Is this a reasonable itinerary?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2005, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family is going on our 1st trip to CR in July. Any comments would be GREATLY appreciated----the whole trip has been planned based on posts from this site! Everyone's advice and guidance has been immeasurably helpful.

Day 1: Arrive San Jose early afternoon and go straight to Peace Lodge---La Paz activities
Day 2: To Tabacon Springs Resort---------do the hot springs and a night hike
Day 3: Car/Horseback/Boat/Car trip to Monteverde----hang around Monteverde Lodge
Day 4: Original Canopy Tour, hike cloud forest without guide, later do a night hike of forest with guide
Day 5: Travel to MA--stay at Mango Moon.
Day 6: Play on beach and explore the park
Day 7: Travel to San Jose---Hotel Don Carlos
Day 8: Leave for overnight Pacuare River rafting trip
Day 9: Return to San Jose----Hotel Don Carlos
Day 10: Home to New Orleans
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 08:54 AM

You're truely a Wonderwoman with this itinerary. You'll be spening lots of time driving, or getting from place to place. If you arrive early afternoon you'll have plenty of time to drive directly to La Fortuna and spend 2 nights there. You can do the volcano and hot springs,skipping La Paz. 2 days in Monteverde is fine, remember that it will take at least 5 hours to get there from La Fortuna.I'd do 3 days in MA, and arrange for the Mangrove tour yourself, not thru and agency.
Haven't been to Pacuare so cannot comment.
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 09:10 AM

For me, that would be WAY too much traveling. I'd cut out at least one or two of your destinations, because I'd feel like I didn't get to enjoy any of them enough.

For example, I went to Arenal on my first CR trip but felt like there wasn't time to fit in Monteverde, so this time we're going to Monteverde (and not Arenal).
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 10:16 AM

I too feel this is a bit too much. Typically I think most of us would recommend 2 - 3 nights in each location. There is so much to do in each different area, that I feel you are going to regret not taking time to enjoy all that each offer.

I know it is difficult to discard any of your options. But feel you will better enjoy your overall experience if you limit yourself to say 3 locations for 9 nights.

You mention "family" does this mean you are traveling with children? What ages? Will this be too much for them?

We have been to CR 4 times and have still not seen all that we want to see. Each trip we have always gone to different areas and I personally prefer for most parts a minimum of 3 nights. I just do not like feeling that I am living out of a suitcase in the back of a car. I also feel you need a day to get acquainted with your surroundings in order to get the most out of the stay.

I too understand that you may not expect to return to CR, therefore attempting to see it all in one trip. You can certainly do the trip that you have planned, I just believe that you are really rushing yourself.
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

THanks so much for the quick replies. The kids are aged 12-16, so an Ipod and a book will do for them in a pinch. However, I don't want to feel rushed. I'm beginning to think we should skip MV and stay in Arenal longer. Or should I skip Arenal and stay in MV longer? The two most important parts of this leg of the trip
are volcano and canopy tour. If I skip La Paz and do only Arenal or MV, will that work better? Whew---this does take some thought. Thanks for all your help!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 11:03 AM

I would usually agree that this is too much for the time you are spending there, but for some odd reason, your itinerary doesn't look that crowded to me. For one thing, your horseback transfer to Monteverde is part of the adventure so I really don't consider it transfer time. Another thing is your short transfer from the airport to La Paz--less than an hour. So really the 4 hour drive from Monteverde to Manuel Antonio is your longest transfer--not bad. Time on the road: 1 hour to La Paz, 2 hours La Paz to Tabacon/Arenal (guessing), 4 hours to MA, 3 hours to San Jose. That's 10 hours of driving for 9 days. Seems reasonable to me!

Usually, like dfarmer, I'd say 9 night--3 locations. To me, your 3 locations are Arenal, Monteverde, and Manuel Antonio. You're just returning to San Jose a couple of nights early for white water rafting! (I rationalize in strange ways)! Have fun!
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 12:24 PM

I did it differently. I left San Jose immediately when I arrived and stayed in Arenal 4 nights, Monteverde 3 nights, and Manuel Antonio 3 nights. The day of my flight home, I flew from Manuel Antonio (Quepos) to San Jose. Due to the poor road conditions, you will be spending a lot of time travelling. (e.g. It took more than 6 hours to get from Monteverde to Manuel Antonio)

In any case, have w wonderful trip.