Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Club Med Huatulco, Mexico - worth trying?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28th, 1998, 08:18 PM
Trina West

Thinking about taking my sons (ages 14 and 9) to Club Med possibly in October/November, 1998. Would be interested in any feedback from someone who's been there.

Old May 30th, 1998, 06:08 AM
Beth Hegarty

I am thinking the same thing with three daughters age 15,12,8 in aug 98. Have you any info? thanks Beth email me if you have

Old May 31st, 1998, 09:21 PM
Ellis Toussier

I've been to Club Med Huatulco, and all the other
Club Meds in Mexico, since I love Club Med and
I live in Mexico... (I do NOT work for Club Med, and I am NOT a travel agent) Club Med Huatulco is the most luxurious of the 5 Clubs in Mexico... Like all Club Meds, it has all the sports and food, etc.
included. The rooms are built on hills, with good views, and there are little "trains" that transport you up and down. This is as luxurious as a Club Med gets, which means rooms are not luxurious at all, but excellent food and activities, always... The beaches are good, the restaurants are all good, and there are plenty of sports activities. Check with Club Med which sports they have, but I think this must be among the most complete.

My personal favorite Club Med in Mexico is Can Cun,
and Huatulco is my second favorite... The beach and the ocean is best in CanCun, but Huatulco is good also, just not as good for scuba diving. (Huatulco also has a good convention center, which CanCun does not.) CanCun is best for singles and young couples, Huatulco is good all-around. (I'm no longer single, so I might start liking Huatulco better...)

Write to me if you have more questions. I'm glad to help.

Old Jun 25th, 1998, 10:08 AM
donna

Hi, <BR>Saw your posting on the internet re: Club Med sites in Mexico. We were thinking of taking our son to the Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo location. You spoke highly of the Cancun site: will Zihuatanejo be shabby? Are the lodgings cinder-block style? And if you go, what essential items are you sure to take, e.g., do you need hairdryer, shampoo, etc. <BR> Hope you don't mind the query. <BR> Thanks, <BR>Donna <BR>

Old Jul 2nd, 1998, 04:23 PM
david

Huatulco is very nice . They have the best (and most) restaurants of all the clubs in Mexico. I think it is the newest club in Mexico also. I've been there twice for a total of 4 weeks. I've been to the club in Cancun 5 times . It has better water for diving and also the ruins which are really worthwhile and maybe a younger crowd depending on the time of year. I like both clubs and it really depends on what you are looking for and the time of year that you go as well as the other people there for the week ( GO's and GM's). I've been to all the Clubs in the Western zone and many in Asia. I'm happy to give any help that I can.

Old Jul 4th, 1998, 09:24 AM
Sarah Fuhrmann

We took our (then) 6- and 10-year-old boys to Club Med Ixtapa two years ago. Despite it being very hot and a bit rainy (they were closing for the season after the week we were there) we loved it. <BR> <BR>Our boys were absolutely thrilled and didn't even care about the somewhat spartain accomodations and less-than-frigid air conditioning. <BR> <BR>One thing to note: This is the kind of place for a GREAT family vacation, but there's little if any time to be a couple at the family-oriented Club Meds. We went with the intention of making it a family-centered week and had a fabulous time. Two years later and the boys are still talking about it.

Old Jul 7th, 1998, 08:58 PM
AW

Make sure that you're in sync with the Club Med program -- if you're a novice, as I was at Huatulco this spring, you may be in for some surprises -- loud disco music for hours every night, lack of air-conditioning which was needed in the bedrooms, very spartan accommodations, plentiful but very standard food, relentless chumminess but not a lot of real friendliness. I didn't like the "hey guys, it's time for pool games!" attitude, or the forced laughter at the talent shows every night. Kids seem to love it though, and tend to run off in groups of their own age and they're relatively safe and definitely happy. In sum -- I didn't like it at all, but my 14 year old had a great time. There are several Club Med websites (not the official company ones) which can give you an idea of the range of opinions.

Old Jul 11th, 1998, 07:41 AM
Judy

Why don't you look into the Royal Maeva in Huatulco? I am a travel agent and have stayed at many deluxe all-inclusive resorts througout the Caribbean. The Royal Maeva was wonderful. Great service and staff..wonderful entertainment and GREAT children's program. Also, I can't imagine being in Huatulco without A/C. It was very hot when I was there in March.

Old Jul 13th, 1998, 07:17 AM
Kimberly

I agree with Judy about the Royal Maeva in Huatuclo. If you are going to be in Huatuclo, you definitely need the air conditioning. And the hotel facilities are very nice, there are many activities for the family and the staff was fantastic. <BR>