danger for tourists in mexico?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2006, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

been reading about unrest in mexico city acapulco and oaxaca...how bad is it?

we love going to mexico but we are beginning to
worry!
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 09:44 AM

Parts of Mexico City - like the "Centro Historico" district - have been "iffy" for some time now, with high rates of crime (particularly after dark), but, generally, I think the plusses of visiting the city outweigh the minuses. Specal care needs to be taken though, when visiting.

Oaxaca is not a friendly place for tourists, at the moment - and I suggest people stay away for the next few months to see if things settle down. Of course, people with a strong attraction to Oaxaca - prior visitors - aren't likey to be deterred. But, for the first-time visitor, I can't imagine a scenario that will be pleasant.

Zihuatanejo's actually seeing more violence than Acapulco - and it's smaller so the impace is probably greater, but there has been some drug-related violence in Acapulco that has, for the most part, not involved foreign tourists. I've been visiting ACA for more than 20-years and still recommend it to many travelers.

There is a new sense of uncertainty in some few places right now, the outgrowth of the post-election protesting. I suspect that will be resolved by mid-September and that things will die down considerably.
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 02:20 PM

It's too bad about the demonstrations in Mexico city right now due to the Election business. In reading the paper I found that businesses are losing a lot of tourist money because people can't conveniently get around. Mexico City is such a wonderful vacation spot, but not before the election results are finalized and things settle down. Try Puerto Vallarta. But a word of caution, Don't use your debit/credit card unless really necessary. This is not a myth. My friends just got back July 11th and charges are showing up as of August 2nd in PV. My bank says someone will write down the number and that's all they need. My friend used her card in only 3 places. The trouble with the debit card is that most of them now double as a credit card and nobody asks for ID. The suspicion is the number was written down, then taken to Guadalajara and a card made. Don't stay home, just be careful.
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 03:00 PM

Other than the hoards of "Texans", all is fine here.
I would not go to Oaxaca nor La Ciudad.
In fact we just cancelled reservations in Mexico (City).
M (SMdA, Gto.)
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 03:10 PM

Here's what I said earlier on this site. I don't things have changed much-As far as the teachers strike in OAX, I was there the 6th-13th of this month. That was a while back, but my contacts there advise me things have not changed. We had no trouble at all, but there was lots of disruption. 100's of strikers in the Zocalo who had taken over a several block area. There was significant damage, but with a little creativity we were able to enjoy oursleves as always. As I have mentioned here before, unless the strikers leave voluntarily, it is my feeling the day will come when force will be used to try and move them. If that happened, I would expect violence and would not want to be in the area.
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 03:41 PM

Don't know where gomexico got their "facts: but to make a blanket statement that there is more violence in Zhua than in Acapulco is not remotely true. I spend on the average of 2 months each year in Zihua & in over 10 years not only have I NEVER felt I was in danger I have personally NEVER seem a act of Violence. Almost all violence in the area happens in the wee hours of the day (like 3:00 AM) & involves drug dealings much as they do in the US. Please get your facts straight Por Favor!
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 05:26 PM

cnn has a big article about the dangers in Mexico hurting tourism on their website now.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TRAVEL/08/04....ap/index.html
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 07:03 PM

We're not nervous nellies but are wondering the same thing. This will be our first real trip to Mexico, - a long weekend coming in a few weeks. I think we've all but decided to not go into Mexico City when we arrive. It's not so much about safety (well, some), but the hassle issue with Mexico City. Been hearing about blockages of main roads, long traffic jams. Too much to think about for what was supposed to be a relaxing weekend away.

We're thinking seriously now - all but decided - about grabbing a bus to Puebla straight from the airport. What we don't know if any of the outbound roads have any issues (I'd heard of it happening here and there) and is it pretty quiet in Puebla currently?

