Cozumel Resorts??

Old Jan 2nd, 1999, 04:42 PM
Dick Hambridge

Cozumel Resorts??

My wife, myself and our 13 yr.old daughter are planning our first trip to Cozumel in April. Despite much research, we are having a hard time deciding on a resort. We are also undecided about going "all-inclusive" or not. We were leaning towards the Paradisus but have recently read some unsavory reviews.We also heard that the Allegro Diamond Resort tends to overbook(or at least pack in reservations)but it reviews well.How is it? How is the Fiesta Americana Cozumel Reef ? How is the Reef Club/Isla Cozumel Beach Resort? The Presidente Inter-Continental Cozumel is a little too $$ for us but is obviously tops. We would also like a resort that offers good snorkeling nearby.If you can take the time to respond we would appreciate your recommendations !!!

Old Jan 2nd, 1999, 06:04 PM
Bart

Dick, The Fiesta Inn is very reasonable and has nice accomadations. The pool is the largest on the island and is never crowded. They have a small beach accross teh street and steps down to the water. Most of Cozumel is limestone and beaches are primarily manmade.
I strongly suggest that you do NOT do the all inclusive in COZ. The restaurants in San Miguel are outstanding and cheap. You will be able to go to teh best restaurants in town fro $50 for the 3 of you. The people are very friendly and it's a fun place. Another suggestion is Plaza las Glorias.
Bart

Old Jan 6th, 1999, 09:36 AM
Deborah

Dick-
Check out a previous post--in the previous 50 messages "Cozumel vs Playa del Carmen--all inclusive or not"--there were 10 posts on exactly this topic and some very good info.

Based on much research and advice, we've chosen to not do all inclusive--staying at the presidente for 9 days and leaving tomorrow!!

Old Jan 6th, 1999, 08:35 PM
TiAna

Dick...My husband and I, with 2 kids (9 & 11) went to Cozumel at the end of November. After much research (Fodors Guide and this forum) we decided to stay at El Presidente Inter-Continental. It was a wonderful family hotel! The snorkeling right there is the best on the island. We rented a car and ate dinners in town...cheap and delicious. Most people took taxis. We felt very safe and comfortable there! Feel free to e-mail me if you have more ?'s TiAna

Old Jan 8th, 1999, 09:03 PM
Terri

Dick, my family and I went to Coz last June for the first time and we stayed at the Paradisus resort. This is a very nice hotel and clean. The staff there is wonderful and they are very kid-oriented. However, the all day kids program was not very consistent. But there was plenty for them to do. Ours played water vollley ball, bingo and learned how to snorkel from the staff in the kids pool. They have a huge kids pool and a really nice adults pool with a swim up bar. This is an all inclusive resort and the food was good. My stomach did not take it too well but my husband thought it was great. The kids like the snack bar--burgers, nachos, etc. The nightly entertainment was great and they really like to get the kids involved. My 2 girls loved the shows at night.
As far as the beach goes, this resort is at the north end of the island and we were told that the south end is better. We walked down southwards to the neighboring resort--El Cozumeleno and snorkled there. Saw lots of pretty fish!! If we decide not to do the Playa del Carmen thing this June I would like to stay at the Reef Club Cozumel, I heat this one is great!! Lots of luck!!