Reload this Page >

Caracas for 5 days - what to do?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 1999, 10:59 AM
Heather McDermott

My friends and I are flying into Caracas at the end of March for five days on the impoverished student's budget. We have not booked a hotel yet. Any suggestions on places to go, things to do, places to stay? We are interested in an beaches near Caracas, relative safety, and just about anything. Inexpensive but not shady hotel suggestions and general guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old Jan 22nd, 1999, 04:15 PM
Louis

A long time ago I went to Caracas on business. Without much money I would find very little of interest in Caracas. Also, the coast is not an area of beautiful beaches as compared to the Yacatan part of Mexico. If you have no good reason to go there with very little money, you ought to rethink your plans. There is nothing of real interest in down town Caracas. On the positive side compared to the coast, the weather in Caracas is pleasant and the views of the mountains over the city are outstanding from hotels that are outside of your budget. I have a feeling that you should go back to the drawing board. Perhaps you should consider going to the area around Akumal in the Yucatan. There you can get some very modest places to stay on the beach and you are also in the area of some very nice Mayan ruins. Again, I think you should study your geography and history again before going to Caracas as a destination. Also, I don't think you will find many there friendly to improverished students.

Old Jan 22nd, 1999, 06:52 PM
Al

The previous poster is 100% correct. Caracas is inland, in a valley, about 15 miles from the port city of LaGuiara. You never saw a more rundown, rough-looking place than LaGuaira. From there into Caracas you pass mile after mile of shanty-towns. We were told that the police will not enter them because of the danger. Army troops are used to search for fugitives there as a result. There are no clean beaches near LaGuaira, either. After dark, Caracas is no place to be. Our guide, a native of that city, told us that he would never venture out once the sun went down. My advice: follow the preceding warning...rethink your plans...for your own safety.

Old Jan 23rd, 1999, 08:06 PM
BobbyB

The above messages are 100% correct. I lived in Caracas for 2 years. The only good thing about Caracas is the climate. It is a VERY dangerous city with nothing to offer the tourist. The nearest decent beaches are several hours away and they are not very clean. If you want a beach vacation go to Daytona Beach or some other area of Florida.

Old May 31st, 1999, 05:15 PM
Mike

Hey Heather, <BR>Are you out there still? <BR>Im going to Caracus in July for two weeks to take part in a construction project. <BR>any reccommendations-besides learning how to spell recommendation? <BR> <BR>Mike