Cheap stays in RIO during Carnaval '98

Old Jun 23rd, 1997, 12:18 PM
Elaine

Cheap stays in RIO during Carnaval '98

Does anyone have any advice on where to stay during Carnaval? I'm looking for a cheap stay with a great location that is close to the main festivities.

Thanks.

Old Jun 23rd, 1997, 05:44 PM
Eduardo Morita

You may look some places near "Sambódromo" near the "Presidente Vargas Avenue" . But near this place you don't find nice places to stay. The best place you can find in "Ipanema"or "Barra da Tijuca". A name of hotel that we stay when we go to Rio call "Barra Sol" , it's not so expensive, but it isn't near "Sambódromo". You'll take about 50 minutes to go.

Old Jun 24th, 1997, 04:38 AM
Ronaldo Rosa

When talking about cheap stays, youth hostels are always a good choice. At Rio, they´ve packs for carnival and I think you´ll spend about $20/day, with breakfast. I´ve been at Rio´s hostel for three times and it´s really very good. I´m sure that you´ll get friends very fast and have a nice carnival! For information about youth hostels go http://www.iyhf.org/ I think that you´ll have to book it as soon as possible.

Old Aug 3rd, 1997, 05:02 PM
Beth

Unfortunatly Rio is not cheap any more. Brazil has tied the Real(their money) with the US dollar. This makes it expensive and what you get for your money is not very good. I would contact the Brazillian Tourist Board in New York or the Embassy in D.C and they should be able to provide you with a list of hotels and their prices. Good Luck!

Old Aug 9th, 1997, 09:44 AM
Ric

If you're looking for a hostel, there's a list of them (belonging to all hostel networks) on the "International Hostelling" link at travlang.com. When picking your hostel ("albergue" in Portuguese), bear in mind that the ones located in CATETE, FLAMENGO and BOTAFOGO neighborhoods are always close to a subway station, which is the best way to get to Sambódromo, the samba-school parade venue. But... if you choose to stay in these quarters you'll be far away from Rio's beaches and hangouts. If you can pay up to $75 a night -- which is a bargain nowadays in Brazil -- I'd recommend you to book as soon as possible a room at ARPOADOR INN (tel. 5521-2476090, fax 5521-5115094), the best value inn in all of Rio, for it's beachside in a little peninsula that separates Copacabana and Ipanema beaches. You'll be close to the best beach (Ipanema, lifesaver post #9), and bar clusters (Baixo Leblon, Baixo Gávea), and will be caught by the Banda de Ipanema parade -- an event that occurs twice during Carnival throughout Ipanema streets. The official Carnival parade is held on Sunday and Monday nights, and you'll need either a ticket (contact a travel agent) or a connection in a samba school to get you a costume (about $400) to go in the parade. There's a "Rio Carnival Guide" published by Casa Amarela (you can order at [email protected]) that explains step by step how you can take part at Carnival in Rio.
Rio Carnival parade is for sure the biggest show on Earth. But if you'd prefer to go to a town where carnival is a 24-hour, all-over-the-place, free-for-all affair, go to Salvador instead. Salvador has the best street carnival nowadays in Brazil.

Old Aug 9th, 1997, 09:44 AM
Ric

If you're looking for a hostel, there's a list of them (belonging to all hostel networks) on the "International Hostelling" link at travlang.com. When picking your hostel ("albergue" in Portuguese), bear in mind that the ones located in CATETE, FLAMENGO and BOTAFOGO neighborhoods are always close to a subway station, which is the best way to get to Sambódromo, the samba-school parade venue. But... if you choose to stay in these quarters you'll be far away from Rio's beaches and hangouts. If you can pay up to $75 a night -- which is a bargain nowadays in Brazil -- I'd recommend you to book as soon as possible a room at ARPOADOR INN (tel. 5521-2476090, fax 5521-5115094), the best value inn in all of Rio, for it's beachside in a little peninsula that separates Copacabana and Ipanema beaches. You'll be close to the best beach (Ipanema, lifesaver post #9), and bar clusters (Baixo Leblon, Baixo Gávea), and will be caught by the Banda de Ipanema parade -- an event that occurs twice during Carnival throughout Ipanema streets. The official Carnival parade is held on Sunday and Monday nights, and you'll need either a ticket (contact a travel agent) or a connection in a samba school to get you a costume (about $400) to go in the parade. There's a "Rio Carnival Guide" published by Casa Amarela (you can order at [email protected]) that explains step by step how you can take part at Carnival in Rio.
Rio Carnival parade is for sure the biggest show on Earth. But if you'd prefer to go to a town where carnival is a 24-hour, all-over-the-place, free-for-all affair, go to Salvador instead. Salvador has the best street carnival nowadays in Brazil.

Old Sep 16th, 1997, 05:28 PM
Lee

I have heard that the Innkeepers in Rio are very funny when it comes to guests in your room. A friend of mine has suggested I rent an apatrment while in Rio. Does anyone know how I can go about this?