Search

Cash in Mexico

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22nd, 2023, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Cash in Mexico

I was coming to report how things worked out but see the previous thread is closed off??

Taking the ~$1000 cash worked perfectly for a 10 day vacation in Puerto Vallarta. I had it half in peso already and half in USD that I changed along the way at a cambio. There was a safe in my room programmed for me upon arrival. This is all in (food, transportation, gifts, pocket money, donations, etc.) and arrived home with about 600 peso and 50 bucks USD left.

Whew better than my younger years when I remember arriving home with 76 cents
Old Nov 22nd, 2023, 02:23 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Well, 600 peso = about $35 so you've got a good 85 bucks seed money for the next trip - better than 76˘
Old Nov 23rd, 2023, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

Enough peso for an airport taxi next trip! That 76 cents was between me and the boyfriend, foolishness of youth -lol
Old Nov 24th, 2023, 08:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have 600 pesos left from a trip to Cozumel earlier this year to work on the Fodor's guidebook. I know I'll get back to Mexico again and again, so it'll get used. It's that leftover currency from places where I might never return that end up being souvenirs.
Old Dec 14th, 2023, 05:09 AM

why did you take so much cash ? most places i went to took credit cards ....
Old Dec 15th, 2023, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

Several reasons. Because many places in Puerto Vallarta do not take credit cards. Plus cash avoids any problems with a card being skimmed, scammed, or compromised. And it meant I didn't have to go to a bank or use an ATM.
Old Dec 15th, 2023, 10:07 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by suze
Several reasons. Because many places in Puerto Vallarta do not take credit cards. Plus cash avoids any problems with a card being skimmed, scammed, or compromised. And it meant I didn't have to go to a bank or use an ATM.
Is it a problem these days in Mexico with a card being "skimmed, scammed, or compromised"?
Old Dec 15th, 2023, 10:58 AM

The risk of cash being lost or stolen is far greater than a card being compromised. Card providers offer an extraordinary amount of protection in the event of fraud or theft. Once cash is gone, it’s gone. The only remedy would be via a travel insurance policy and even that would likely be limited to a couple of hundred $/€/Ł.
Old Dec 15th, 2023, 11:10 AM

"Is it a problem these days in Mexico with a card being "skimmed, scammed, or compromised"?"
In a word, no. In 13 years living in Mexico and another 25 or so traveling throughout the country, I've never had a card skimmed, scammed or compromised. And I live off of atm cards when I do need cash which our landlady & mechanic prefers. And of course, some small merchants don't take cards particularly in tianguis etc. Otherwise 90% of our other purchases are with credit cards. Fact is, you're more likely to lose or misplace cash if you carry or bring large amounts than having a card compromised. Or receive counterfeit bills as change. Or the old switcheroo where you give a taxi driver 200, but he says you only gave him a 20. If a credit card is compromised or stolen, you have protection from your carrier bank. If you lose cash or have it stolen, you're screwed. And I have been pick-pocketed of cash, even from my front pocket. And Mexico has been years ahead of the US with its POS technology, having implemented long ago EMV (chip card) and the use of wireless terminals where the card never leaves your sight. So the idea that cash offers greater protection from fraud is irrational. If someone simply prefers cash over plastic; that's another matter.
Crellston: typing at the same time. Obviously we agree.

Old Dec 15th, 2023, 12:03 PM

crellston & baldOne -- thanks! I agree with both of you. That's how I feel re cash -- much easier to loose and I never carry a lot. Your posts reminded me on our last trip in MexCity we were scammed and got a counterfeit bill. A hotel recognized the counterfeit. We were instructed to go to a bank and fill out a bunch of forms which we did. Never got our $$ back. We also were scammed by a taxi driver last trip -- we have never been scammed anywhere before and twice in one trip! So as you suggest I will stick with the trusty cr card or ATM card. Looking forward to returning to Mexico!

Last edited by yestravel; Dec 15th, 2023 at 12:10 PM.
Old Dec 19th, 2023, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

Just sharing how things work for me. The cash is locked in the roof safe, as I mentioned, I'm not carrying it around with me other than the plane ride down.
Old Dec 19th, 2023, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

"I will stick with the trusty cr card or ATM card"

That's fine until they do not work. Obviously you have never been in the situation where your ATM card doesn't work... anywhere.

Old Dec 19th, 2023, 01:13 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
In Mexico & elsewhere I travel with both, several hundred in cash & cards, credit & atm. I see no point not doing so, to make life simpler if one method goes sideways. Why not?

Old Dec 19th, 2023, 02:13 PM

brought it but didn't really need it

We brought about $200 in pesos with us. Other than buying a snack on a tour and paying for taxis we didn't really need it (we were staying at a resort where we could charge almost everything to the room). I ended up giving most of it away as tips at the end of the trip
Old Dec 19th, 2023, 03:06 PM
Original Poster

These replies show it just depends your situation... do you live full time in Mexico? Are you at an All Inclusive resort? Have you rented a condo or apartment for your stay? How long is the trip?

For Laura above, you must mean $200 usd into peso which would be ~3,500mxn? Because 200 mxn is only $12 usd I don't stay in places where you can "charge to the room".

That's why it is great to hear from other "tourists" their experiences.

Old Dec 19th, 2023, 03:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Sometimes one can get a better deal on excursions etc., even on accommodations.
Old Dec 19th, 2023, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by suze
"I will stick with the trusty cr card or ATM card"

That's fine until they do not work. Obviously you have never been in the situation where your ATM card doesn't work... anywhere.
Actually I have, a couple times. Somehow I manage to work it out.
“How long is the trip?” - I travel a lot now that I am retired. And I travel for weeks even a couple months at a time. Taking cash would be a pain.

Michelle- I agree and that is something I know in advance and get money from an ATM.

Last edited by yestravel; Dec 19th, 2023 at 03:58 PM.
Old Dec 19th, 2023, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

Of course longer trips or living in Mexico is different from a tourist staying in an apartment in old town Puerto Vallarta. As I clearly stated my approach was for a 10 day vacation trip, staying in a single loction. The max was $1000 in cash. So $100/day pocket money. Not funding for extended traveling ormoving around the country.

Old Dec 30th, 2023, 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by lauramsgarden
We brought about $200 in pesos with us. Other than buying a snack on a tour and paying for taxis we didn't really need it (we were staying at a resort where we could charge almost everything to the room). I ended up giving most of it away as tips at the end of the trip
Yeah, some of us tried to tell you that might happen, LOL.
​​​​
​​​​​​It is even nicer when alternative recommendations are allowed here.

Last edited by mlgb; Dec 30th, 2023 at 01:51 AM.
Old Jan 12th, 2024, 05:02 PM

This is one reason I don't recommend bringing dollars to exchange at a bank while on vacation in Mexico.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -