Coffee tour

Dec 6th, 2003, 12:49 PM
Original Poster

Coffee tour

Is the Britt coffee tour really worth the time? I've read that one should buy coffee in the supermarkets to take home. Is that a good idea, or should we just wait for the airport shop?
Dec 7th, 2003, 02:18 PM

Have never done a coffee tour...but that might be fun ...we do go to a local supermarket or mercado and buy our coffee bean right off the shelf. Don't forget to look for the coffee liquer.
Dec 8th, 2003, 09:29 AM

Was at the Britt last month and found the tour interesting.
It cost $30.00 at the gate.
They explain the production of coffee and then they do this comical stint for you which is a nice change from the usual lecture type tour.

Then you go into the tourist shop and there is coffee everywhere.
You get to sample as much choclate covered coffee beans as you want.
BUT beware!!! you willstart eating these like choclate covered peanuts and then about 2 hours later you have this caffiene high!!
Also when you get to the San Jose Aiport on your flight back,there is a Britt Coffee Tourist shop , it seems like, every 50 feet in the airport!!!.
So you will have lots of opportunity to back coffee on the way home.
Percy

Dec 8th, 2003, 12:57 PM
Iza

Buy your coffee at supermarkets and shop around to get the best price. It is much more expensive at the airport.
We did a short coffee plantation tour a few years ago and it was nice but I am not sure that the Britt coffee tour is worth it (their coffee is very good, however). Another coffee estate that has tours is Doka. Their coffee was the best coffee we bought in Costa Rica, the brand is called Three Generations (gold color bags).
Dec 9th, 2003, 05:24 AM

Iza is correct. Buy your coffee at the Supermarket or small stores. It's MUCH more expensive at the airport.
Dec 9th, 2003, 05:53 AM

$30.00 for a coffee tour? Are you sure? Do they give you a year supply of coffee with this price?

$30.00 per person or a whole family?
Dec 9th, 2003, 11:34 AM

We (family of four with kids) did the Cafe Britt tour this last summer. As I remember, there are two prices: one that includes lunch and one that doesn't. Don't remember the prices, except that I do remember that it was expensive...$30 sounds right. We liked the tour, the play, and the lunch. The real roastering ovens are located there and there are some areas planted in coffee onsite, but of course the big coffee areas for harvesting are located elsewhere.

The tour is in Spanish and English and is clearly for tourists....fun and interesting anyway. They don't have coffee tours in California where we live, so we did it.

I believe there are set times for tours....check ahead.

The coffee liquor is worth bringing back, but we got another brand (very good Cafe Rica about $10 per bottle)at a supermarket.

Jim
Dec 9th, 2003, 05:35 PM

Yes, $30.00 per person is the price of the tour.
But if you had taken the bus tour ,where you are picked up at your hotel then the tour price is $55.00 per person!!.
We paid $30 at the gate and then waited about 5 minutes before the tour started.
Out personal tour guide made reservations for us ahead of time,which I did not know until we got to the gate.
Is it worth $30/person!!??
That depends.
Your are in Costa Rica, you heard about Cafe Britt, you know how important coffee is to Costa Rica, you want to learn something about coffee, they give you a tour and explantion and then a comedy skit show for about 30-35 minutes( maybe longer).
Then you go into the tour shop, and sample whatever you want.
I did not buy any coffee at the Britt shops, nor at the airport.
I was going to tour Heredia anyway and that is the area where the Britt is.
Personally I am glad I went and saw and I guess that is what touring is all about.
Some tours are good ,some are not that great.
Some are expensive and some are well priced.
It is like that no matter where you go in the world.

For example,I paid about $7.00 to visit Zoo Avenue, near the airport,( had to kill some time before my 2 PM flight), was the Zoo worth $7.00.
YES...just the see the QUETZUL was worth $7.00 in itself.
So everything is relative.
Have a nice time in Costa Rica.
Percy

Dec 10th, 2003, 10:26 AM

I just got my December issue of Conde Nast Traveler and it just happens to mention a tour. Here's what it says:

If a Starbucks menu were a grade school education in caffeination, Costa Rica Expedition's daylong coffee tour would be a Ph.D. By watching locals at work cultivating, drying, and roasting beans, all with minimal impact on the fauna, participants learn eco-friendly planting and processing methods at Cafe Britt's plantation. Included in the price: a yearlong monthly shipment of your daily grind. A taster even personalizes the blend (506-257-0766; $1,059)."
Dec 10th, 2003, 04:02 PM

