chichen itza

Apr 9th, 2000, 03:52 PM
Sherri

chichen itza

My husband and I are taking a trip to Cancun this summer, and we'd like to visit Chichen Itza. Has anyone taken the one day Mayaland tour? How long do you get to look around the ruins before you must return? I've heard the souvenirs are much cheaper at a stop just before you get there. Do you have enough time to shop? Was the tour worth the money? Thanks for any help you can give us!

Apr 10th, 2000, 09:41 AM
C.Clark

Hi Sherri, we hired a guide when we were there and it was great. I think that everybody going to Chichen Itza should spend at least one night at the Mayaland Hotel, it is with out a doubt one of the most beautiful hotels that we've ever stayed at and we travel alot.
If you stay there and you have a quest card you can get a rate of 50% off. Stay in one of the bungalows. BEAUTIFUL!!!!

Apr 10th, 2000, 04:40 PM
Sherri

Thanks for the reply! Did you drive to Chichen Itza or take a tour bus? How much are the bungalows at the Mayaland hotel? Is there enough to see at Chichen Itza to spend two days there? As you can probably tell, we're totally clueless!

Apr 10th, 2000, 05:24 PM
Randy

Sherri-
We were just at Chichen Itza last Thursday. We did not drive, although the new toll road that runs very near to here is as smooth and flat as anything you'd find in the U.S. Just know that the toll on it is VERY high compared to N. American standards. It is $130 pesos each way, making the toll about $27 US. We hopped a tour from our base in Cancun, enjoyed the bus ride (takes about 2 hours, maybe a bit more). We did stop at a fairly large "tourist trap" on the old road (the Libre) near the ruins and to be fair to the vendors there, the quality and prices were pretty good. Be prepared to bargain for everything. There are no craft stands of any kind in the ruins, just a stand that sells dates printed in various colors in a Mayan-like language--you pick the date you want (birthday, anniversary, etc.) and they have it produced for you 30 minutes later. There are at least 2 drink/beverage stands, but I don't remember if they sell any crafts at all--I don't think they do.
This is a fascinating place and at least with our tour we had plenty of time to see and climb the main pyramid, the sacrficial well, the game area, the temple of 1000 columns along with the observatory, the nunnery and several other sites in the "old" section.

Can't help you on the Mayaland tour, but I think our tour with Chaza Travel is fairly typical of the ones offered. Have fun!

Apr 11th, 2000, 07:01 AM
sherri

Thanks for the info Randy. Where did you find out about the Chaza Travel Tour? Are there many tour companies that offer tours of Chichen Itza? On your tour, how much time did you get to look around before you had to go back? Thanks again!

Apr 11th, 2000, 10:11 AM
C.Clark

Hi Sherri, we just took a regular bus. The express buses leave in the morning. The price is about 6.00 There's lots to see around there. We didn't care for Cancun so we decides to see alittle of the Yucatan. We went to Merida after Chichen Itza and loved it. The looks reminded us of New Orleans except that it was clean and safe. What ever you do have fun!!!

Apr 13th, 2000, 08:29 AM
Randy

Sherri-

We stayed at the Sun Palace (Kilometer 20) in Cancun and Chaza had a desk right in the hotel. They also did pick ups with many of the hotels in the hotel zone. I suspect that their tour is similar to the rest of the tour companies, but don't know for sure.

Our tour was all day. We left at 7:20, stopped at the "tourist trap" I mentioned above for about 45 minutes and otherwise headed right to Chichen Itza. Our guide toured us for about 90 minutes and we had about 2 hours on our own, stopped for a late lunch in Valodolid and got back to the hotel about 6 p.m.

We didn't feel rushed at all on this tour. For us it was perfect--my wife, 13 year old daughter and I didn't have to think about anything. We read and snoozed on the tour bus, enjoyed the lunch meal, loved climbing the pyramid--(it's entirely different climbing back down--a bit scary), etc. It was perfect for us.

Be prepared--Chichen Itza will be VERY hot in the summer. Take an umbrella to shield you from the sun and bring water or buy soft drinks from one of the 2 refreshment stands within C-Itza. It's very hot everywhere in the summer and the heat really reflects off of the stone buildings. Still, a great place to visit!!

Apr 14th, 2000, 01:52 PM
bronwyn

tan.

Apr 14th, 2000, 02:00 PM
bronwyn

sorry sherrie my message didnt post,
but we went to Chichen Itza March 25
it was wonderful. stayed at Mayaland.
Check their website Mayaland .com they
have prices posted. You need several hours at the ruins, plan on splitting
your time between early morning and late
afternoon. Dont forget the light show
at night which is included in the entry
fee of about 7.50$. There are many places to get souvenirs.Have fun.

Apr 16th, 2000, 02:41 AM
Sue C

The trip is about 2-3 hours, don't let that stop you it is worth the wait. The souvineers are more expensive off the island but you might run into a piece that you will just want to have. Try haggling. The walking away thing seems to work alot..smile. You get a guided tour then usually an hour or so to be on your own. A great souvenier to get is a cartouch made with your name in the Maya alphabet. To wear as a necklace. It's a great conversation piece. They can also make you a Maya calendar with a special occasion for you. We had our wedding anniversary made up and it is very special to have. You will love it, take the time and effort.It is a chance in a life time, just dress very light you will be in the jungle.