Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Costa Rica w/4 children -- is it doable?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27th, 2006, 09:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this truly do-able with 4 children?? We would like to travel to Costa Rica this spring break (2007) or early summer. Our children are ages 3-13.

My concerns are:

1. price
2. safety w/children
3. obtaining accomodations for 6 people
4. obtaining 4X4 for 6 people.

Any suggestions?

I've looked quickly at renting houses. Sounds economical. But the all-inclusive resorts are an idea as well. I like the idea of using our accomodations as a "home base" from which to make excursions elsewhere. It's too hard to pack up and move luggage from place to place with 4 kids. Any suggestions? We'd like mild adventure...

About how expensive is it to do this vacation for about 7 days? I'm trying to swing this in lieu of going on a family carribean cruise...I can't find any deals on air fare, lodging, etc.. About how much did you pay to fly there? Also, do they have 4X4's to rent that will fit 6 people? How expensive do they run. Is it about the same as the US? I just have no idea how much a trip like this cost in relationship to say a 7-day Carribean cruise. We're not international travelers yet.
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 07:00 AM

Well, it certainly isn't as "cheap" as it used to be! Still less than, say, travel to Hawaii or the Caribbean.

I would agree that you'd be better off with staying in one place for a week. Here are a couple of options:

1. Fly into Liberia (not sure where you are coming from, but will probably cost at least $500 for adults), rent a vehicle, and drive to Playa Hermosa or Playa Ocotal--or to one of the all-inclusives on the Papagayo Peninsula, such as Fiesta or Allegro Papagayo. Do day trips into the Rincon de la Vieja area, visit Monkey Park near Huacas (rehab center where you can hold baby monkeys), Palo Verde tour, visit some nearby beaches. You probably won't need a vehicle if you choose the AI option. But the day tours are a bit expensive for a family. Been there, done that. Loved it, but 2 separate day trips for 5 of us cost $1000 6 years ago.

2. Fly into SJO (main airport near the capital--usually costs less). Stay a couple of days in the area around the airport (lots to do and see within an hour or two--Poas Volcano, La Paz Waterfall Gardens with hummingbirds and butterflies, Zoo Ave which means literally "bird zoo"--a great place very close to the airport). Then spend a few days down at Manuel Antonio (3 hour drive), where your kids will have the op to see lots of wildlife. There are many places to stay down there (and around the airport) that can accomodate all of you! Lots of activities available there for all of you to enjoy. You can always go there first, then wrap up your trip with a couple of days in the center, depending on your arrival/departure times.

Costa Rica is a great place for people of all ages. We've taken our granddaughter there since she was a baby, but then we haven't had to manage 4! I'm assuming you're young and used to it!

As for rentals, we use Tricolor. www.tricolorcarrental.com

You can get a Gran Vitara that will seat 6, but then luggage storage is a bit of a problem. DO pack as lightly as possible! You won't need as much as you might think! When we were trying to manage with 6 people last July, we rented a Suzuki APV (I think those were the initials)--kind of a minivan and quite a bit roomier. There was lots of room in the floorboard in front of the middle bench for bags. Tricolor consistently has excellent prices and service--we've not been able to find anything better. Have also used Dollar (long ago) and they were good as well--just a tad more expensive. Good luck--it is certainly do-able. I think you'll have great fun! And there are plenty of places that can sleep all of you. I feel as safe there as I do here in the U.S.
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 09:27 AM

i agree with shillimac, Ocotal or Hermosa are good bases, though there has been a real upsurge in crime in Hermosa recently, better off staying at one of the all inclusive resorts i think:

http://costa.rica.typepad.com/playa_...ome/index.html
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 10:51 AM

Personally, if I had 4 kids-and I do when the grandkids show up (ages 1 1/2-10), I think I would go for an AI like Conchal but plan some day trips with a tour company that has a van that can seat you all comfortably. You don't want to hide out there and miss the whole country but knowing that there are safe things for the kids to do is nice too. Vargas Papagayo tours is good. These would be private trips for your family, can be customized to your needs, and adjusted on the fly. With a 3 yr old you may need that option ;-). You can also pack a bag with drinks etc and not have to worry about hauling it around. You can leave it in the van except for what you will need while doing the actual touring. Leaving things in a rental car is not a good idea even if it isn't valuable. I know what it takes to get my 4 just to the zoo 45 mins away so I can almost imagine what a job it would be to go on a trip with them with all the luggage needed.

