Search

Cozumel vs. Tulum Coast

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 1997, 12:49 PM
Jon Annett

Cozumel vs. Tulum Coast

My wife and I are planning a trip to Cozumel and the
coastal area. Our choices have narrowed down to the
Melia Maya Paradisus in Cozumel and the Robinson Club Tulum. Which area should we stay in, and which
should we make day trips to? Any information would
be appreciated.

Thanks.

Old Jun 18th, 1997, 12:40 PM
F. Carlos Amezcua

I have stayed at the Melia Can Cun hotel which is one of the top 3 in the city, so you can expect better from them. But if you stay at Cozumel you are in an island where you can find the best snorkeling (according to me!!) but you will need a ferry to go to the mainland.
Except for the ferry issue Cozumel is beatiful, nevertheless the Tulum coast (and the castle) are also very nice, but about 45 minutes away from the city of Cancun.

Old Jun 22nd, 1997, 09:33 AM
Laura Monroe

The Robinson Club in Akumal looks very nice, but I heard from the locals when I was there in March that they only let German Nationals stay there. They won't let you do a tour there unless you are German. I would stay south of Tulum anyway. The Akumal area is so built up that the poor turtles won't even go there anymore.

Old Jul 3rd, 1997, 11:41 AM
Alyce

Akumal is a bit remote. It depends on what you want to do.
I have travelled to Cozumel many times and for diving etc. it is WONDERFUL!
But if you want to see some of the ruins you have to go by ferry. No big deal really, and you could even plan to tack on a couple of days and go to Coba as well as tulum

Old Aug 21st, 1997, 12:08 PM
Maureen

We have stayed at Robinson two times-96 and 95. The food is unbelievable and the beach is the beast i've seen anywhere. There are a lot of Germans, but more Americans are going each year. The staff is really nice, the rooms are good, but the best is the location. You are pretty isolated, but there is snorkeling right out side your door, and you can walk a long time in either direction on the beach and find the most incredible sights. Wear water sandals not water shoes to explore because there are lots of rocks. We found a natural pool about 30 minute walk south and never saw another person. Found sea sponges washed up on the beach-it was great. We would go back this year, but are taking our three teens, and the topless beach and isolation dont't seem appropriate with them. Good luck