Search

Car or SUV

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2015, 06:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car or SUV

We are just planning our first trip to Costa Rica. We are planning to avoid the all inclusive thing and see the country. We have taken rental cars off road before with no problems but have also used SUV's for areas like the Pine Ridge Reserve in Belize where a car would have been awful. What should we be using in Costa Rica?

We plan to spend 2 1/2 to 3 weeks this Feb. Mar so any suggestions of cool places to see and stay would be appreciated. I have started reading some of the comments on the website and have a few ideas but with 6 weeks to go a plan has to be partially developed.
Old Jan 8th, 2015, 02:28 PM

I think it depends on where you decide to go. Some roads are in great shape, but other areas are rough, bouncy, and full of rocks and potholes.

We've been to a lot of cool places that we've enjoyed - the Arenal/La Fortuna area is a favorite for adventure activities and the volcano, Manuel Antonio for wildlife and the beach, the Osa Peninsula for great hiking and wildlife/more off the grid than Manuel Antonio, canal-based Tortuguero is fun in turtle season (July-October) so maybe better for another time, Monteverde is nice if you want cloud forest and birding. There are also some things closer to the central valley area like Poas volcano and the La Paz Waterfall Gardens, about an hour from SJO. Take a peek at some of those and see what you think.
Old Jan 9th, 2015, 11:17 AM

I'd get an SUV. We had one, and while we didn't go anywhere off road, we did encounter some rather rough (paved) roads. Plus sometimes parking lots aren't paved, it rains a lot so there is mud and ruts. Having the extra clearance is nice.
Old Jan 10th, 2015, 03:37 PM

We'll be leaving in about 9 days. We expect to pick up a rental car and are forewarned that there is some kind of mandatory insurance that will cost up to $20 per day, although we've already prepaid for the car through Eurocar. It is supposed to be a small SUV. I guess we'll find out when we get there.

I've got extra CDW through AmEx, and to be honest, the car is the only thing I plan to use Am Ex for, so I am also ready for the big "hold" on that card.

We plan to drive from SJ to La Fortuna, then to Playa Samara, and explore around there a bit. This (as is the time you'll be there) is supposed to be the dry season. Fingers crossed!
Old Jan 12th, 2015, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help. Do we have to prebook rooms for the entire trip or can we get clean safe rooms with little notice and fair pricing.
Old Jan 12th, 2015, 12:54 PM

We always prebook because we like to stay at certain places, and they do sell out. If you aren't that picky, you can probably find places since it isn't high season, unless you're going during Spring Break which would be busy. I think that's kind of a pain though to take the risk and not really know where you'll be staying.
Old Jan 12th, 2015, 02:10 PM

I guess it depends on where you are going and how important it is to you where you stay. I've only been to CR once and we did a combination. Wifi is pretty common, so we were able to use our phone to book ahead a couple days once our plans firmed up.
Old Jan 12th, 2015, 03:06 PM

Good point, november.
Old Jan 12th, 2015, 05:09 PM
Original Poster

It is just we don't want to get stuck in one place to long or we may want to stay an extra day.

Here is our schedule so far and you can let me know if I am one the right track

Day 1 arrive San Jose stay over night
Day 2 pick up car and go to Manuel Antonio for day 3 and 4 to decompress
Day 5 go to Poas Volcano Park area for day 6 and 7
Day 8 go to Mounteverde park/ Arenal area for day 9and 10
Day 11 go to Cano Negro area for day 12
Day 13 go to Rincon de le Vieeja park area and explore day 14
Day 15- beach near Golfo de Papagayo area stay for day 16 and 17
Day 18 drive to Liberia
Day 19 fly home
Old Jan 13th, 2015, 07:33 AM

I think the Monteverde area and the Arenal area are getting shortchanged. It looks like you're going to Monteverde for one day. It's a pain to get there. I wouldn't go unless you can stay for at least two nights, maybe three. The Arenal area is worth at least three or four days on its own. You have two days at Cano Negro. Are you planning on staying there? I would just do that as a day trip from the Arenal area with Sunset Tours or Desafio. What are you planning on doing in the Poas Volcano Park area? You have a lot of time there too.
Old Jan 15th, 2015, 06:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks I took a day off of Poas and moved Cano Negro to Mounteverde. But I am apprehensive about booking all these days in advance. We will book the last 3 day in Playa Hermosa. Hopefully we will be able to find a few places to stay on the fly or we will be car camping.
Old Jan 16th, 2015, 06:22 AM

Let us know how it goes - would love to read your trip report.