A couple of days at Los Lagos near Arenal might be a good idea as well for a whole different look at the country. They are geared towards children.

Don't know what a cruise would cost for all of you to compare costs. I personally don't like the idea of cruises because you are spending money on nothing for the most part. You don't see much of the few stops you make. My whole reason to travel is to see, do, and learn. I can vacation anywhere if I just want to sit and do nothing.

You could possibly fly in to one airport and fly out of the other to save some driving. Using a private driver between destinations could save money as well if you decide to take a day or two off from touring and traveling around.
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 11:55 AM

I arrived home late the 26th. We were there with our kids ages 8 and 10, their first trip was at 6 and 8 yrs. We are obviously comfortable and at ease taking our children there and find it a wonderful destination with children. We actually met up with a couple from California there with their kids ages 4, 7, 10 and 12. They did Manuel Antonio, Playa Nosara and Punta Uva, using Sansa to gety from place to place. There are more economical ways to do it though. Follow above suggestions, 7 days is not a great deal of time so perhaps staying put in one spot then doing day trips might be your best bet.
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

We'd be flying out of Atlanta to Costa Rica. Haven't found any deals at all. (Our options for vacation are a cruise or possibly a trip to Costa Rica. Carribean cruises in our price range are around $650 per person w/a few small discounts for kids. I don't want to go on a cruise... but just letting you know that we are trying to stay as close to that price as possible for the trip to Costa Rica.) Thanks so much for the suggestions.

Could we drive ourselves into the Rincon de la Vieja area, etc... to avoid pricy excursion fees? I like the idea of going on day tours... however, my 3 year old might not not do well in a vehicle where we were at the mercy of a tour bus/van ALL day(with other families) unless it was a guide just for our own family. We'd also like to stop along the way if we saw something interesting.

If you still think a personal tour guide is the way to go, how do you go about finding one?

I'm sorry, what is the "Al" option you are referring to? Does that mean Allegro Papagayo?

I think we could pack up a couple of times (and change home bases) if that would mean we get to see more. Come to think of it, we did this when we visited the Grand Canyon last spring. It's not so bad if you travel light.

If we get a Gran Vitara van, will that be okay with the potholes , etc... in the roads?

I don't mind packing lightly if I can wash clothes at least once during our stay. Then we could fly into one airport and out of another. But I wonder if that would be more expensive. With 4 kids, cost is always a consideration.

I'm beginning to see that cruises aren't that good for the money unless you just want to sit and relax the whole time and not see much... Time to convince hubby.

Thanks for the tips on the crime in Hermosa!

Old Dec 28th, 2006, 12:51 PM

I wasn't suggesting a "tour" with other families. If you re read what I wrote I think you will see that it might actually save you money unless you rent a car just by the day and use it for just a few days rather than the whole week.

You could contact Vargas Papagayo tours and get a quote for 2 or 3 private day tours.

The resort I was talking about is the Paradisus Playa Conchal. It is all inclusive.
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 01:54 PM

Paradisus Playa Conchal is nice, but very expensive. More than $500 per day for your family--possibly way more. A regular room, although very nice, would not accomodate 6 people. I think there are suites, but then the price will probably double. The AI's (all inclusives) up on the Golfo de Papagayo will cost less. We've been to Allegro and had a great time there. Fiesta gets excellent reviews as well. There are also a couple of others. Closer to the Rincon area by at least an hour, making the travel easier for your kids, should you wish to spend time in that area. It won't be as pretty in Guanacaste in March as it is during the rainy season--but the wildlife viewing might be better.

I'm thinking your best bet might be a villa that you could rent for the week. You can do that on the northern Pacific, Ocotal, for example, near Hermosa--or at Manuel Antonio.

If you went by Interbus (about $30 per person) up to Arenal and stayed at Los Lagos for a couple of days, then took Interbus down to Manuel Antonio for the remainder of your trip, then Interbus back to the SJO area, you're going to be spending $180 (at least) per transfer for your family. That's way more than the $350 or so you'll pay for the Suzuki APV. It was larger and actually less $$ than the Gran Vitara. We traveled with 6 adults and an 18 month old in a car seat quite comfortably.

