Car Rental Cancun

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 06:26 AM
Lois

Car Rental Cancun

We would like a car for 4 adults for one day - June 12. We would like it delivered to hotel (or able to pick up easly from Casa Maya).

Can anyone suggest reliable company and possible cost for one day only rental?

Should I arrange in advance (if so how).

Thanks

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 08:45 AM
Nancy

You can visit locogringo.com to make advance car rental reservations.
Also, most of the known companies - like Hertz, Alamo, etc. - have kiosks at the airport, and if you are going in the off season, you'll have no problem with availability.
You might also check with the hotel. They frequently will provide the service you are asking about through a local rental company - check with the concierge...

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 08:55 AM
parafire

I have been to Cancun twice for week long stays. It is not necessary to rent a car in Cancun. Cabs are cheap and the bus system is the best. Driving in Mexico is too much of a hassle to even think about while on vacation.

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 05:49 AM
Art F.

I rented from Executive over the internet. They are located in the JW Marriott. but they will deliver the car to you. i found them very reliable. Make sure you sign where it says Decline for the collision waiver if you have a platimum card. Check with your credit card co. Also, make sure they mark all the dents and nicks before you get in the car. We rented a small car for $45. then we splurged on a minivan for $99. It was great. We went to Playa del Carmen for the day. We had a great time. It was the sleepy Mexican tourist town we were looking for.
P.S. Gas station attendants get 5-10 pesos as a tip.
The beaches at PDC are great. But if you feel adventurous go to Casa Cenote. There is a beach restaurant and they rent snorkels. Its in the middle of nowhere. You'll find it before Tulum, after XelHa. There is a small sign on the road.

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 10:04 AM
Mary

Just a piece of advice concerning the collison insurance and a platinum credit card. Make extra sure that your credit card will cover all damages or you have enough credit to pay all damages. In mexico, when you get into an accident, everyone is guilty and its a felony in that country. No one will be permitted to leave the country until all damages have been paid. The insurance will run around $13 a day a deductibe depending on the type of car you rent. The basic car would be $1000, in the case of a mini-van, could be $2000-not sure just know there is a deductible.