Reload this Page >

Copacabana, Ipanema, Leblon???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2000, 12:15 PM
Caryn

Where would you suggest staying in Rio -- Copacabana, Ipanema or Leblon? We would like a central location, a good place from which to explore the city entirely. We also like to be near restaurants, shopping, galleries . . . . Any particular hotels that you would advise looking into? Thanks.

Old Apr 18th, 2000, 04:07 AM
Erin

Hi Caryn, <BR>All of these locations are central with good restaurants and shopping. Copacabana is considered "the action". It's busier, louder and more congested than Ipanema and Leblon. Ipanema and Leblon are more residential and more upscale. For example, in Copa, there are tons of restaurants lining the street across from the beach. As a result, there are tons of vendors trying to sell t-shirts, baseball caps, and other stuff. And yes these vendors will come up to you while you are eating! In Ipanema, most of the buildings opposite the street are apartment buildings or hotels, especially at the end nearest Leblon.. The only vendors we experienced were on the beach in Ipanema and they are not aggressive at all.. Personally, I prefer to stay in Ipanema and "visit" Copa <BR> <BR>For hotel info, check out www.ipanema.com. This website lists most of the hotels in Rio (with descriptions and prices) and you can make your reservations through them. I was just in Rio six weeks ago and I used them to book my hotel. We stayed at the Country Residence apart-hotel in Ipanema. Good Luck! Rio is a beautiful city and highly addictive. You will want to keep going back! <BR>

Old Apr 19th, 2000, 08:50 AM
ED

HI Caryn, <BR> I agree with Erin. I was in Rio over the Thanksgiving week last year and stayed at the hotel named Praia Ipanema. The location of this hotel is excellent. It's right across the street from Ipanema beach and on the borderline with Leblon. However, the hotel itself is , in my opinion, only ok. It is clean, but there's nothing luxurious about it. Still, if you decide to stay there, it will serve the purpose. Enjoy your trip and make sure you visit Corcovado, Sugarloaf, and Vista Chinesa.

Old Apr 20th, 2000, 10:33 AM
Amauri

Hi Caryn, <BR> <BR>If you don't like crowded places and tons of vendors, please don't go to Copacabana. I live in Rio (in Barra da Tijuca) and I don't like Copacabana at all. It's the most famous beach, but Ipanema and Leblon are much more calm, beautiful and not so crowded as Copacabana. <BR>If you need more info, feel free to contact me. <BR>

Old Apr 21st, 2000, 03:31 PM
Erin

ED: Since you liked the location of the Praia Ipanema, the next time you go to Rio, consider the Country Residence hotel. The Country Residence is behind the Country Club, which is next to the Praia Ipanema. The Country Residence is a condo building with a few apartments available to rent, so you feel more like a local than a tourist. I also heard that the Praia Ipanema is "just ok". Another ok hotel is the Marina Palace in Leblon. We stayed in a "suite" there one night and we were not impressed. And it wasn't cheap either!