Cigarettes in Cozumel???

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 06:35 AM
Kim

Cigarettes in Cozumel???

I'll be in Cozumel next week and was wondering do they sell the regular brands of cigarettes sold in the US, preferably Marlboros??? Or am I better off bringing my own?

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 07:58 AM
Bill

You should expect to find Marlboro reds anywhere in the world, and Lights.

Don't expect to find Menthol Marlboro Light 100s, though. You'll find reds and lights in the duty free shops, likely will find light 100s, maybe other varieties. The duty free shops say that they have the same smokes as in the U.S. and that the foreign packs are lower grade. The carton of Lights I got in Rio for $6 was nasty, but the $15 carton at the Rio duty free was ok.

If you live in N.Y. and pay outrageous prices, then go to the duty free shop. If you live in Virginia, like me, just go to Costco for the $20 carton of boros in the flavor you prefer.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 09:24 AM
Kim

I live in Michigan where the prices are pretty high, about $35-40 for a carton. I don't smoke too much so maybe I'll just buy them by the pack while I'm there. Thanks for your reply!

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 02:34 PM
smoking in mexico

Even though they are labled the same, the cigarettes are *not* what you are used to in 'the states'. if you're picky, bring your own. if you are adventurous, give it a go, or buy a local mexican brand.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 03:24 PM
Karen

Go to the duty free shop in the airport. Cigarettes were going for $17/carton in duty free. I saw Marlboro there and some of the other big brands. If you can't get in duty free on the way into Cancun, get them on the way out when you leave. Come to think of it when we arrived I don't remember any duty free shops.