Costa Rica Turtle Egg Laying Tour

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19th, 2004, 06:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought I better get this out before Christmas or I might get lazy and busy!
(HiPeg).

Sorry for the long report ,but I have not read where this tour was given before.

I recently visited Costa Rica for 16 days, staying at the Fiesta Premier.
I did all my tours exclusively with Vargas Tours.

I no sooner arrived at the resort and was unpacking when the phone rang, it was Lupita (Lu- pete- ah) Ricardo Vargas's lovely wife, telling me that she would pick me up at 5PM tomorrow for the Turtle Tour.

The next day Lupita called at 1PM and said, "I iwll be there are 4:45 PM"
We had corresponded by e-mail for many months, so it would a pleasure to finally meet her.

Vargas Tours are small group tours only,which is terrific and the reason I used them exclusively.
With them there is no hopping from hotel to hotel to pick up other people ,so thatone hour later , you are still picking up people..you all know what I mean.

I cannot say enough about Ricardo and Lupita.

Now Lupita came to pick us up at 4:44 PM talk about being on time.
I recognized her from the pictures I saw of her,when she pulled up in front of the Reception Area.

I started walking toward her and opened my arms and said, "Lupita", then took her hand and kissed it.

We headed out to meet Ricardo who was picking up a couple of other people at another resort.
See what I mean,Lupita came to get us and Ricardo went to the other resort.

We all met right on the main junction of Highway # 21 where that nice service station is called Total.

Then we all got into Ricardo's van and headed for Tamarindo...I sat in the front seat with Ricardo.

We went via Filadelfia- Belen-Cartagena-Huacas-and then to Tamarindo.

We toured about the town and then stopped for some snacks and then headed out for where we had to meet our Turtle Tour guide and start out tour... by this time it was dark and getting darker.!

When we got to the site this explantion was given to us by the guide.:

" We have no control over nature, we could be here until 3 AM and not see any turtles at all."
"So if any of you wants a refund ,we will be happy to refund your money and drive you back to your resort."

There were no takers , so we crossed our fingers and hoped for the best.!

We now had to go down a rather steep gravely slope to get to a boat that would take us across the bay to Playa Grande Beach area.
We had to cross in ankle deep water to reach the boat and only 10 people could get into the boat at a time.

I removed my sandals ,other did not. You are better off removing your sandals.! Finally we were all across.

I cannot impress enough upon you that it is pitch black outside ,so the moon was a welcome light.
You look back across the bay and you see the lights of Tamarindo in a distance.

I just have to say this (!).

Looking up at the moon and stars was absolutely heaven (pardon the pun).I have never seen so many stars in the sky. It was like a perpetual Milky Way all over the place.!

We all startd walking down the beach , lead by our guide, who had the only flashlight and even that was covered with a red cellophane to dull the light.

There can be only 120 touirst per night and no more 30 per turtle(if one comes !!).
A large segment of Playa Grande is protected under National Park law.
It is part of Las Baulas National Park..(Baulas means Leatherback).

There is NO picture taking .We were told to leave our cameras behind.

We keep walking down the beach,it is dark, someone stumbles over a piece of driftwood, another stumbles from walking in the soft sand.

About 20 minutes later we get to a little shack,where weall have to sign and give our passport numbers !! WHAT!!!? passport number, like yeah, I carry the number in my head !

Hmmmm,okay think fast, I wrote down my name quickly made up 3 alphabets and 4 number s for my passport.
No one questioned anything (Whew !!)

Okay , all done and signed in.
We keep walking down the beach ,hoping and looking in the dark.
Doesn't the turtle know we areall here waiting and walking .

The EUREKA!!!!
The guide gets a call on his walkee /talkee that just up ahead is a Giant Leatherback getting ready to anchor itself down for the task ahead.

Our hearts begin to race as little, we are excited, we are going to see something after all.!!

After having walked for what seemed like well over a mile along the beach, the remain several block to go to the turtle site was a piece of cake now.

FINALLY, there it was.!

It is huge!!!,much bigger than I had imagined.

Even though it was dark you could see the tractor like tracks this giant turtle made from the water to its present location.

The turtle was making itself sort of a placement in the sand and once it was anchored to its satisfaction,it began digging the nest with its back flippers.

