Search

Cost Rica: Caribbean Side

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2005, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cost Rica: Caribbean Side

I am new to this forum and have questions about the Caribbean Coast of Costa Rica. My boyfriend and I a thinking about getting married next May, just south of Puerto Viejo at the Hotel Cariblue. Has anybody ever stayed there? What is the village of Puerto Viejo like? It seems harder to find information on the Caribbean side. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 01:36 PM

Read the 3-week trip report I just posted. The Cariblue was nice enough, but I thought the services could be better. Great buffet breakfast, good food but not real cheap. Could not change any US dollars, no bike rental, etc. Also there was a hassle over my bill. They upgraded us and put us in the honeymoon suite which I was not aware of because I did not ask for the honeymoon suite and thought I was in a standard room. They said to me why didn't you say something that you did not want the honeymoon suite like it was my fault. Didn't you look at the webpage? I did not even know I was in the honeymoon suite. They said they would credit me with the difference, but I thought it was weird. Puerto Viejo was kind of funky (a backpacker or surfer's kind of place, don't think I would ever stay there.) Playa Cocles is nicer. Rains a lot in that area. To me that is the big draw back. Anything else I can answer, let me know.
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. Can I ask you a few more question? What is the restaurant and bar scene like in Puerto Viejo? Are there things to do in that area? Meaning if we go down with 10 to 15 people are there alot of things, tours, sights, to see and do? The area looks ideal to my boyfriend and I but I want to make sure that there's a little something for everyone. Thanks for your help!
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 03:58 PM

There is not as much to do in that area as some other areas in Costa Rica. There are some small villages, Cahuito National Park (snorkeling), surfing, zip-lines nearby, side-trip to Panama, Bocas del Toro. There are lots of bars and restaurants in Puerto Vieja that seem to cater to a young crowd (early 20's). There are some nicer restaurants and better lodging further south in Playa Cocles. Puerto Vieja itself is a surfer and backpackers kind of place. It does rain a lot there, so keep that in mind. Be happy to answer any other questions you have.
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 06:10 PM

For those who would like to do some birding, there is an excellent guide down near Manzanillo. He would also be available for other types of guided tours/hiking. There is more to do here than many think, and hiking in the Gandoca-Manzanillo Refuge would be enjoyable. The Caribbean side has quite a bit of wildlife, many, many different species of birds. You can cross the river over to Chase, Panama for fun (in a long canoe). There is a "rancho" inland where a Bri-Bri Indian family will show you how they live in the middle of the forest. There is a tourist center for information and scheduling in Puerto Viejo. Also you can do some dolphin excursions. We enjoyed renting bikes and riding up and down the highway between Puerto Viejo and Manzanillo. It is very laid back and relaxing on that side. But you can find quite a bit of activity if you look for it and know where to look.
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 06:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again for your responses. We are planning on staying in Costa Rica for several weeks after the wedding to do some exploring on our own but wanted to choose a place to bring people to that had a very distinct flavor. From what I've read the Caribbean coast sounds like just the place. We are in our late 20's and enjoy the "backpacker" feel of places. I just hope that it is as beautiful as it sounds. Also was wondering if there a grocery/liquer store in Puerto Viejo? Thanks so much.