Playa Del Carmen Restaurant "Best Of"s

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2013, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's been a few years so I need some updated info on dining. Last time I remember we enjoyed dinner at John Gray's but I hear that's closed. We had several breakfasts at The Coffee Press, and I heard that may be closed too.

We'll be staying at Luna Encantada condos, so we're right in town, and don't plan on renting a car.

Any recs in any of these categories will be appreciated:
Fine dining
Bang for the buck
Traditional Mexican
High end Mexican/Mayan
Tacos
Coffee/quick breakfast
Grilled chicken takeout (I love these places, so hopefully they are still around!)
Italian
Steak
Seafood
Traditional breakfast (eggs, etc)
Quick lunch
Off the beaten path
Any other ‘must eats’

Thanks!
Old Apr 4th, 2013, 12:36 PM

Haven't been to Playa in a few years, but La Pesca has always been our favorite casual seafood place. Nice ambiance, great seafood. On 30th across the street from the Mega Store.
Old Apr 4th, 2013, 08:06 PM

Fine dining: ComoComo on 5th between 38th and 40th
Bang for the buck: Try the Sunday buffet at Wah Wah on the beach at calle 2.
Traditional Mexican: La Cueva del Chango on 38th between 5th and the beach
High end Mexican/Mayan: Luna Maya on the corner of 5th and 38th above Baremar
Tacos: Late night Tacos Gomez on calle 2 across from the park.
Coffee/quick breakfast: JAVA on calle 10 across from the Beer Bucket
Grilled chicken takeout (I love these places, so hopefully they are still around!)
Italian: So many good options...too hard to choose!
Steak: El Diez on 5th corner of calle 30
Seafood: Best cocteleria Manigua on calle 40 between 5th and 10th
Traditional breakfast (eggs, etc): Try La Vagabonda or Las Mananitas both on 5th
Quick lunch: MUST eat at Los Aguachiles on calle 34 corner of av. 25. Lunch only til 6pm.
Off the beaten path: Cheesters on av. 40 near calle 4. Closed Tuesdays.
Any other ‘must eats’: Empanadas in the morning from Don Luis on calle 12 bis near the 20th av. ADO station. Tell him the gringa from New York sent you with love.
Must eat at Canibal Royal on the beach at calle 46ish. Lunch only.

Have a great trip! Enjoy Luna!!
Old Apr 5th, 2013, 04:13 AM

Michelle's list is a classic. She lives here in Playa and is really spot on.

Last night weI had take out dinner from Cockteleria Manigua which she recs above. Garlic shrimp with mashed potatoes and a fried tomato and some crunchy things on top of the tomatoes, sea bass almondine with rice and fresh veggies, for dessert they had a house made coconut item that was between the consistency of a cheesecake and a flan, and a corn-based ice cream. OMG, it was all so good.

We love the restaurants at the "38th St. Corridor" around 5th ave And Calle 38. This is where ComoComo is, and Cueva del Change, etc. LOVE Xocolatier for breakfast, ESP eggs florentine, and they have a great juice and smoothies menu. also good for lunch. they have curbed back their dinner menu recently.

LOVE Cocottes Cita at 38th and 5th ave (next to Piolas) for French food.
Old Apr 5th, 2013, 04:37 AM

Tacos: Tacos al carbon at Carboncitas, Calle 4 btwn 5th ave and 10th Ave, 1.5 blocks from the beach. Half price tacos al carbon and margaritas from 3to 6 pm every day

pizza: La Famiglia on Ave 10 at Calle 10

Fine dining but still very casual: Imprevist on 1st Ave. rivals any NYC meal I have had.

best beach club food: Indigo, at calle 14 and the beachfront.

Bang for the buck: both Carboncitas and Aguaschiles

BEST PASTRY SHOP: I just discovered this one the other day, a local sent me there. On CTM, if you are walking or driving from 5th ave, turn lEft on CTM, and it is down several blocks on left side. Small place with French name. OMG. the guy is Belgian and makes chocolate croissants, tiaramisu, strawberry delicate things, filled flaky pastries ricotta and blueberries in them, it is all divine. Totally worth it. I will find the name and post back.

SO MANY new good restaurants on north end of town, at 38th Calle and beyond. A new coffee roasting place opened at 5th and Calle 42 recently, they have a big old traditional roasting machine and they bring in beans from Veracruz. you can buys their coffee by the lb to take home. Other good coffee is the Chiapas coffee available at the DAC produce stand on 30th, close to Mega grocery store, I think cross St. Is 20th

BTW, the natural food restaurant outside the DAC produce is EXCELLENT food, for lunch. excellent fresh. Juices and smoothies and licuados also. Had lunch there the other day. Another do not miss.
Old Apr 5th, 2013, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

wow, this is great. I'll look for Don Luis, and tell him that "the gringa from ny" sent over another "gringa from NY" (I too am one!).

Keep them coming. Thanks.
Old Apr 5th, 2013, 01:39 PM

That French bakery is Tiramisu (Something). Geez, I just drove by it and can not remember the 2nd word.
Old May 6th, 2013, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

I'm also interested in some non-food 'best-of's such as textiles (yardage) and silver jewelry. Any recommendations for these?
Old May 6th, 2013, 11:40 AM

And excellent place for breakfast/lunch is Karma Bagels!! I'm a big fan, they make bagels with all kinds of ingredientes. It's located in the 5th avenue.. i don't remember between which other street but you can ask there. I'm sure you will love it.

I went to PDC a couple months ago, so please feel free to ask if there's anything i can help you with.
Old May 28th, 2013, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the recs. Any thoughts on good places for unique silver jewelry? Any other restaurant recs? Any other recs in general?
Old May 28th, 2013, 02:15 PM

here are lots of good silver shops on 5th Ave. I prefer the smaller ones where the owner has not put so much cash into his inventory. They are in better bargaining position, IMO. And you must bargain Bc they will start at at 5 to 8 times the value of the piece.

There are some good smaller silver shops on 5th Ave between Constituyentes and about Calle 28.Also some stands there that have good 925 and 950 silver pieces.
Old May 28th, 2013, 02:23 PM

best massage, consistently over several yrs and many, many massages at many different places:
The Lily's massage stand across from Texas BBQ on 5th Ave, just north of Calle 20. It is just a small stand, and if you get a massage they have their massage area set up in a large room they have rented at the small hotel where the sign is. The young Mayan women who work there really are very very good and sweet, and the room has good AC, which is key this time of yr. I pay $45 for 1.5 hrs of massage. (there is a 2nd location of Lily's further up 5th ave at Calle 40, but it not nearly as good, skip that one.)
Old May 28th, 2013, 03:47 PM
Original Poster

This is a good list! We leave 6/8!