Cuernavaca and Instituto Chac-Mool

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 2003, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our family is registered for a two week Spanish language course at Instituto Chac-Mool in July. Does anyone have experience with this school? Would any of the Cuernavaca experts here share some info. about favorite restaurants or other activities? Any advise about transportation and safety in and around Cuernavaca would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

anyone?
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 04:10 PM

Topping.... anyone have any feedback regarding Instituto Chac-Mool?
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 05:42 PM

Looks like original post didn't get any answers. I have been to the Spanish Language Institute of Cuernavaca. Great school, great city. If you still need info, then reply here and I will try to answer your questions.
Old Mar 18th, 2004, 04:56 PM
annieladd

Be sure and have a meal at Las Mananitas, a lovely inn in Cuernavaca. Just beautiful surroundings with peacocks and lovely plantings. Welcome to the Land of Eternal Spring.

Old Mar 28th, 2004, 01:03 PM

I've been to SLI school twice. Most all of the schools are good from what I heard while there. You can't go wrong. If you have an open mind, Cuernavaca is great. The people are nice, it's safe, etc. The key with most of Mexico is to not draw attention to yourself in terms of money, jewelry, etc. You're going to stick out because your American, but other than that, just go about your business. As for places to see, check out the market downtown by the bus station - it's the daily bus station, not the big bus station that takes you to Mex. City, etc. Lots of flowers, fruit, and more stuff for sale than Amazon.com. Ask your host family or hotel folks what to go see. There's a town about 30 minutes away that has a pyramid - can't think of the name now but everyone knows it. The zocalo has a few good places to eat. Cafe Hidalgo is good but the best place has already been mentioned - Las Mananitas. Really great atmosphere, the food is good but not 5 star quality. You gotta go to this place though, trust me, you won't be disappointed. Go for a drink at the very least. It's a hotel but also a restaurant. The city is neat. Very busy, like Mexico City but much, much smaller. Local artists paint quite a bit and some of the stores have their original artwork for fairly cheap. Also, try to go to Taxco if you can - it's a neat little city. It's about 2 hours away by bus. You can also rent a cab, which is less hassle but much more expensive. Taxco is known for it's silver, but we found it expensive, even for Mexico. Go to Mexico City for a one day trip on the weekend. It's an easy trip. Take a cab to the bus station, get a ticket there (buses leave every 30 minutes for Mexico City so it won't be a problem), there are two bus stations in Mex. City so make sure you get the one that's not going to the airport, after you get there - take the train to the Zocalo stop (the bus station is right next to the bus station), it's about a 10 minute train ride into the city. Go above ground and you're there! Do the reverse for the ride home. One piece of advice, when you get to the Mex. City bus station, get your ticket back right then before going into the city. That way you can plan on a time to come back. Also check the times for all the buses leaving for Cuernavaca - that way you'll know when the last bus leaves in case you miss your bus (i.e. leave yourself one final time to get home in case you find something interesting in Mex. City that causes you to be delayed). Email me at [email protected] if you want any other info. I went twice last year and I'm going again in May so I'm glad to share experiences...