Search

Chichen Itza

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23rd, 1999, 10:06 AM
Trevor

Chichen Itza

My wife and I are returning to Mexico for our 3rd time. We have stayed in Manzanillo and Peurto Vallarta previously. We enjoy day trips and using the public transportation system. From Manzanillo we travelled to Barra de Navidad and the state capital Colima by bus. These trips took several hours, but allowed us to return in the same day. We enjoyed the colonial culture in Colima and the beach and artist culture at Barra. <BR> <BR>This time we are staying near Tulum (south of Cancun)and would like to see some ruins, dolphins, culture, arts, etc. I know that Chichen Itza is in the neighbourhood. How far is it from Playa Del Carmen or Cancun? Can you get there by bus? Should we rent a car? Where else should we visit? <BR> <BR>Thank-you, <BR> <BR>Trevor

Old Sep 23rd, 1999, 10:57 AM
mary

Cancun to Playa Del Carmen is about 1 hrs travel. Chichen Itza is 4 hrs by bus. At X-elCaret (forgive the spelling) is a day trip to include Swimming with the Dolphins. Check out more messages here on Fedor's on Mexico. Also plan to spend a day at Cozumel. Ferry from Play del Carmen is $12.U.S. There are also ruins at Coba - near Tulum.

Old Sep 27th, 1999, 03:37 PM
Jim

You will be real close to the Coba ruins. They are well worth the 45 minute bus ride from Tulum. Chichen Itza from what I heard is very nice, but really touristy. The Tulum ruins are kind of the same way. Coba, on the other hand, is undiscovered, in fact they are still finding new buildings. You follow these jungle paths and all of a sudden you are at the base of a huge pyramid. You feel like Indian Jones. Buses leave from Tulum Pueblo and there are guides that will show you around at the entrance to Coba. We got a map from a travel guide and did it ourselves. There are a couple of resturants (fairly good), but nothing else in Coba. Do Tulum ruins first thing in the A.M. before the Cancun tours arrive. Playa Del Carmen is a great place to party and see some mexican culture (get there soon because it is being "Cancunized") Take a cab or save by taking the bus from Tulum Pueblo directly to downtown Playa (all buses going north and south stop there) Feeling adventurous, try the outdoor chicken BBQ on the main drag of Tulum Pueblo. It looks scary, but it is the best BBQ I have ever had. Tulum, by the way is kind of a funky place. The beach area and ruins are a mile northeast of the actual town (Tulum Pueblo). The town has little to offer other than the bus stop and the BBQ. If you are going to be there for a while, it may get old. 2-3 days is enough to see Tulum and then maybe head up to Playa Del Carmen for a while.

Old Sep 28th, 1999, 07:14 AM
Sue C NYC

I can't speak for anyone else, but I LOVE Cancun. Believe me I know I am not in America. There are malls and restaurants but there is no mistaking the fact that you are in another country. The beaches are beautiful and clean. The water is crystal clear. The ruins are about a 3 hour ride from Cancun and well worth the trip. If you have any questions feel free to email me. I have been to Cancun 5 times and will be down again in November.

Old Sep 28th, 1999, 07:14 AM
Sue C NYC

I can't speak for anyone else, but I LOVE Cancun. Believe me I know I am not in America. There are malls and restaurants but there is no mistaking the fact that you are in another country. The beaches are beautiful and clean. The water is crystal clear. The ruins are about a 3 hour ride from Cancun and well worth the trip. If you have any questions feel free to email me. I have been to Cancun 5 times and will be down again in November.

Old Sep 28th, 1999, 08:06 AM
dan woodlief

I second the idea of going to Coba; it is easy to do with a car or by hiring a taxi (we got one to take us there from Tulum and wait two hours before returning for about $35). I wouldn't miss Tulum either though. The ruins are not that impressive, and it can be crowded unless you go early or late in the day, but the setting is unique and quite beautiful. If you go to one though, make it Chichen Itza. Yes it is crowded and touristy, but for a reason. These ruins are quite spectacular, and it is one of the most important Mayan sites anywhere. The best way to go to Chichen Itza is to go and stay overnight. Buses will get you there no earlier than 9:30 to 10:30 when it is getting crowded, and you will have a long ride back. A car would be another good option. We found that only the second class buses left Cancun early for Chichen Itza, so we took one. The problem is that these buses are quite a bit slower than the later first class buses, so you don't end up saving much time - they are more scenic though.