Search

Costa Rica Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27th, 2005, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Costa Rica Itinerary

Hi, we're planning a trip to CR over the easter break. We only have a week, but are going to try and squeeze 3 areas in. We land at night on March 27, so we will spend that night at an airport hotel. We are renting a car and plan to drive to Arenal the next morning and have reservations at the Arenal Country Inn for 1 night. We hope to see the volcano, waterfalls, hot springs and do one of the canopy tours. (Is Sky trek preferable to the one offered at the Arenal Paraiso)? The morning of the 29th we will drive to Tamarindo and stay at the Tamarindo Diria for 2 nights and enjoy the beach and surfing for a couple days. After that, it's onto Manuel Antonio for 2 nights at Si Como No. Our last night has to be back at an airport hotel as we have an early morning flight. How does this plan sound to everyone? We'll be traveling with 2 teenagers and are pretty limited as far as changing hotels as that week is quite booked in Costa Rica. I've been reading most of the posts and it seems like our drive to Arenal will be about 3 hours, Arenal to tamarindo about 5 and maybe 6 from Tamarindo to Manuel Antonio...do these times sound correct? I would love any input. We are so excited about this trip and I'm already planning to return and see some of the areas we won't be able to cover this time. Thanks!
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 08:35 AM

For a 1-week trip you might be trying to squeeze a lot of miles in. The drive from Tamarindo to MA is going to take most of a day - you will see a ton of interesting stuff along the way - and MA is lots of fun - but I would think about staying to the northern end of the country for just a week. Maybe SJ - Arenal - Tamarindo - Monteverde? - SJ. Your original itinerary is do-able, don't worry, just a suggestion. Good luck and have fun!
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 08:51 AM

Shelly: First of all..congratulations for your choices. I am going to Costa Rica for my third time during spring break myself. There is no place like it. It began with the fishing trips to Quepos (a very fine little town). You will enjoy your stay at Si Como No. I still have one of their T-shirts lol. The food used to be very good there as their bar in the pool . You must go and dine at El Gran Escape while you are in Quepos. Tell Marsha (owner) Joe P. from the Hideaway in Fort Worth told you to come visit. You will be captivated by the rain forests. Those driving times sound correct all depending on traffic, road washouts or weather. I like Quepos better than Tamarindo but Quepos is a special place for me. Am going to a much smaller venue in Playa del Coco this time. The reviews have been wonderful. The teens will be ated as well. Great surfing, waterfalls and whitewater activities. The animals of the rain forests are amazing..It will be a trip you will never forget and probably not your last there. Enjoy Pura Vida.
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

Hi, thanks for your input dncee and jazzbo. We were originally going to aty in Tamarindo for 4 nights and do day trip from there, leaving Manuel Antonio for our next trip. However a friend said we couldn't miss it this time and it was only a 3 1/2 hr. drive from Tamarindo. I had my doubts on her time frame, but we went ahead and changed the reservation. It's killing me that we don't have at least 3 more days to spend in Costa Rica. I'll definitely try the restaurant you mentioned. It's so nice to be able to chat with people who have been there.
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 10:37 AM

Agree it really isn't best to do more than 2 locations in one week--especially arriving so late, BUT, that said, you are going to have a wonderful time with the itineray you have set. You are going to be on the road a LOT, but, if you enjoy spending time together and being adventurous, you'll have fun driving and looking. Yes, it is a long haul from Tamarindo to Manuel Antonio, but that's okay. You are set so don't fret--just enjoy the time you have!
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply shillmac. I've learned a great deal from reading your responses to many others on this site. If we were to skip one portion of the trip, which would you vote for? Thanks!