Costa Rica - first trip - April

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2010, 07:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a trip to Costa Rica in April for a family wedding. The wedding will take place in Jaco. We have never been to Costa Rica before and would like to spend (up to) a week sightseeing.

I've heard some things about how difficult it is to drive in Costa Rica due to the other drivers. Can anyone give me some idea how difficult it really is? Having a car would simplify going to several locations.

Also I am starting to put together an itinerary. Any comments on my first attempts?

Day 1 Saturday - Fly to San Jose - stay there 1 night

Day 2 Sunday - San Jose - see National Theater and Museum - drive to Nueva Arenal - stay in that area 2 nights

Day 3 - Monday - Nueva Arenal area Canopy tour

Day 4 - Tuesday - drive to Monteverde Cloud Forest -Hanging Bridges tour - stay there 1 night

Day 5 -Wednesday - drive to Manuel Antonio Natl Park - stay there 1 night

Day 6 - Thursday Visit Manuel Antonio -Drive to Jaco - stay there 2 nights

Day 7 - Friday Jaco Wedding

Day 8 - Saturday Family stuff – drive to San Jose and spend night there

Day 9 - Sunday - fly home

Anything we should cut out or add? It would be nice (less expensive) to get by with 7 or 8 days rather than 9.
Old Jan 19th, 2010, 07:50 PM

Fun trip but too much moving around for my taste (not enough time in each spot). I'd skip Monteverde this trip and add a night in Manuel Antonio.
Old Jan 19th, 2010, 08:09 PM

I'd skip Monteverde this trip too; it's not worth the long bumpy drive for one night there.
Old Jan 19th, 2010, 08:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! That's exactly the sort of thing that I needed to know. It's always a little tricky to plan a trip to somewhere I've never been.
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 02:32 AM

t, Jaco has a reputation for being kind of seedy. We haven't stayed there but there are numerous posts about it - just a heads up in case you wanted to spend more time in Manuel Antonio.
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 05:30 AM

Actually with such a short trip, I'd skip your sightseeing in San Jose and head directly to Arenal, staying three nights there since you are skipping Monteverde. Plenty to do at Arenal for three nights - thermal springs, hanging bridges, Cano Negro boat trip, canopy tour, horseback riding, hiking.

If your flight arrives late afternoon/evening stay at a hotel in Alajuela region close to airport and get an early start to Arenal in the morning. If you fly in early afternoon, you can leave same day. San Jose traffic can be a nightmare and going into the city just to see the National Theater and Museum will swallow up a good chunk of your day - unless you are a total museum buff.

National Theater is lovely, but Arenal is better!
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 07:48 AM

Agree with colibri. The National Theater is very nice and I'm glad we saw it, but I would skip SJ and go directly to Arenal. The Cano Negro boat trip is very nice. Although we did our ziplining in Monteverde, you can do that in the Arenal area just as well (if you like that sort of stuff). I would spend the least amount of time in Jaco and more in MA. There is much to do there, although it is touristy. We did our horseback riding with Finca Valmy while in MA. They have some great horses. I would recommend them highly.
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 08:32 AM

I would agree with skipping San Jose too. I didn't mention that because I figured the OP might really enjoy the National Theater, but if it's not a priority I'd head up to Arenal.
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 08:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips on skipping San Jose. Basically we were going to spend the night there since I didn't want to drive after dark. Last night, I was reading about the airport being outside the city. If there are hotels there, it could save us the drive in and possibly tricky streets.

I've never ziplined before and would like to try it out.

One tour book mentioned getting a 4WD vehicle. Can anyone speak as to whether it would be needed in April?
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 04:31 AM

Plenty of airport area hotels - check out the current thread on the topic.

No, you don't need 4WD for Arenal to MA/Jaco area.

Skytrek at Arenal gets very high reviews for ziplining. Arenal Paraiso has 11 lines with the option of leaving after the first two if you decide it's not your thing.
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tip on Arenal Paraiso. I like the option of trying the first two and knowing that I could quit if it was too much for me.