Yes, you'll want to pack light and have your laundry done midway through the trip. Pack REALLY light! T shirts, shorts, swimsuit, tennies, flip flops, underwear, sunscreen, repellent, KEEP IT SIMPLE!

Sounds like a grand adventure to me! These days, the idea of taking children on a cruise ship sure doesn't sound appealing. Like others, after visiting CR and the Caribbean a few times, being on a cruise ship sounds like a very shoddy vacation!

Faithie, glad you made it back! Was it wonderful?? Of course! Do you know of some villas in and around Manuel Antonio (even Quepos) that kippy6 might be interested in? You know that area as well as anyone. . . .

Old Dec 28th, 2006, 02:03 PM

kippy6, while posting on another thread, I was reminded of Arenal Observatory Lodge. The have a very nice building called La Casona that has shared bathrooms (but very nice and was absolutely no problem for us--never saw anyone else hardly). Inside that lodge there are a couple of bedrooms and also a couple of bunk rooms. We paid $53 per night to stay there, breakfast and taxes included. It was a very good deal--and a beautiful property with good hiking and birding. I don't think you can see lava flow from there right now, but Arenal is so often clouded over that there are never any guarantees anyway.

It would be an economical choice for you. Downside is location. It's about 9km down a sort of rough road (not horribly, just sorta). Takes awhile to get in and out of there. Still think it would be a good choice for you and an oppportunity to shave some $$ from your total. I think Faithie could help you find similar in Manuel Antonio. . .
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 03:32 PM

Kippy - Just ignore this if Costa Rica is the only country in CA you'd consider.

Just my 2 cents worth - have you considered Honduras? You could spend a few nights in a jungle lodge in the Pico Bonito park near La Ceiba (rafting, hiking, horses, etc.), then head to Roatán for the rest of the time, maybe renting a place with snorkeling from shore. With small kids you might not want to do a side trip to Copán this time, but ruins can be amazing places to explore with a family. Honduras is incredibly beautiful and cheap and you could have quality jungle time and great beach time with just a quick taxi and a ferry boat ride in between (or a flight if you want to shell out for it). Let me know if you'd like to see our travelogue or links to places we stayed.

Have a great trip, whatever you decide!
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 10:10 PM

I don't stay at all inclusives so there are other people who can give you a better idea of what is available. They are nice in that they have kids programs and kids pools etc. They can get pricey for all of that.

You could take a look at VRBO. They have some lovely places for rent that won't wreck the budget. Many are in private gated communites so are safe, have tv, pools, housekeeping. I just took a quick look and saw a couple of nice places with 2-3 bedrooms from about $500 and up for a week. Most are going to be higher but $1200-1600 for a week would certainly find you more options. Food is fairly reasonable. VRBO is nicely set up in that most of the listings have calendars so you can see if they are available at the time you are interested. You might play around on that web site. I am sure you will find plenty of ideas for places to stay.
Old Dec 29th, 2006, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

I just read a reply from Faithie on another thread that she got her airline tickets via selloffvacations.com(look under discount airfares)...

Do you think if I booked the tickets on selloffvacations.com for March 31, that I'd still have time to get passports for 6 people? (haven't started this process yet). Or should I wait to book it until I receive passports?

You're right Suzie2. I see now what you meant. The only tours our family has ever taken has been with other people who happened to sign up at the same time. It's hard for me to imagine a tour just for our own family. Sounds great. There's so much to figure out!

My husband is leaning toward AI's for safety reasons, but that was before you guys told me that some of the houses/villas you can rent are in gated communities. I looked at a few villas in VRBO, and found some mostly around $2,500 for the week. But then again, I wasn't sure what city to focus on. This is really hard. But with all of your help, I think it is doable. Thanks so much for being willing to help. Talking w/you guys makes trip planning fun!!

I looked up Arenal Observatory Lodge. Sounds nice. We stayed at what I consider an eco-lodge at the Grand Canyon, and it was fine for us. We've also done the really nice all-inclusive resorts too. We don't mind mixing it up a little.