Judy,
The britt tour es nice, and they always are on time. is a play in a small farm in downtown. For Costa Rica Britt is a new Brand of Coffee with nice packing, but here we take more of 100 brands and types of cooffee of high quality. Like Volio, Rey or Meseta and i bought last week and amazing coffee liquor named Don Braulio, i cant believe each bottle was hand painted! hand painted! just $10 in the airport. You can buy coffe in the supermarket with good price. the best cooffe tour is doka try www.doka.com is a tour in a real big farm.
Dec 10th, 2003, 07:28 PM

I third the vote for Tres Generations coffee. Did a quick tour of their place a couple of years ago and also stopped in at their roadside coffee house this past year.
Dec 11th, 2003, 09:50 AM

Last summer in CR, our hotel Villa Caletas, supplied Cafe Britt coffee with the coffee maker in our room. We loved the coffee so much we bought a bunch in a local supermarket to take home. It was cheaper there than at the airport. I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to do the tour of the plantation.
I just ordered a bunch of coffee from their website to give as xmas gifts (as well as some to keep). If you order over 8 bags, they give you free shipping.
Dec 11th, 2003, 04:05 PM

Like Kristina , I also had Cafe Britt coffee given to use in our room each day . 2 packages per day.
We did not use any of the packages , as we were served Cafe Britt coffee in the
dinning area for breakfats and dinner.
So we brought all 18 packages home.
That was on November 5th.
How many have we used at home since we got back.... 2 packages!!
I mean it is good ,but after a while, coffee is coffee.
So when friends come over, we make them some Costa Rica coffee.
For myself at home I use Maxwell House, Folgers ,or what ever.
It was a treat in Costa Rica but at home I would rather have my personal regular everyday coffee.
But that is my personal choice.
Anyway,you cannot go wrong by taking a Coffee Plantation Tour..no matter which one you go to .
Percy
Dec 11th, 2003, 06:01 PM

I always plan on a little room in my suitcase to bring back the Lizano and the coffee beans. I even have a little Costa Rican wooden drip coffee maker with the little bag for the grounds. CR has really spoiled me for good strong coffee.
Dec 11th, 2003, 07:02 PM

Suzie2....yes you are spoiled!!!!

I could not wait to have my first cup of coffee when I was in Costa Rica.
In fact we even klinked cup together like you do when you are toasting your drink to celebrate an occasion, when we had our first sip of coffee in Costa Rica the next morning .
I am not spoiled yet but then I have 16 packages on the shelf.
Hope you did not get a piece of that storm that passed through your region.
Percy
Dec 12th, 2003, 03:20 PM
Original Poster

Suzie 2
what is a Lizano?
Dec 12th, 2003, 04:03 PM

You are all addicted to coffee. How about those who do not drink coffee? Is there anywhere in Costa Rica a tour of Coco or hot chocolate place?
Dec 12th, 2003, 04:18 PM

Hi Mama
Yes,we like the Costa Rica coffee.
But hey,if you know the history of Costa Rica , then you know how important coffee and bananas were in the early days of Costa Rica and still very important now.
They even built a railroad across the country to ship Coffee and Bananas to Puerto Limon.
They closed the railroad in 1993, as a few new ports opened near Puntarenas.

No sorry I do not know of a coco or hot chocolate tour..maybe there is one.
If there is Suzie will know.

C'mon, have a sip of Costa Rica coffee when you go down !!!!!!
Percy
Dec 12th, 2003, 04:27 PM

Thanks Percy but no. I guess I had too much coffee when I was younger.
Dec 13th, 2003, 07:15 AM

Don't know that there is any cocoa tour specifically. Went through a botanical tour down in Golfito a couple of years ago and the man explained that there has been a fungus or something that is killing most of the cocoa trees in CR so there aren't any large plantations. He only had one cocoa tree left on his property.
For those of you who are into pure unadulterated organic foods/coffee. Monteverde has its own coffee plantation and coffee. It can be bought only in Monteverde or on Montana Coffee Traders web site. The site also has a nice story explaining the story about the special Monteverde coffee. Worth reading about even if you don't like coffee.

Hey Percy! We were about 20 miles south of the storms. My family in Connecticut got hit pretty hard though. Enjoyed reading about your trip. If you want to see the Quetzal in the wild head down to San Gerardo de Dota. We sat for several hours on two different days just watching a bunch of them. This was in late January. They are supposed to be there year round but that time of year is breeding time so the males are in full feather.
Lizano....a great sauce in a bottle that is wonderful on the typical black beans and rice that you get EVERYWHERE! You will see it on most tables in CR. They also make a good hot sauce in a smaller bottle.

For the non coffee drinkers, in some places you can get fresh lemonade with just a touch of fresh ginger. Wonderful. There are also lots of fresh fruit drinks. I just love the fruit and milk blends, especially the blackberry.