Search

costa rica or cuba

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 12:01 PM
carol

costa rica or cuba

We are trying to decide which is better to visit in February, Costa Rica or Cuba.<BR><BR>We like a smaller city/fishing village atmosphere where there are ATMs but not pollution. We don't like to lie on the beach, so we need a place that has stuff to do.<BR><BR>We do not need luxury accomodations, and would rather stay somewhere with local character. We are interested in meeting the people and getting the flavour of local life. Are there opportunities to meet friendly locals in both countries? How limited is travel for foreigners in Cuba?<BR><BR>We like interesting architecture (probably more common in Cuba), off-the-beaten-path stuff, and Latin music.<BR><BR>We are not into hiking and backpacking at all, but are a bit interested in some eco-tourism things like the tree top rides and butterfly tours in Costa Rica. We have no problem with walking or bussing to cool places, but can you really do that in Cuba? <BR><BR>I don't like the heat, unless it is dry heat, so this points more to Costa Rica.<BR><BR>Help!

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 12:47 PM
Susan

Hi Carol. I've been to both, although not for several years. I was in Cuba probably 22 years ago and it's been maybe 11 years since I was last in Costa Rica. My concern with Cuba is that it might not be all that hot in February. Costa Rica would probably be better for that. I realize you said that you don't like the heat, but Cuba is like Florida - it's not very far south. Most travel to Cuba seems to be all inclusive, and that's another thing I wouldn't really want. But that's obviously an individual preference.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 08:41 AM
jj

Been to both. Mostly all-incl. in Cuba. Not much to do there, I enjoyed C.R. MUCH more. People happier there. non-communist.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 10:29 AM
carol

Susan, I found on an Internet site that Cuba is hotter than Florida or San Jose in February, and humid. When I was in Florida about 4 years ago in February, it was hotter than normal and humid and I hated it.<BR><BR>jj, I am not sure why you comment that you like Cuba more because it is non-communist?

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 11:41 AM
jj

I said I prefer Costa Rica more, only partly because it is non-communist, unlike Cuba. The inefficencies, lack of tourist infrastructure, poor environmental conservation policies, shortages of everything for the av. Cuban, etc, etc, etc, is notable on a visit to this island.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 11:57 AM
Lupe

Definitely Cuba. I cannot believe someone said that people were happier in Costa Rica because it is non-communist.... absolutely absurd. I found some of the most inviting, happy people in Cuba. You might want to try Varadero where there are many resorts, but you will find ATMS, internet access, etc. You could also try Vinales, but it depends on what you mean by "stuff to do." What kind of stuff?

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 12:16 PM
Dawn

If you do not like hiking and treks through the wilderness then I am not sure if Costa Rica's main attractions are going to appeal to you.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 06:23 AM
carol

Define "Stuff to do"... hmmmm<BR><BR>NOT laying around baking/sweating on a beach. Not clubbing. Not fishing.<BR><BR>Wandering around getting the flavour of the people. Easy hiking or biking, that is, cleared trails with not much climbing. Listening to music. Interesting geology or architecture. Cool churches or religious sites. Interesting food. My husband likes snorkelling and boats. Scenic drives.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 12:52 PM
jj

Take my word for it-go to Costa Rica. All there is to do in Cuba is sit around on the beach at your all-inclusive hotel and get sad looks from your waiter and maid, hoping you will give them some felt pens or crayons for their children. How would you feel seeing all the fresh fruit and seafood you can never have, served at these hotels to foreigners? Oh, and if you tire of your hotel restaurant you can sample another "local" one; only problem is, there isn't one! Hop into a cab and have the driver take to somewhere-where?- there is nowhere to go! I guess you could visit the oil refinery spewing out the unrestricted fumes or go see the slash and burn areas on the east end of the island. Why do you think people are risking their lives trying to get he** out of there?

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 08:48 AM
Lupe

jj,<BR><BR>i am sorry you were not able to experience the beauty of the country, a country lacking in various areas, but one that is truly rich in many others... perhaps the thousands and thousands of tourists that go there every year go for some good reason.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 08:51 AM
Lupe

carol,<BR><BR>"stuff" to do... sounds like Cuba would fit, but although I enjoyed the food there, I have heard from others that they did not care for it.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 08:58 AM
NoCuba

The only cuban travel I know of first hand, is a friend that went to visit his family. We took a suitcase full of goods, clothing, repair parts for a water pump, shoes (every size he could), he wore on top of all his clothes t-shirt upon t-shirt. He would save the food served to him at the hotel for his family visits, and was profusely thanked for the taste of a ham sandwich. He came back wearing old raggedy clothes, shoes with holes, and not even the empty suitcase.<BR>Charming, isn't it?

