cancun/los carbos

Old Jul 31st, 1999, 08:24 PM
les

cancun/los carbos

For the last few years, in December, we've gone to Puerto Vallarta. Loved it. Stayed at La Jolla De Misoloya and the Krystal. both great places.
But now it's time for a change. Thinking of Cancun or Los Carbos area.
If you've been to either in mid Decemberand can compare to PV we need your help.
Thanks

Old Aug 1st, 1999, 04:24 AM
Pancho

I am familiar with all three areas at all times of the year. Which one is better depends almost entirely on what your preferences are. If beaches are your top priority than Cancun is preferable. If you like to fish thsn Cabo San Lucas is the best.

Both Cancun and Cabo San Lucas are very Americanized. They are relatively expensive and totally lacking in culture. If you are looking for the traditional Mexican culture than neither one is a good choice.

My own personal opinion is that Puerto Vallarta is far better than either of the others. The only negative with Puerto Vallarta is that the beaches are pretty poor. Beaches are not very important to us so that is not a very big factor. On the other hand Puerto Vallarta is much richer in culture and the Mexican experience. It is also much more scenic. December in Puerto Vallarta is a great experience with the traditional Mexican celebration of Christmas with the posadas etc.

Old Aug 8th, 1999, 09:18 AM
Linda

I can see why you keep going back to PV. We are getting ready for our 5th trip next month! Still, change is good. Cabo is for the party crowd these days; not as cozy as it used to be. There is still a lot to be said for the beaches and fishing, and great food. It is more expensive than it used to be. The best hotels, in my view, are the Pueblo Bonita, and the Rosa (owned by he same group)or the Melia San Lucas, all in town. I dont like the corridor because it takes so long to get to town, and we go back and forth a lot. Cancun was built entirely from the beach up, as a resort town, so it really has no individuality, but ya gotta do it once! We had the time of our lives there, and the culture is not that far away! We rented a jeep and drove through the jungle on our own and stopped at all the towns on the coast. Tulum is awesome. ALso, took first flight out in the AM to Cozumel, rented mopeds and cruised the island with our snorkel gear, just jumping in whenever we found a good looking spot! Isla Mujeras was also a highlight. All in all, I'd say if you you want the availibility of a lot to do, go to Cancun. The prices in Cabo are too high these days to make it a better spot, I think. Maybe you should think about Manzanillo or Huatulco, instead.

Old Aug 11th, 1999, 05:01 PM
MARIA LUISA

Hi les:
I live in cancun, and i have an option for you. You can enyoy the beach here, and you have the wonderful opportunity to visit a whole different face of Mexico, you can take what we call a circuit of a couple of days through the peninsula of yucatan, and visit Chichen itza with it monumentality,Merida colonial city, Uxmal, one of the most beutiful archeological sites of the mayan,Celestun a flamingo reserve, many different haciendas, or the archeological sites of quintana roo, like tulum,coba,xel ha. Or you can snorkel in the wells, and visit some of the most amazing caves and virgin beaches. So you can see, there are so many things around here besides Cancun that are definetively worth seeing. If you need more info, on anything related to Cancun, let me know.

Old Aug 11th, 1999, 05:01 PM
MARIA LUISA

Hi les:
I live in cancun, and i have an option for you. You can enyoy the beach here, and you have the wonderful opportunity to visit a whole different face of Mexico, you can take what we call a circuit of a couple of days through the peninsula of yucatan, and visit Chichen itza with it monumentality,Merida colonial city, Uxmal, one of the most beutiful archeological sites of the mayan,Celestun a flamingo reserve, many different haciendas, or the archeological sites of quintana roo, like tulum,coba,xel ha. Or you can snorkel in the wells, and visit some of the most amazing caves and virgin beaches. So you can see, there are so many things around here besides Cancun that are definetively worth seeing. If you need more info, on anything related to Cancun, let me know.