Reload this Page >

COZUMEL - 8 Hours - What to do?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 02:33 AM
wendy norman

Will be cozumel for 8 hours from a cruise. Is it worth going to Chankanaab? Any suggestins would be appreciated. Any other beaches better? How much/how far is chankannab in cab - or are there buses?

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 08:04 AM
kbs

Go to this site and read all the great tips for things to do on Cozumel. Personally I would not go on any of the cruise excursions; it's fairly easy to do your own thing. <BR><BR>http://www.cozumel.travelnotes.cc/cgi-local/index.cgi

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 02:03 PM
Karen

Hi: just back from a cruise that stopped in Cozumel. this was our second time for a cruise stop there. If you have a full day rent a car and go around the island and stop at any beach you like. If you have a short day like our last one 8-4 then Chanakaab is a good choice or Playa Sol or Playa San Francisco. With time to walk around the town and do some shoppping. We paid 10.00Us for 5 of us to go to Chanakanaab and it costs 10.00 each to get in, 5.00 for snorkling equipment. If you rent a car to tour then you can go snorkling a Playa Dzul and rent equipment there. Chanakanaab has dolphin shows ect but they cost extra and the botanical gardens ect are just OK. On our cruise our kids favourite day was the one in Cozumel. If you are also going to Grand Cayman check out Captain Marvins snorkling we went to three stops including Stingray city for the same price as just the stingray excursion from the ship. Have a great trip. Karen

Old Jan 29th, 2002, 08:34 AM
wendy norman

Karen: thanks for info - did you go on the sundream Latin Love Affair cruise - if so can you email me so I can ask more questions. Thanks.

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 06:35 AM
Robert

I agree with the advice not to take any excursion sold by the ship. You will get better prices and exactly what you want from one of the licensed guides in Suburbans who meet the ships. I recommend a lunch at Chen Rio on the east side of the island--beautiful beaches and surf and away from the cruise ship throngs. (if you do look for a guide, see if Miguel Sauri in No.4 is available. He is a wonderful guide and a personal friend--tell him Mr. Robert sent you!)

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 07:32 AM
Brenda

If you like dolphins the dolphin swim at Chankanaab is really great!! it is expensive at $100 per person..but a once in a lifetime experience. They video tape it and of course you can buy it at the end...you get to do tricks just like you see at Seaworld and then have free swim..if you are on a budget snorkeling there (in Chankanaab)is great too..and you can watch the people doing the dolphin experience from the dock..we had quite an audience..I really like Cozumel as opposed to Cancun..It costs us $8 bucks each way for the cab to the park(there were 6 of us)..then it costs $8 bucks a car load to get in the park...and we booked the dolphin experience on our own because at that time the cruise line didn't provide this tour..my shore excursion shows the dolphin experience for $99 which would be cheaper in the long run...but book it early if you're interested. There are two docks one right in town and one just outside of town...if you dock on the one outside of town there was a beach right there that you can snorkel at with no charge and a little bar where they serve yard long margaritas...oh baby what a deal..and save your budget for another island..I always take some bagels off the ship to feed the fish.....(these last in the water)..I just take some zip lock bags and get slip them in my bag at the morning buffet....if you dock at the other one right in town you'll have to get a taxi..<BR><BR>have a great time!!! Our family is going back in March also...

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 03:59 PM
Geo

If you're a little bit adventurous you can do what my wife and I did. We took an All Terrain Vehicle jungle tour last year. We loved it!!!!!!! They take you through the jungle next to beautiful desolated beaches and even let you stop for a quick dip. For the most part the trails were a lot smoother than I expected. You can ask any person selling tours near the docks. They will provide transportation to the other side of the island.