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 11:16 AM
carol

Lupe, I checked into it some more and I think Cuba holds more interest to me. I have had Cuban food in Key West and liked it a lot, and know there is more diversity than the few dishes I sampled. I found a web site that showed the architecture, history and geography, and it is very interesting. There are some mountainous areas and it is not all beach front hotels and it sounds like there is no restrictions on movement. The only negative I have heard so far that would affect me is the high cost of phoning home.<BR><BR>Costa Rica is interesting too, but less so than Cuba at this time. It looks like it is good if you are into hiking through the wilderness or lying on beaches. The volcano sounds cool.<BR><BR>jj, I do not stay in all-inclusives. If I wanted a hotel with a pool and a nice view, I could do that at home. I do independent travel.<BR><BR>I am surprised by the condescending tone of some posts here. Very judgemental. Poverty occurs everywhere. Don't get on your high horse because they do not react the same way as you want them to when you give them handouts. Don't criticise until you look into your own backyard first.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 12:22 PM
Lupe

carol,<BR><BR>i would love to share some photographs that i have on CD rom with you. in fact, i will send you some via e-mail.<BR><BR>i am going to be traveling to cuba again in january, and i hear the weather is in the 70s during this time.<BR><BR>i hope you enjoy the trip, and feel free to e-mail me if you have additional questions. you might want to check out this web site also: http://www.cubanculture.com/<BR><BR>happy travels!

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 01:18 PM
NoCuba

Just stating the facts. Even though Cuba must have a very interesting architecture, and very warm friendly people, the local life you want to experience, is depressing.<BR><BR>I am looking into my backyard, and it's no picnic, but at least I chose to live here.<BR><BR>You speak of ATM's, hummmm.... Just wondering if Cuba knows this exists. Do you know if there are ATM's Lupe? <BR><BR>Flavour of local life, must taste quite rancid, when poverty and dictorship regime is your daily bread and butter (do they have any?).<BR><BR>Must be a wonderful island, so many are willing to risk shark infested waters leaving in makeshift boats. How's about those young men that have just asked for exile in Toronto? Fools, I imagine.<BR><BR>Great president Fidel, held elections. Whoaa!!! You say there was only one candidate? How's that? I don't understand. Like I heard on a movie recently, "explain it to me like I was a 3 year old child."<BR><BR>

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 01:36 PM
carol

Have you been to Cuba?<BR><BR>Have you been to the impoverished sections in Canada, or in your own country?

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 02:05 PM
NoCuba

I'm not Canadian, Carol.<BR>As I said, I chose to live in my impoverished (or not) country. It's my choice. If and when the time came, I would lose my freedom, I would most certainly risk the shark infested waters to escape.<BR>

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 02:11 PM
NoCuba

Carol, it's your vacation. It's supposed to be fun!!!! If Cuba is your choice, when you come back please share witj us a trip report about your experience. <BR><BR>Tells all about the ATM's; tell us about the friendly happy locals; tell us of the well fed people; tell us about the interesting flavours.<BR><BR>I'm sure we will all appreciate the details.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 02:16 PM
Lupe

speaking as an international traveler and someone who has been to cuba, one will find all different kinds of people anywhere and everywhere. i met people in cuba who were thirsty and hungry to leave the nation, and i also met people who were quite content and happy living there. i saw impoverished souls begging in the streets, and i also met cubans who were on vacation in varadero where we stayed for a few days. <BR><BR>if some people stepped out of their happy, little suburban homes for a minute and drove down to an inner city close by, they would see the same poverty, children begging in the streets, and violence (and might i add, cuba has very little, if no violence). <BR><BR>you may use ATM/check cards, but as you may have realized (being that the u.s. has an embargo and all), u.s. banks do not pay out, so you can use ATM/check cards from any other nation besides the u.s. <BR><BR>if cuba offers nothing, then why are a group of senators there at this very moment (the trip is sponsored by the private Center for International Policy, a Washington-based group), looking into lifting the embargo and perhaps trading (this would benefit agriculture and California farmers)?<BR><BR>think before you speak. think critically before you just spit words.<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 02:30 PM
NoCuba

Lupe, it's not spitting. Unfortunately many of my acquaintances are Cuban born, living in exile.<BR><BR>Think for a moment, think about your hometown. Think about having to leave your family, friends, and risk it all.<BR><BR>I can deal with poverty. Talk about the poor, have you been to India? It's not poverty of money I'm speaking of. I'm talking about poverty of spirit. <BR><BR>Those that are content, are too weak or brainwashed to fight it. Maybe they're scared for there families. They can't speak what they think. They've been holding it in for too long.<BR><BR>Not all Cubans are poor, many are very rich, extremely wealthy. You just have to be in the hubnob of the communist party. There are mansions. Fidel has homes worldwide, it's a well known fact.<BR><BR>Cuba trades with many countries. Yes there is a US embargo. But it's the corruption that has put this country in the impoverished state it's in. <BR><BR>BTW, Carol was the one that brought out the issue about the ATM's,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -