Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Crossing The Border At Tijuana With A US Passport and Mexican Permanent Resident Card

Search

Crossing The Border At Tijuana With A US Passport and Mexican Permanent Resident Card

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2024, 06:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The question has come up that if you hold a Mexican Permanent Resident card but are a US citizen with US passport, what do you need to show when you walk across the border in Tijuana and fly to another destination in Mexico from the airport there? Do you show them both? And do you need a visa anymore? Thank you
Old Apr 2nd, 2024, 09:08 PM

Your permanent resident card is your 'visa'. I suspect you're confusing the FMM (tourist card) with a visa. When you walk across in TJ, Mexico immigration will rarely, if ever, ask for any documentation, as it's incumbent on the visitor to know what to do. But, if they do, by no means complete an FMM as that can invalidate your permanent resident status. Just walk on by, get a taxi to the airport. Your airline, probably Volaris, will ask for ID. I can't remember if they want one or 2 pieces of ID. It's a domestic flight. In either case, your passport and/or residency card will suffice. Technically, legal residents of Mexico are supposed to complete an FMM when they exit the country, and surrender it when they return. For statistical purposes. The opposite of tourists. But I've never bothered.
Old Apr 3rd, 2024, 04:43 AM
Original Poster

Thank you! Great info! And yes, I know not to fill out an FMM. I just traveled out of Mexico at a major airport and I was surprised that I didn’t have to fill out exit paperwork anymore. Just headed straight to check in. I think you gave me all the info I need.