Child with Restroom Issues--help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I have backpacked around the world, and little fazes us in the way of sanitation. Somehow, we've produced a child who has major phobias of bathrooms that aren't super clean. We're thinking of heading to Oaxaca (and possibly Cozumel as a sidetrip) but I must say I'm a little concerned about the restroom issue. I don't need any lectures about letting him just deal with it; we go through that daily. Anyone know of a hotel in Oaxaca & Coz with sparkling toilets? Thx!
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Sorry--I should also mention that we're considering Costa Rica as well. (we'd steer clear of the volcanos--he's freaked out by that too!) Basically I'm wondering whether it's possible to find a clean restroom between San Jose and Quepos, as little kids have little bladders (he absolutely won't "bush it" either).
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 02:39 PM

Cozumel - Intercontinental Presidente. Stayed there every year for ten years and always impressed with bathroom cleanliness throughout the hotel.

btw, Almost all of the restaurants and many of the smaller hotels in Mexico in coastal areas ask you not to put paper in the toilet and have a "box" in each stall for used toilet paper.

No offense, but this might send the boy over the edge...
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 02:50 PM

I was just in Oaxaca for 10 days and found most of the toilets in hotels and restaurants quite clean. How old is your son and can he tell the difference between "brand new" and "old but clean?"
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 03:01 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I think you are correct to be concerned about Mexico (no experience in CR). As mentioned above, there's the no-flushing-the-TP issue, not to mention the possible lack of toilet seat!, and any place that is not a brand-new American-style resort I think could look suspicious to your son even though they may be perfectly clean (cracked Mexican tiles, etc.).
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 03:05 PM

Exactly my thought, Suze. How old is your son, skateboardmom2? I hope he grows out of this.
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

Thx very much for the input. He is nearly 9 and has a counselor (sigh) about this and other issues. And yes, I heard about the no toilet paper in the toilet issue. Older bathrooms are OK for him; he's just a germ-phobe and freaks out if he can't wash his hands afterwards. (he won't use those Purell hand sanitizers because "they're only 99.9% effective against germs.&quot he doesn't have a problem with airplane bathrooms though (we certainly don't clue him in!). We sure hope he grows out of it; someday we want to return to Nepal, Laos, Africa, etc. etc... Anyway, we're probably going nevertheless. My husband is determined to "help" him through it. I'm sure this is much more than anyone wanted to know!
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 03:55 PM

Yikes. I guess he doesn't know about the germ count on bar soap in public bathrooms. You have my sympathies.
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 04:07 PM

Again in Mexico, sometimes the sinks are separate from the toilets, even outdoors, or in a shared area between the mens and womens rooms.
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 04:14 PM

Maybe you could show him medical journal articles on how exposure to some dirt and germs can strengthen your immune system? If you're "too clean," you may not develop resistance against some of those germs. Sorry, I know you didn't ask for this kind of advice, but I couldn't help myself. And, of couse, I know that many of our fears like that don't respond to logic.
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

I'm sorry to say he typically packs his own bars of soap and keeps them (wrapped) in his pockets.

I think part of the reason he developed these phobias in the first place (they certainly weren't triggered by us) was his intensive readings of science books and such. He also volunteered for a local ocean water quality organization (Surfrider Foundation) and spent a summer doing weekly tests of water quality at our local beach. Naturally, I thought this was a great thing, but now I see he just got more obsessed with germs by doing this. I hesitate to show him any more info because he typically finds one little fact and blows it out of proportion.

Anyway, back to travel talk...
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 01:18 PM

Have you considered vacationing in Hawaii instead?

Seriously, I've thought about your question quite a bit since I first read it, and have to say I think Mexico could be a pretty bad experience for all 3 of you of given these circumstances.
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

Well...
My husband is determined to get him through it. We've waited 8 years to travel beyond our comfort zone (we've taken him to Hawaii twice and he was very happy in France, NY, Cape Cod, etc). Let's just say I'm packing lots of chammomile tea (for me!)

So yep, I've been losing sleep over this, but I felt the same way before we went to France (our son came up with some phobia about France I think!)

And by the way, when I mentioned Hawaii as a vacation possibility this time around, my son screamed: "NO WAY! THERE ARE VOLCANOS THERE!!!!" (Here's one mom and dad who are actually HOPING for smog in Mexico City so it blocks the view of those, um, mountains...)

Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 01:38 PM

sorry, i forgot about the little volcano problem, i was only thinking of cleaner bathrooms!
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 01:39 PM

could he possibly stay home with friends or family? it doesn't sound like he really enjoys traveling much.
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 02:00 PM

skateboardmom, I just hope Popo doesn't blow while you are there!
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 02:20 PM

PS If you want to see where this ends up as an adult, check out this thread:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34438397
(also good for a stress-relieving chuckle, but do NOT let your son read it!)