At this point the turtle is in a trance and unaware of whatis going on.
Her main goal is to lay eggs.

There was a Biology student fom the University of Pennyslyvania helping the turtle in the nest digging process... but only a little ,because as the turtle flipped the sand out of the soon to be hole/nest,some sand would seep back in.

The student would use her hand to prevent the sand from falling back in.

The student has a miners hat on with a red light on top.

Finally with the students help the nest depth was achieved.When the turtle's flippers could no longer reach the bottom of the hole, the turtle knew the correct depth had been attained.

But oh! oh !,the turtle had started making the nest BELOW the tide line,which means that each time the tide comes in, the nest site will be covered with water.
The eggs have to be REMOVED !

The Biology student had a largeclear bag ready and when the turtle was getting ready to start the egglaying process, the student parts the turtles flippers and pushes the bag through and is now waiting for the FIRST egg to drop.

We are all in awe and waiting,we are standing in a half circle around the back of the turtle.

Thisstudent does not have a dignified job!
Picture her lying face down on the sand with the turtle's rear end in her face,!! ..and she has to hold on to that bag until the turtle is done.

Very soon,the first egg drops ..and then another..and another.!!!
After what seemed like 40 minutes , 70eggs are laid.
The eggs are pure white and covered with a sticky substance and has the smell of sea water.

We watched it all. Just Amazing !!!

But the turtle does not know the eggs are being caught in a plastic bag,so when she is done laying the eggs, she begins to move the sand with her back flipers to cover the nest.

The eggs are take to the turtle hatchery.

Another call comes in to our guide and just 4 blocks down the beach another turtle has come ashore.
But you are only allowed to watch ONE turtle.

So another group goes to watch what we just experienced.

Finally all is over and we start our long walk back to the boat that will take us back across the bay to Tamarindo.

I was walking in front with the guide,remember it is dark,then I see something huge moving about 20-30 feet ahead.

It's ANOTHER TURTLE, just coming out of the water.
The guide tells us to stop.
so we look and wait until she passes across in front of us.
It is dark but from this distance you can make her out rather well, thanks to the stars above.

WOW !!!! seeing one coming right out of the water.
And a few hours agao, we were hoping to just see one.

What an exhilarating experience ,and one I will remember always.

And that Fodorites, is turtle egg laying LUCK at its best.

Sorry for the long report.

Merry Christmas to all

Percy

Old Dec 19th, 2004, 06:04 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Dec 19th, 2004, 06:06 PM
Original Poster

hmmm trouble posting

ttt
Percy
Old Dec 19th, 2004, 08:08 PM

Percy, fabulous report! I appreciate your detail. What a grand (no pun intended!) experience! Did it all seem rather primordial to you?
Old Dec 20th, 2004, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

Hi shillmac:

Well, I read a lot about the egg laying tour and you do have some pre conceived ideas of what to expect.

But when you get there those fundamental notions sort of go out the window.

Like when the guide said: "there is no guarantee you will see anything"...your heart sort of sinks a little!

But it really was an experience tosay the least.

Our Tour guide ( Ricardo Vargas, who patiently waited for us)stated it best.

"When you see this from start ( Turtle egg laying) to finish, you remember it for a lifetime".

he is correct.

Percy
Old Dec 20th, 2004, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Am I the only one having trouble posting?

Hmm
Percy
Old Dec 20th, 2004, 09:03 AM

Thank you for a very lovely and detailed report. It made me feel like I was right there on the tour with you.
What an experience it must have been seeing this whole procedure live!
How much was the tour? From your report Vargas Tours sound terrific.
Did you book all your tours ahead of time or some of them after you got there.?
Once again Thank You for the great report.

jmvp

Old Dec 20th, 2004, 09:05 AM

Just to add that I also have trouble at times with posting a message.(???)
Old Dec 20th, 2004, 09:32 AM

