Search

costa rica airports

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2007, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
costa rica airports

my husband and i are planning a trip to costa rica in early May. We would like to go to poas volcano, arenal and some beach...right now the front runner is playa ocotal. We are trying to decide which airport to fly into...liberia or san jose. Right now liberia is a little less expensive. I was also curious about the car rental situation at both airports. I heard there was a surcharge for picking up a car directly at san jose airport, is there one for picking up at liberia as well? Im sure i will have more questions but we are just starting our planning. I have really enjoyed reading all the CR posts, they have helped out sooo much! Thanks!
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 04:11 AM

Julie, I don't worry too much about the surcharge. Supposedly, if the rental office is right there at the airport, there is a $12 or something close to that charge. The places we use are just up the street. .they pick us up at the airport and take us to the office. Most do that. Liberia is the same. Have fun. .I'd definitely fly into Liberia if I were you!
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 04:12 AM

BTW, since you are just beginning to plan, know that Tricolor is an outstanding company, excellent record, cheapest rates available. They are now is Liberia as well as SJO.
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 04:29 AM

Julie, I too would fly into Liberia if you're planning a trip to Arenal. If I remember correctly, the drive from the town of Liberia to Arenal was approximately 2 hours long. I have flown into both airports and as shillmac mentioned, the rental car agencies will pick you up at the airport and shuttle you over to their offices.

Last February, we stayed at the Lost Iguana Lodge in Arenal and loved it. The weather was very cooperative and we were able to see the summit of the volcano everyday we were there. At night the lava flows were excellent. Enjoy!
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 08:45 AM

fly into Liberia, what extra you pay youll save on time and aggro going thru San Jose, which is my least favorite city in Central America!
In Playa OIcotal stay at Ocotal Beach resort high on the hill with great sunset views, or Villas Csa Blance a 'romantic' boutique hotel closer to the beach:

http://costa.rica.typepad.com/playa_...ome/index.html
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 02:12 PM
Original Poster

thanks everyone for your help. i really appreciate it!
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 07:02 PM

I think the drive from Liberia to Arenal is more like 3.5 hours, over some really rugged road. Another nice place to stay in Playa Ocotal (cheaper than Ocotal Beach resort and Casa Blanca, but truly beautiful) is Villa Vista Mar:
http://www.villavistamar.com/
If you stay there, ask the owners for directions to the Tears of Cortez waterfalls - one of the prettiest spots in Guanacaste.
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 07:12 AM

rbrazill, We took the Interamerican highway which was nice and paved and then the roads into Arenal (thru some mountains) were fine as well. Once we passed the Windmills, we started to get onto some rocky roads. However, these roads were still fine compared to the ones we've traveled from Liberia into Protrero and Sugar Beach. Those were the worst ever that we have traveled in Costa Rica.

I'm guessing the drive from Liberia was at most 2 1/2 hours. Maybe we're just heavier on the gas pedal?
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 11:13 AM

Hands down, Liberia.
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 03:51 PM

we fly into liberia, spent a few days on the pacific side at Flamingo beach, then went to arenal, then back to liberia. Roads weren't bad at all. Not US quality, but definitley passable and drivable.
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 04:53 PM

Ah, someone whose opinions of the roads are similar to mine!

We have been on some roads (notably on the southern Nicoya Peninsula, east coast) that make the roads around Liberia and Potrero look like superhighway! Guess it's all relative!

No one has mentioned it, but last time we were in Montezuma, the road between it and Cobano was atrocious!
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

alright everyone...well, despite all the positives about flying into liberia, i found a deal to san jose that i just couldnt pass up...flying spirit airlines out of orlando to san jose is going to save us about 450 dollars!!! so san jose here we come.
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 06:23 PM

Good for you! Let us know what you think about Spirit--great fares they're offering now, that's for sure!