Old Aug 6th, 2006, 07:37 PM

My comments regarding the violence in Zihuatanejo compared to Acapulco are based on fact, well-published and documented fact - something locals and frequent visitors are aware of. I'm not suggesting staying away from Zihua, but the level of violence, murders, shootings, etc., exceed in number what Acapulco has seen during the same time frame.
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 09:00 PM

Gomexico you again claim knowledge of facts not in evidence. What published accounts are you quoting? You have not presented one piece of evidence. Please stop this nonsense! It has no bases in Reality! As a long time visitor who spends most of the winter in Zihua I KNOW your statements to be untrue!
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 11:16 AM

Based on my few google searches, it seems AMLO's protests are mainly confined to La Ciudad. The recent/current decision to recount only about 9% of ballots has made him and his followers most unhappy and they seem determined to shut down commercial traffic and commerce there.
I have not found anything about Zihua.
M (SMdA, Gto.)
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 04:03 PM

Mikemo, Acapulco is a huge city of over 1,500,000 people including a large squatter slum where crime of all kinds is rampant. Zihuatanrjo is a small city of less than 70,000 that while has had a increase in crime it's crime is minuscule compared to Acapulco. I have never felt in danger in Zihua simply by following a few common sense rules that I follow in all cities. In fact much of the crime in Zihua is from criminals from Acapulco bring their drug disputes North. Gomexico's assertions have No Bases in Fact!
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 03:56 AM

Stew...Think you've made yourself clear.
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 02:59 PM

Mexico City is huge, some areas like Reforma and Zocalo are full of protesters, still there is too much to see in other areas.
Trafic is disrupted, but you can move easily using the Metro. Avoid getting close to the protesters if possible and do not take anything from them ...and the most important part: DO NOT FEED THEM.
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 07:41 AM

Perhaps a country's protests are sound and just and need to be staged. I honestly don't know in this case, but it's disconcerting to see so many responses concerned only with the inconvenience this causes North Amercian tourists
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 01:00 PM

sb,
Claro que si!
M
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 04:22 PM

Debinko, not sure who that was directed to but since I'm one of the tourists that asked a question here, I'll respond.

Whether the cause is just or not, are you saying that you'd like "North American" tourists to be doing something about it? I kind of liked the idea of seeing a little history in the making (although I wouldn't really be seeing both sides of the issue, would I?). But with just a weekend, and a sense that wading in without purpose is a pretty superficial idea, a little practicality seems in order.

In our case, we had a choice - muck around seeing secondary sights for the weekend but not really getting to see the much of the Mexico City we hoped to see; or make a change and see a nearby town saving Mexico City for another time; or just cancel all together.

There's a lot of the world yet to see. I don't know if or when I'll go back to Mexico. Hate to come away with a vague sense of disappointment and just go elsewhere from now on. I'm not against seeing all sorts of aspects of travel. One of the most memorable things I ever did was spend some time this past January, stopping off to help out a little at an Aids hospice for kids in rural Cambodia. But, I don't try to insert myself into the politics of other countries. It's arrogant and it doesn't make sense to do it. And what would we be proving, and to who, to wade into a protest on an issue where our opinion doesn't and shouldn't matter? I trust that the Mexican people are perfectly capable of sorting this out.

(ps, much of the world learns that Mexico is in North America too, making us all North Americans. The South American continent starts at the Columbia/Panama border, but that's sort of off subject)

Old Aug 11th, 2006, 08:57 AM

Clifton>

Puebla is a good option, no traffic or toll pass problems. The city is quite calm, with no Post-election demonstrations.

It's Chile de Nogada time, and the weather is rainy but great.
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 02:45 PM

We have been monitoring the violence reports in Ixtapa/Zih and have decided to vacation elsewhere. It just isn't worth it. Zih is small and any violence is worth noting as a visitor.
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 07:21 PM

sol_veracruzano, thanks for the reply on Puebla. That's very helpful. We're looking forward to the visit - it looks like a beautiful city, and a surprise, because I'd never read very much about it before this. I've read about many other cities, like Oaxaca and Guanajuato, but not as much about Puebla.

I don't mind a little bit of rain at all. In case you read back: Will it still be Chile de Nogada time in a few weeks? I was hoping it would be still. Do you know a good place to go?

Again, thanks for your help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -