Reload this Page >

Costa Rica/Osa Peninsula in December

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2000, 04:30 AM
BD

I'm contemplating a trip to the Osa Peninsula in Costa Rica the first week of December 2000. This will be the tail end of the rainy season. Has anyone traveled to this area at this time, and what kind of weather did you experience? Brief afternoon showers, or all-day downpours? Sunny or cloudy? I'd appreciate any information on this area.

Old May 14th, 2000, 06:13 AM
Dave

We were there several years ago in January. I remember the weather was warm and pleasant. Don't remember any significant rain. The sunsets were beautiful and we went swimming in the pacific. I think you should not worry about rain.

Old May 14th, 2000, 02:12 PM
Pierre

We were there in the end of last November and it rained only once for about 20 minutes. Dave is right, don't worry about rain, just go and have a great time. Post your trip report

Old May 15th, 2000, 07:08 AM
lisa

We were there during the last week of Nov./first week in Dec. of last year and had great weather overall. We were in Osa 4 days and I only remembering it raining once and that was at night. Days were warm and sunny. You'll have a great time -- it's glorious there.

Old Jun 10th, 2000, 04:24 AM
BD

Thanks for your responses! I've been doing a little more research, and decided that if I go, I'd like to stay at Bosque del Cabo. Lapa Rios also sounds nice, but it is more than I want to spend. I've read alot of positive comments about Bosque. <BR> <BR>I understand that Bosque will arrange air transportation for you from San Jose on Travelair and then pick you up at the airport in Puerto Jimenez. I'd be interested in hearing about experiences with this airline. Is it reliable and generally on time? <BR> <BR>Because of flight schedules, I would have to overnight in San Jose. I was considering Hampton Inn near the international airport. I understand Travelair flies out of a different airport about 9 miles away. Does anyone have any other suggestions as to where to overnight in San Jose? I don't need anything fancy or expensive. <BR> <BR>Thanks!!

Old Jun 12th, 2000, 05:51 AM
lisa

Hi Brian. There are only two airlines that fly the smaller cities within Costa Rica -- Travelair and Sansa. Travelair's prices are slightly higher but everyone we spoke with said they were slightly more reliable and reputable, although both are fine. Neither of our Travelair flights were on time but I don't think either of them was more than an hour late. I understand this is typical. Both of our planes were 15-seaters and were fine; the flights were very brief. No bathrooms on board so go at the "airport" (and I use that term loosely -- there really isn't any airport to speak of in Pto. Jimenez, just a runway. Yes, Pavas airport is the one used by Travelair instead of the international airport. It's smaller. If you want a great place to stay without having to go into San Jose (bad traffic -- avoid it if you can), we stayed at a wonderful place called Vista del Valle in Alajuela. It's about 20 minutes from the airport. Good luck.

Old Jun 12th, 2000, 07:09 AM
Martha

Any time after mid November is usually a great time to travel to Costa Rica. You shouldn't see much rain at all by the end of December. The rainy season is generally from May till November. I was just there a week ago and even then it only rained for a couple of hours all week. Have fun!

Old Jun 13th, 2000, 10:33 AM
Stewart

Went to Osa November 98 to lapa Rios. It was awesome! Lapa Rios is an eco reort overlooking the ocean. <BR>The food is fantastic and the rooms delight. <BR>Got bitten 2x by the same scorpion!It <BR>went into my pack buckle. <BR>Lots of hiking.If you don't hike or bird watch dont go. <BR>The nature is wonderful. Take your bags off the floor at night. <BR>The rainy season didnt really happen that season and it was dryer.But the rain is usually over by end of November.