM

Anyone with experience in Nicaragua re: those darn mosquitos? Specifically, San Juan del Sur and Granada? .Many, Many Thanks.