And thanks also to Shillmac for your great suggestions. I'm so excited about the thought of doing this. I must say that there is so much information to absorb that I'm reading everyone's replies over and over again. Got the map out last night to try to figure out where all these places are. I need a better map. I saw Liberia, but it was only a little dot...

We aren't set on Costa Rica. We are open to anything really. Honduras would be fun too. I'm just trying to find a trip that would offer some adventure - more than sitting next to the pool/beach in FL or Bahamas ordering margaritas (we've done that before -- but I'm ready for a change). Time for some adventure!

Wonder if any of these places offer childcare for a few hours one day(a place that you would trust) if we decided to do something more adventuresome that our 3-year old would not be able to do.
Old Dec 29th, 2006, 09:02 AM

Get yourself the Berndston & Berndston laminated map--Barnes and Noble. It is an excellent resource.

Also, you DO have time to get passports by March 31 with your airfare already booked. 4-6 weeks is typical. You can expediate it for a few $$ more--just for peace of mind.

Two areas I still think you should concentrate on: Golfo de Papagayo area and the AI's there. They all have staff who manage the Kids' Fun Club (activities for children) during the day--all kinds of things. Give you guys a little freedom now and then. Allegro Papagayo is a good choice--Zeydi works in the Kids' Club there and she is a sweetheart--have known her since we stayed there our first visit to CR back in 2001. There are evening shows that have a kids' preview as well.

But as I mentioned earlier, Fiesta gets good reviews as well. Most are very similar.

The advantage to staying in that "up north" Pacific area is its proximity to the Rincon de la Vieja National Park north of Liberia should you want to go there. Lots of stuff to do there, but I know very little about driving your own vehicle in there and then hooking up with the activites offered by the tour groups. We've driven in and hiked around, but did the tours for the other activities, like the big water slide down the mountain, horseback, and ziplining. Do contact Ricardo or Michael at Vargas Tours and see how they might be able to help you.

If you choose this area of the country and want a villa, look into the Playas del Coco, Playa Hermosa, or Playa Ocotal areas--all close and near the same area.

The other option mentioned earlier (Manuel Antonio) is a good one and combines well with a couple of days at Arenal. If you choose Arenal/Manuel Antonio, you'd fly in and out of San Jose. If you choose Arenal/north Pacific, you'd want to fly into SJO and out of Liberia. If you just book yourselves into an AI for the week (not a bad idea for a first trip with children), then you can fly into and out of Liberia.

Hopefully this isn't as confusing as it sounds to me at this point!

Manuel Antonio is a great area and will be "greener" in March than the northern Pacific (Guanacaste province) area. There are plenty of hotels that offer multiple beds in a combination of sizes in one room. I just don't know for sure which ones--send out a few e-mails or check some of the following online and see what you come up with:

Costa Verde
Hotel California
Villas Nicolas

All good hotels, good reviews, reasonable prices.

Not sure you'll find an AI that can sleep you all in one room, but you may be able to arrange adjoining rooms. Send out your feelers here as well.

Don't fret too much about which area you choose--it's all good and will offer you a delightful time. You'll want to go back!

One thing about the Manuel Antonio area is that the beaches in the park and the park itself are very nice--easy walking hiking for your little one. Nice flat trails, wide paths. It is 3 hours from SJO, easy driving, and there are a couple of great places to visit in between the two should you want to add another dimension. One is Carara Biological Reserve--the other Turu-Bari Park. Your family would enjoy either. Also, on the road to Manuel Antonio, there is the Rio Tarcoles where you can park and view the crocs down below--they're always there!

