Search

Costa Rica Packing List

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2000, 10:41 AM
Patty

Costa Rica Packing List

I need some suggestions on my packing list. Our trip is the last week of July til Aug 5th. What kind of restrooms can I expect, should I pack my own tissue? The travel agent advised purchasing a urination funnel, that has me freaked out! I plan to stock up on film, batteries, and sunblock. Did I miss anything?

Old Jun 2nd, 2000, 11:48 AM
lisa

Your packing list will depend on where in the country you are going. What is your itinerary? <BR> <BR>Regarding the bathrooms, again, I'm sure it will depend on where you're going and what type of places you plan to stay in. We had been warned before going that in certain areas toilet paper would be disposed of in baskets rather than flushed down the toilet, but everywhere we went the bathrooms were fine and TP could be flushed. In fact, public bathrooms seemed to be cleaner in CR than in many places here in the U.S. I have never heard of a urination funnel but whatever it is, we never needed one. <BR> <BR>I always bring little packets of antibacterial wipes when I travel though -- they come in handy for cleaning up after picnics, and they make you feel better if you happen to run across facilities without soap or hot water in the bathrooms.

Old Jun 2nd, 2000, 01:03 PM
spin

Patty, Get the funnel. You'll need it out in the country where they don't have seats on the toilets. Megallans a pkg of 4 disposables at www.megellans.com.

Old Jun 3rd, 2000, 05:59 PM
Kelli

PATTY-I WAS IN CR LAST YEAR AND DID NOT NEED THAT FUNNEL THING. WHEN I WAS ON VARIOUS DAY TRIPS I WOULD FIND RESTROOMS THAT DID NOT HAVE TOLIT PAPER SO I WOULD SUGGEST THAT YOU BRING SOME ALONG. JUST AS IN THE US I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND SITTING ON THE SEAT!

Old Jun 4th, 2000, 11:00 AM
Joanne

Patty, <BR>Don't forget insect repellent (we liked Deep Woods Off) No matter where you go in Costa Rica or where you stay you will need it at some point. We found this to be a lifesaver!

Old Jun 5th, 2000, 05:24 AM
Ally

I have been to Costa Rica 5 times in the past 7 years. I have NEVER needed a urination funnel! I've never even heard of such a thing. Maybe you'd need one on Mt. Everest, but not Costa Rica! <BR>I do suggest you take a roll of TP, though. You may need it for road trips as some of the bathrooms on the highways may not have any, or may be out. <BR>Lot's of sun block is a must, as well as bug spray. Have a great time. Costa Rica is beautiful.

Old Jun 8th, 2000, 09:31 AM
Jeanne

Ditto. I've been to Costa Rica four times since 1989 and I have relatives who were in the Peace Corps there. We never felt the need for a funnel.

Old Jun 8th, 2000, 01:26 PM
spin

Patty, Try: www.oratory.com/travel. It is the Compleat Carry-On Traveler site. My wife swears by the funnel, but...

Old Jun 9th, 2000, 11:47 AM
Globetrotter

Let's rename this post subject to "much ado about a funnel", shall we?! <BR>Patty, SKIP THE FUNNEL! I have traveled all over Central and S. America and never used a funnel. Some places there would not have been a place to dispose of it! (maybe they're disposable, I dunno!) <BR> <BR>I agree w/ the TP or tissue posters. Also, I always bring anti-bacterial handwipes and the non-liquid hand cleaner. Sometimes there's no place to wash hands and I'm a germ freak! <BR> <BR>CR is georgeous - my 1st visit was in 91 then again in 98. It has become significantly more touristy but still you can find hidden-away areas. For better advice, tell us where you'll be.

Old Jun 14th, 2000, 08:36 AM
Eula

Pack that funnel girlfriend, because you are gonna need it. And pack lots of TP and seatcovers as well. Unlike men when nature calls our choices are limited. It is better to have it with you just in case. I sure am gland I packed mine.