Search

costa rica questions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 2005, 02:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
costa rica questions

We are planning a family (kids ages 10, 7.5) trip to CR around March-April. We have about 14-15 days. After a preliminary research it seems that we would like to focus on Arenal,Monteverde and one coastal destination. My questions are as follows: 1) As for the coastal destination - the choices are Dominical, Uvita and Osa. Osa seems the best but also rather expensive. Is it a big compromise to go to the other two ? Am I missing a lot ? Or is it quite similar ? From what I read I would rather skip Manuel Antonio and find a more quiet place.
2)Is it possible and practical to stay in MV for 3-4 days without a car (take a hotel pre-arranged shuttle), and then go to Fortuna (Arenal), rent a car there and return it in San Jose ? Do I really need a car once I am in MV/Santa Elena, or once I am there I can get around easily with taxi/tours/by foot ?
Thanks in advance for your kind response.
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 05:39 AM

We did Arenal, Dominical and Osa in June with kids 13,15. Loved Arenal and OSA was truly spectacular, but Dominical really seemed like only a surfing destination, which we did. Your kids are maybe a bit young for the surf size and crowd there. Not a good swim beach and a long drive down from San Jose, though the drive is easy.
My kids were not ready to leave surfing in Dominical when we left for Osa but upon arrival at Bosque del Cabo they were apologizing for doubting me (the family travel planner)! Osa was by far the favorite and well worth the splurge. It cannot be replicated elsewhere from what I saw and what I've heard from those more well traveled CR visitors. We do not regret skipping MA this trip. Osa is tricky to get to though. We had a driver, Oscar, down to Golfito who arranged a water taxi over to Puerta Jiminez where Bosque picks you up in a cool white Land Rover. Going home, we flew back to San Jose via Nature Air (they use twin engine planes). The flight added to the overall adventure!
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 07:08 AM

For the 2 weeks you plan to be there I believe you will appreciate the flexibility a rental car will give you. Even though you have not planned that many stops a car will give you the ability to change your mind or take advantage of opportunities that come up. Driving in CR is no problem, thousands of other tourists will be do it also. Arenal is a "don't miss" spot and MV is nice for 1 or 2 days. You might think about Tamarindo for a beach destination for a few days, then head further south. Good luck and have fun!
Old Aug 28th, 2005, 06:28 AM

I think you can get by without a car in Monteverde. I hired a driver to drop me off and I was GLAD that I didn't try to drive that road myself. I went around by foot a lot during the day (I'm a hiker though and didn't have young children w/ me), but you can't do it at night because it's too dark. You can take cabs, and I know a wonderful couple who lives there who are guides. They'll pick you up and show you around if you'd like their name and number.

Haven't been to Uvita, but I like Dominical and my teenage son says it's his favorite ocean for swimming--a little rough to make it fun and challenging, but not too scary (his words). It's a funky little town. You would also love Osa, especially if you are looking or a quiet place.

Sandy
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 12:59 PM

I think the car is a waste of money. they have shuttles everywhere in Monteverde and La Fortuna. We went with another family and their kids 12 and 13 and took the horseback ride from La Fortuna to Monteverde. They bring your luggage by 4x4. It was the highlight of the trip and experience isn't really necessary.

With the money you save by not renting a car I would go down to the Osa Peninsula. It was great. You can stay a hotel in Drake Bay and take boat rides to the park which might be cheaper than some of the lodges along the beach. Check out CorcovadoAdventure Camp ant Corcovado.com. We stayed there and it was fantastic.