The more I write, the more it seems good to encourage you toward that area. Perhaps I should quit writing, and let you think for yourself! The planning is half the fun! I think you'll find your plan evolving over time. Ours always does. It gets tweaked several times before it's finally just like we want it!
Old Dec 29th, 2006, 10:02 AM

asa a resident of the Papagayo Gulf area until recently,i think you should be very careful about rtenting property in that area, especially with kids!!
unlkess you are absolutely 100% certain that it is guarded 24 hours by armed security dont even thiunk about it as you have a very good chance of being robbed!
I certainly dont want to put you off the area for a holiday but the fact is that house robberies in that area are almost at epedemic level.
i have personally known residents who have been held at gunpoint for hours whilst their property was robbed or women waking in the middle of the night to find intruders in the bedroom with the husband still asleep.

a few weeks ago in Playa Panama concerned residents hadnt seen a local expat checked his house and found him tied up beaten to death!
stick with the AI resorts for your first visit at least would be my strong advice!
Old Dec 29th, 2006, 10:07 AM

Ah, how discouraging. Head for Manuel Antonio--or do the AI, as Guanacaste suggests. Such a shame.

Guanacaste--did the incident involving the Playa Panama ex-pat happen just recently or was it back in the summer? I remember something similar from the summer--hoping it isn't a separate incident.
Old Dec 29th, 2006, 10:44 AM

probably more months than weeks.
i was there until October and though murder was thankfully rare, i heard stories of robberies at gunpoint and property theft of LOCALS, EVERY day!
the problem is pretty much out of control from Playa Pamama to Tamarindo.
Youre still safe as a tourist on main streets and taxis and guarded hotels but i certainly wouldnt buy property in the area or live there again!!
i think at that time of year Manuel Antonio and further south are much nicer, bit cooler-but still plenty hot- and greener and I loved Mal Pais when I was there in Sept/Oct.
i think Guanacaste is being taken over to a large degree by the 'dumb tourists' who think theyre in Mexico and 'wanna pardy'.

im liking Panama and Nicaragua more these days, always love Costa Rica of course, but its becoming VERY touristy, very expensive for Latin America and a lot of tourist rip offs, property crime etc.

p.s. Kippy6- just to confuse you even more haha, have you thought about Belize?
better beaches than CR with great snorkelling, diving, culture sites, anbd pristine jungle!

and if you weant to be really adventurous then Brazil!
Ive been to about 60 countries around the world but Brazil and India are my faves by a long way!!
maybe not practical with young kids but Brazil is the real deal. Costa Rica aint a big step up from your holidays in Florida, Mexico just a bit prettier!
Brazil has everything!!
Old Dec 29th, 2006, 11:10 AM

I do not think Honduras, Panama, or Nicaragua are good options for a first-timer to Central America, simply because they are "off the beaten track" a bit more than Costa Rica. That could be a bit much for someone who has not expeirenced it before, and what I took from Kippys post was that they are a bit tenative in the first place. Please dont get me wrong, these are great places which I want to visit, but tourist infrastructure is better in Costa Rica from what I understand. Perhaps Manuel Antonio is your best bet, you could take a look at the large villa at Costa Verde called Casa Quinta, beautiful, steps from a wonderful pool, great view, restaurant on property, helpful staff for tours, tons of wildlife, reasonably easy to get to from San Jose. I think it would be a great introduction to Costa Rica. I'll post my pics with shots of the pool and villa, beaches, wildlife, etc....
Old Dec 29th, 2006, 11:11 AM

selloffvacations.com just offers deals out of Canada I believe....
Old Dec 29th, 2006, 01:14 PM

Guanacaste, I'm very concerned about your report on the crime along the Pacific coast. I have been aware of some of the recent home break-ins and some of the more serious crimes but I also have heard that immediate steps were taken to try to bring things under control in Playa Hermosa, i.e. increased police presence and security patrols.
When you say, "Guanacaste is being taken over by dumb tourists who want to party", do you think that has something to do with this upsurge in crime? I always felt that that was the downfall of Tamarindo but Hermosa was always more of a residential community. Seriously, you live there. I'm just a visitor. Thanks for your input because I love Playa Hermosa.
Old Dec 29th, 2006, 06:04 PM

joeschmo, Guanacaste--you know what it sounds like to me: something to do with that old prediction that the Pacific Coast of Costa Rica, particularly Guanacaste, would be the new Cancun. All kinds of evidence that things are moving fast in that direction. That coupled with Faithie's post when she returned this week about all the Nicas doing the building in Manuel Antonio. I'm thinking increased building+insurgence of illegals=increased crime.

I know that theory gives the Nicas a bad rap, but at the same time I do believe there's some truth to it. I'm interested in your opinion also, Guanacaste. . .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -