Colokid - help

Dec 26th, 2006, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

Colokid - help

You mentioned in a post on 9/5/06 that the grand coco bay resort was "just past" the Caribe Shangri la resort. Are the two resorts within walking distance? Do have you know of any other AI resorts within walking distance to the Shangri la?
Thanks much!
Dec 26th, 2006, 12:09 PM

Yes, they are within easy walking distance. Also, Las Palapas is right next door to Shangri La. When I went past at the end of Nov Shangri La had lost a significant amount of beach although Las Palapas was fine. I'm leaving again Saturday so I'll check it out further as that is the beach we use. You could also walk to Shangri La from Royal Porto Real which is now know by another name (possibly Playa Porto Real) because they went adults only AI last month. They're all on the same stretch of beach.
Dec 26th, 2006, 12:13 PM

One other thought, the Coco Bay resort has boats moored off in front.
Dec 26th, 2006, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

Thank you! Have a great trip and if you come across any additional info. while there please post it!
Feb 1st, 2007, 11:47 AM

Colokid,
Curious to know what the beach was like at Shangri La and Las Palapas
during your most recent visit, thanks.
Feb 1st, 2007, 03:35 PM

Hi Carla,

The beach at Las Palapas was great. The beach at Shangri La not so much. We were there over New Year's and the place was packed with people staying at Shangri La and others who come and sit on the beach in front who live there. The beach was very small at Shangri La and there were lots of people sitting amongst the lounge chairs. I commented to my husband that I would have not been happy if I had been staying there...the most crowded I've ever seen Playa. But...on the last day we walked the beach again (Jan 7) and the beach had started to come back at Shangri La. Don't know if that continued but my husband is going down at the end of Feb and I'm going down at the end of Mar so I can keep you updated if you want. The Royal Porto Real had a good beach too and it looks like they've gone adults only with upgrades to the resort. I've not stayed there but it does look nice. Coco Bay was ok..there's always a lot of kids there and some boats are moored off the beach but you can walk a short way over to the left and have a great place to swim. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Feb 4th, 2007, 10:10 AM

Thanks Colokid. I just found a webcam at ShangriLa...eee gads. Looks like this place has been "discovered"! I stumbled across this property 15 years ago while cruising through the jungle in my jeep and thought one day I would like to come back for a vacation. Need to find a new "undiscovered" location. If you know any can you email me at kingsis33 at aol dot com, thanks.

Search this Thread