Percy, how fabulous for you to get to see one of those huge turtles! I don't want to belittle your experience at all, but want to
share some info on another turtle nesting site, in Ostional. Ostional is about 20 minutes north of Nosara. My husband and I were lucky enough to be there for an Arribada (meaning arrival) when hundreds of Olive Ridley turtles come ashore to lay eggs. At an average size of 27" long and 25" wide, they are certainly not as large as the giant leatherbacks, but when you can only walk a couple feet without tripping over one, it's quite impressive! There was an arribada in 1996 where 500,000 came ashore at Ostional in a week period.
We had also been told they would not come ashore until after dark. We went to a restaurant up on a hill where we were going to have dinner and wait for dark, but we could see dozens of people on the beach. When we asked the restatutant manager about that, he said the turtles were there and that the townspeople were there to help them...keep dogs and birds away, etc., but also to collect eggs. They are allowed to collect a few hundred on every arribada. Anyway, it was great because the sun had not gone down yet so there was plenty of light, since it was still light out, we were told we could even take pictures. And as I said, there were so many, we could only take a few steps before having to move around or try to step over them. Talk about awesome! Also, the Olive Ridley turtles come ashore 10-14 times a year, (so sometimes twice a month) usually in the last moon quarter. So, anyone wanting to see turtles may have a better chance of doing so at Ostional!
Old Dec 20th, 2004, 10:57 AM

Percy, you described pure magic. What a wonderful life experience to have been able to add to your travels!

By the way, it's quite common to use the red cellophane over flashlights to preserve your night vision. we learned this from our local astronomy club.

Thank you for sharing this very special highlight.

-Sharon
Old Dec 20th, 2004, 04:50 PM
Original Poster

jmvp:

The price of the tour was $75.00
Yes,I booked all my tours ahead of time and all with Ricardo Vargas.

I have all the details and phone numbers if anybody wants or needs them for Vargas Tours.

Ally:
Thank you very much for your added in put.
Yes I knew all about the Olive Ridley Turtle Tours.
It was a pleasure to read you report about your turtle experience.

Sharon:

Thank you for the kind words. Glad to know others use the red cellophane flashlights.
These were the first I ever saw.

We had our own little "Red Light District" on the beach.!!! Only the guide had the flashlight.

Merry Christmas to you all

Percy
Old Dec 20th, 2004, 05:24 PM

Percy -
Loved the report. We wanted to do the Turle excursion in Jan 04, but ran out of days.
You stories of Ricardo & Lupita made me yearn for Costa Rica.
Thanks.
Old Dec 20th, 2004, 06:40 PM
Original Poster

Hi Jackie

I think we talked before.

Percy
Old Dec 20th, 2004, 07:29 PM

Great report. We went on the tour last week and Nada. Your explanation of the tour set up was perfect...we had to trudge through the backwater to get back to the boats which was a little bit of a downer at 2:30am after not seeing a turtle. If you decide to go on this tour here are a few things to take.
1. Do not take your camera
2. Take a beach towel or blanket
3. Take something to drink/snack
4. Flashlight (you can use it but not when you get to the beach)
We were there for 4 hours and we watched the stars and fell asleep on the beach. Ivan the guide did not offer refunds but you could come back for free one of the next few nights which was pretty well recieved.
Old Dec 21st, 2004, 03:58 AM

The red cellophane is used to protect the turtles. They get confused when they see the regular white lights and turn around without laying the eggs.

It is pretty expensive to do but there are lots of people who offer volunteer spots to help. I found a place where I get free room and board for 2 weeks of help and am looking forward to doing it one of these years.

Sounds like an awesome experience.
Old Dec 21st, 2004, 05:46 AM

There are several organizations that do "volunteer vacations". One that I've been interested in is Earthwatch. www.earthwatch.org
Old Dec 21st, 2004, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Hi shillmac

yes I have heard of Earthwatch.

In fact I asked the student who was catching the turtle eggs if she was with Earthwatch.

Stepmoore:

I realize I was very very lucky to have see THREE turtles.

Percy
Old Dec 21st, 2004, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

ttt

hmmm ..still having trouble posting.

sometimes it comes through very well and the next time it does not.

I answered a question on my Nicaragua report and it came to the top..but my above reply did not..so let us see of this reply hits to the top.

Percy
Old Dec 21st, 2004, 10:01 AM

10 years ago I went on a tour offered by the Diria Hotel. At that time it was $20.00! I remember my big mistake when I tried to make room for others to get closer and I got completely shut out. There were just too many people allowed on the beach at the same time. It was still a magical experience.
Old Dec 21st, 2004, 10:18 AM

if i went at the end of march/first week of april, would i see any turtles?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -