Cancun Snorkeling Questions

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 02:17 PM
Rupa

Cancun Snorkeling Questions

This may sound silly but I wanted some advise on Snorkling. I do not swim, can float a bit but not too well and am going on a trip to Cancun in a few days. Would I be able to Snorkle? Quite a few people said that with floaters and all kinds of equipment it is very possible. How possible or impossible is it to Snorkle for someone that doesn't swim? Thanx in advance.

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 02:26 PM
Ana

I'm not a strong swimmer and have done this with the floating devices. Of course you won't be able to go underwater and really see the fish up close, but Cancun is a wonderful place to paractice snorkeling.
Don't miss out on the fun.

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 02:42 PM
Rupa

So I would be able to stay afloat facing down in the water w/o knowing how to swim as long as I have floating gear? How deep or shallow is the water where people usually snorkle in Cancun? I'm asking because I may not be afraid of 30 or 40 feet of water but might freak out if it was deeper then that. Thanx.

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 02:58 PM
Ana

If you can't swim at all, I would first advise that you don't go alone. It's always conforting to have someone that does swim next to you.

Then I would advise you to try nice calm waters, such as Xelha (no waves), or Isla Mujeres (Garrafon).

You would be able to float face down, keep your snorkel out of the water (practice in the hotel pool first), and you should be alright.

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 02:59 PM
Tina

Rupa
Yes, you'll be able to stay afloat facing down in the water and you don't have to go deep if you're not comfortable. When I was a beginner in snorkeling, I used a vest which I prefer than holding a noodle. Whatever floating device you use, why don't you practice swimming with it before you go snorkeling. This would make you feel comfortable in the water and calm down your fears.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 04:27 AM
Rupa

Thank you very much all for your great advice. I don't go snorkeling till the end of next week but will be in Cancun in another day. Can't wait. I will start practicing as soon as I get there at the pool.