Search

Caye Caulker

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2001, 05:07 PM
kathy

Caye Caulker

<BR>Is it true that there are no cars on Caye Caulker? If so, how does one get from the airport to the hotel? Obviously, I know very little and any and all advise would be appreciated.

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 03:15 AM
Eva

As I recall, transport is by electric golf cart. Your hotel will probably pick you up -- once you land at the airport, have one of the agents call them.

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 05:30 AM
Lan Sluder

There are (almost) no cars on Caulker. The island is small, and the streets are all sand. Folks mostly just walk, though there are golf carts. <BR> <BR> Most visitors arrive by water taxi from Belize City (US$7.50 one-way, about 45 minutes). You are dropped at the public pier on the front side, and most of the hotels are within a short walk north or south from there, and some hotels such as Trends Beach Front Hotel and Seaside Cabanas are right at the pier. (I did the update for the new Fodor's Belize & Guatemala Guide but note that somehow as the guide passed through several hands an error crept into my report on Trends Beach Hotel -- the guide as published says it is not on the water, whereas it in fact is on the water -- the original Trends Guesthouse is the one not on the water.) <BR> <BR>The airstrip, not really an airport, is at the south end of the village, and you can walk to your hotel or take a golf cart. <BR> <BR>--Lan Sluder

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 04:16 PM
Kathy

<BR>Thanks to those who have responded, to be clearer: I am flying in and staying at The Trents Beachfront. Still wondering just how long this island is. And is the Pier mentioned above the same one where tours are picked up? I understand that there are several hotels however each is apparently very small. Any other help is most appreciated.

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 04:39 PM
GoToTheSource

Why not contact Trent's and ask your very specific questions. <BR>Don't they have a fax or e-mail or a phone?

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 05:02 PM
Lan Sluder

Yes, Trends Beachfront (not Trents) is at the main public pier on the front side. That's where the Caye Caulker Water Taxi boats come in and where some (not all) tours and trips leave from. <BR> <BR>Can't recall the exact length of the island and don't have a map right at hand, but I'd guess 4 miles or so, but that includes the area north of the split. As a practical matter the village and developed area of the south part of the island is quite small. Never timed it but it might take 20 or 25 minutes to walk from the split to the south end. The island is basically just three "streets" wide. <BR> <BR>--Lan Sluder

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 05:03 PM
Kathy

<BR>Thanks to all, any other comments or suggestions. It appears there are plenty of rooms so I believe I'm going w/o reservations since they all want a signed agreement with my CC on it, this sounds extremely strange after traveling all over the world with giving just the number to reserve the first nite. Any advice?