CR Trip Report - Rafiki Safari

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18th, 2006, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is part two for our CR Trip Report. The last I wrote we were in Manuel Antonio, staying at Tulemaar Bungalows and reserved our deep sea fishing trip. Since we werer looking for boats at the last minute, they must have scramble to find us a boat at all costs because when we arrived at 7 am and they called our name...the boat that I had envisioned was not to be. We got one of the small boats with no chair, the bench in the front of the boat would also serve as the toilet (hidden under the bench)..The ride out was a bit rough but once we got 35 miles out there, the ocean was calm. We caught 4 Sailfish, which made for great pictures. We did not catch fish that we could keep like Dorado, Mahi Mahi. It was an adventure, one that I could have skipped but if you love catching the big ones...then by all means. Just make sure you confirm what kind of boat you are getting for your money. Its expensive!

The next day I took our two kids, ages 12 and 17 for a guided tour in the park. The tour was informative, and it was worth taking for the kids sake. The guides use a telescope which you can take close up pictures with a digital camera. Also..it costs less if you hire a guide once you get to the park $20 per person in addition to admission. Be aware...hordes of tourist that are not paying for the guide, try to hone in on your tour. The guides are gracious about it but I thought it was intrusive.

That afternoon we had a cab pick us up and take us to Rafiki Safari. This was the best part of our trip. It is probably an hour and half drive from Quepos, the roads arent the best and the drive is slow. Its probably only really 40 miles from Quepos. Its this beautiful spot set in a plateau in the hillside. It feels very, very remote. The resort was built by a family from South Africa. There is one main lodge which all the meals are served, a bar, hammocks, rocking chairs. This is where all the guests hang out when not doing rafting or horseback riding. Our kids decided to do the horseback riding, rafting trip..my husband and I met them for the rafting part. The rafting was proabably class 2 or 3 at the time. Some excitement but also calm enough at times to enjoy the beauy of the country side and it was beautiful. The also stopped midway on the rafting trip to hike to a waterfall, swimming spot. When not rafting we hung out in the main lodge, met the other guests, played cards, etc. It was really an opportunity to meet other travelers from around the world. They have a fast water slide, small pool and a frisbee golf course. We stayed in platform tents that had a deck and a beautiful modern bathrooms built on the back of the tent. The tents had electricity, comfortable beds.
We stayed two mights, taxi took us back to MA where we met our driver.

We had the same driver for the entire trip. OUr driver, Royner, than attempted to drive us back to San Jose..that is until the van broke down. No worries....they called another driver and an hour or so later we were on our way..back to San Jose to Orquideas Inn. Had our last Costa Rican meal, with Imperials.

Early Saturday morning...we were driven to the Airport, paid our departure tax and headed back to the states.

This was two weeks ago today...now I am sitting in WI, with over a foot of snow, and its 20 below. Somethings wrong with this picture.

If you have any questions my email is [email protected]

Andrea
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 06:49 AM

Yes, something is definitely wrong with that picture! No Imperials for one thing! Or did you bring a few back? Something's wrong with my picture too, if it makes you feel any better--I can't hear howler monkeys and surf from where I'm sitting!

Enjoyed your report--just curious. . .did you have to use that quaint little toilet on your fishing trip???
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

Yes we did. It was a great view!!! Since there was noone around for miles and miles, we did have our privacy.
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 09:47 AM

That's hilarious! So glad you had a great time! I suppose everyone has a good toilet story or two. . .
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 09:50 AM

Great to read about Rafiki! I have been anxiously awaiting your review. Sounds like a great place to spend a few days.

Something wrong here too! Second weekend in a row with snow and ice on the ground. Day before yesterday it was 72 degrees and I had all the windows open. Tonight going into the teens. So here in western TN - I am freezing! BTW forced to visit Wisconsin several times in Feb on business, sorry but it is just way too cold up there! Keep Warm!