I'll look for the airport thread.
Old Jan 26th, 2010, 11:58 PM

I live on lake Arenal.
I agree with the other posters as to skipping Monteverde.
The Monteverde of today is nothing like it was ten years ago. I wont even go up there any more.
As far as driving, if you have experience driving in the mountains of the US you won't have any problems here.
San Jose.
If your flight lands before 2 PM get out of SJ immediately. It's a dump not unlike Guatemala city or Mexico city,just on a smaller scale.
Jaco.
Jaco is an interesting place, full of thieves , hookers and dopers.
When you first drive in, what you see is an illusion.Beautiful on the outside and rotten on the inside.
Stay in at night and stay in a group when out and about.
The smiling English speakers want to "help you"...out of your wallet.

Manuel Antonio is your best bet, and do some exploring down that way. There are several nice little beach towns down that way.Move around.
Explore and enjoy.

The ziplines at the Eco Lodge, just outside of Nuevo Arenal, are quite nice and it's a great place for a horseback ride.
The gingerbread house, dot com, has the finest food............anywhere ? The chef is an Israeli dude and has had restaurants all over the world. It's absolutely fantastic.
Another place is Cafe and Macadamia around the like toward my place and Tilaran. Incredible lunches.World class stuff, with Costa Rican pricing.
From Arenal you can easily day trip to Rio Celeste and Tenorio park..Google it.
It's incredible.

Have fun and toss any " travel guides" you might have in the trash can, where they belong.
Pura Vida
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 03:29 AM

Oasis--
Have just noticed your posts. We are visiting CR for the first time this May.

Is Cafe and Macadamia closer to Lost Iguana than going into town? I am considering not getting a car when we are in Arenal--we are there 3 nts--I realize activities are a bit spread out. The other restaurant you mention Gingerbread.com is a new recommendation on this board too. Is that in Fortuna?

I have booked a guide for the Rio Celeste--we are able to change our mind and go elsewhere if we decide not to go there. We love to hike and I have been fascinated with the Rio Celeste after reading about that area. I don't find a lot of info on it, but the guide loves it. I booked him for the whole day so I know we have transportation then and he is taking us on a night hike to the volcano one evening.

What are your top 3 choices of activities in Arenal?
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 06:35 AM

LindainOhio,

We, too, loved the Rio Celeste area. I think your plan to spend that day with a guide who knows the area is a really good one--and the night hike as well. Enjoy!
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 06:55 AM

The Cano Negro tour out of Arenal is a great way to see wildlife if you have time. The waterfall hike is great, and you can swim there - really pretty. I think the hot springs are a must for an evening - Eco Termales is nice; Tabacon is popular too.
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 07:17 AM

For information on the Rio Celeste, you can look here

www.costarica-nationalparks.com
www.heliconiaslodge.com
www.ruralcostrica.com

My advice, as with others, is to stay your first night in Alajuela - there are many nice inexpensive hotels a short taxi ride away - and have the rental car company deliver your car the next morning. You will start fresh and ready with no worries about parking, etc, your first night. Some of the hotels are near the center of Alajuela where you can walk around, do a little shopping or banking, get an ice cream and sit in the park and watch the world go by. Others are a little out from Alajuela - ideally, you can find one of these near Alajuela that is on the way to Arenal. If you go into San Jose, for instance, you drive the opposite way and in the morning, you will backtrack and drive past the airport on your way to Arenal.

Some nice hotels include Vida Tropical B&B, Los Volcanes (near the center), Airport B&B, Hotel Buena Vista.
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

We have experience driving through the mountains in the U.S. and western Canada, so your analogy was a big help.
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 04:32 PM

I agree with colibri 100%. Arenal and MA are the best. Do not skip Tabacon hot springs, you will regret it. The capuchin monkeys in MA are something to see and Cano Negro offers a chance to see nature at it's best. Best advice, stay away from Jaco, not worth it not a safe place. Definately zipline and enjoy "pura vida."
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 07:05 PM
Original Poster

Well, since we are going to go to Costa Rica in order to attend a wedding IN Jaco, it's hard to stay completely away from Jaco (G). However, we'll definitely plan to spend most of our time in the spots you've all recommended.